How to make my own private server for friends only?

xPeekay

Help! I was hoping for a button that appear like minecraft "If you're running on Windows and just want to set up a server easily, download minecraft_server.1.8.1.exe and run it." but i can't seems to find any website or help from google or tekkit forum that teach amatuer like me on tekkit how to create my own server for friends only. Can someone please help( If possible )

That button is in the ingame menu. In singleplayer, you can just open the menu and choose "open game to LAN". This will make the internal server accept other players joining via local network. More work is required if you want them also to connect via Internet, and if you plan on scaling up, maybe you will need a dedicated server. Which is more complicated.

I find that running a dedicated server is quite simple, as long as you don't intend to tweak all the mods, and instead simply run a stock Tekkit server. 

If you're familiar with opening ports, then it's as simple as launching it up and sharing your IP address. If you're not familiar with opening ports, there are TONS of tutorials online that can do that.

As for actually running the server - right-click the server.jar file that you download (from the downloads section), and select Open With -> choose Java. That should get you going.

EDIT: If you're wanting a down and dirty walkthrough, i can probably type one up. I currently have a server that is whitelist only for just me and family / friends, running on a dedicated box in my basement.

Edited by Mauth

It's not just opening ports, which is a firewall thing, but also forwarding them from the router to the machine hosting the server. May also be necessary to open the ports on both the router and the server, depending on configuration.

Running a dedicated server is not hard by regular admin standards, but can still be daunting for newbies. So not universally recommended, unless you volunteer to babysit all those newbies.

Also, this:

As for actually running the server - right-click the server.jar file that you download (from the downloads section), and select Open With -> choose Java. That should get you going.

Yes, that will get your server going with the default amount of RAM (usually not enough) and a 50% chance of running a vanilla server on account of using the wrong of the two JAR files. Use the launch script, or suffer the consequences for not doing so.

Edited by Curunir

It's not just opening ports, which is a firewall thing, but also forwarding them from the router to the machine hosting the server. May also be necessary to open the ports on both the router and the server, depending on configuration.

Running a dedicated server is not hard by regular admin standards, but can still be daunting for newbies. So not universally recommended, unless you volunteer to babysit all those newbies.

Also, this:

Yes, that will get your server going with the default amount of RAM (usually not enough) and a 50% chance of running a vanilla server on account of using the wrong of the two JAR files. Use the launch script, or suffer the consequences for not doing so.

All true, and i should have been more precise with my description regarding ports. 

I am using a custom startup script on my linux box - and i've already set up Java to force higher ram via args in the control panel in windows... so i am jumping the gun by about 2 shots.

Hamachi does work fine for small dedicated servers, especially since it creates a static IP for each computer you are running it on.  If I weren't using it, I'd have to have everyone change the server IP every time my router needs a reboot, which happens more frequently than I'd like.

• Discord Moderator

Hamachi does work fine for small dedicated servers, especially since it creates a static IP for each computer you are running it on.  If I weren't using it, I'd have to have everyone change the server IP every time my router needs a reboot, which happens more frequently than I'd like.

Or, you could use any of the free dynamic DNS services (like https://duckdns.org/ ) and never have to worry about it.

+1 for dynamic DNS resolvers. Using No-IP for my own server.

Although it does introduce the problem of public availability, which would usually not apply for Hamachi. For a small friends-only server, this can easily be solved by using a whitelist, of course. But still, one more thing to worry about.

Hamachi also allows me to not worry about trying to play some older games that don't have active internet support, and maintaining the same IP address.  Plus it has integrated chat, which is handy.  Either way, it's already working, so I'm loath to mess with it.

• 2 months later...

Although the explanation from all of you seem simple but i dont really understand how to do it when you guys say using hamachi is the same as normal minecraft.
Can any nice soul do a short tutorial. A simple one will do (':