This entire board is Off Topic!

Nefzen

Hell on earth 30 slot server

*IP address was here*

Server stuff.

Mod Edit: Don't do this.

Hell on earth 30 slot server

*IP address was here*

Server stuff.

There's a place for server posts.  It isn't here.

There's a place for server posts. It isn't here.

Well ^that^ sure is informative... :parrot:

Since when are things not related to the modpack not allowed to be included?

These threads are for modpacks period. It's not like there are hundreds of server's out there for my 1.6.4 pack. This server will be included in the pack, as all have been that have been referenced and talked about in all former posts, IN this thread. If you haven't noticed this is the most viewed thread in Platform Potluck, and it didn't get that way through me (OP), and Hexplore-It's players being douch-nozzles, OR by way of heavy handed moderation.

So... for future reference Hexplorer's that stumble upon this, please post your actual IP's in the "correct" thread and feel free to link to that thread here to avoid this type of "moderation" in the future.

Be well.

***For future reference for those that may stumble across this while Hexploring this thread, let me explain a few things now that I have a few extra minutes away from real-life.

When I first posted this I included something along the lines of "Slow down there Captain Power-Trip," or something very similar near the beginning of my post aimed at Torezu. I edited this line out before it could be seen when I realized my sense of humor probably wouldn't be appreciated, forgetting of course that the moderators more than likely have the option to view edit history.

I meant, and still mean, the first line sarcastically saying the Torezu's comment was informative, it wasn't. He fixed this in >post #200 by including a link, and a reason for the comment in good moderator form. Hence why I thanked him in >post #201.

I asked my original question because I was seriously wondering when it may have changed, or became an issue to discuss the modpacks development including server work, chiefly because this has been discussed in previous posts within this thread with no issue.

As anyone that plays Hexplore-It knows the modpack includes Darkhax's Custom-Server mod that adds servers to the user's server list.

Since I posted this 3 posts above Nefzen's server posts in post >#190...

The v1.08b update is live. I had to push a quick update to remove the "official" server from the server list.

On that note, anyone looking to have your Hexplore-It servers publicized free of charge, or partner up for another Official Hexplore-It server, hit me up. :D

VERSION 1.08b

>Simply removed the IP from the server list, and updated the start screen.

...I assumed Nefzen was posting in regards to that.

Since this type of thing is not mentioned in the >Global Rules and the only description available for the Platform Potluck is...

5Xd0zRN.jpg

...I assumed this was a legitimate question.

My only point in including this line, " If you haven't noticed this is the most viewed thread in Platform Potluck..." was exactly what I stated. It wouldn't have gotten that way had I and the others that post been actively partaking in douchebaggery. This was not part of some malevolent agenda. It was not about garnering any sort of popularity as insinuated in >post #205. I do not feel as though I am "entitled" to anything as alluded to in >post #208 by Torezu and in >post #209 where I was referred to as an "entitled tit" by Munaus.

I'm not sure how posting a fact regarding the thread made me "arrogant" either per >post #208 but it did.

Last but not least, I included quotation marks, an apparent derision to the quadrupled-up moderation staff/team tending to the thread, to the words correct and moderation.

This was because a correct thread was not included in the moderator's post. Moderation was in quotations because I felt that, "There's a place for server posts. It isn't here" didn't exactly fall under the definition of exemplar moderation.

I have plenty more I could say, but I will leave it at that as far as this comment is concerned. I am an extremely reasonable man and find the responses to this original comment deplorable.

Edited by mine_my_own_bizz

Well ^that^ sure is informative... :parrot:

Since when are things not related to the modpack not allowed to be included?

These threads are for modpacks period. It's not like there are hundreds of server's out there for my 1.6.4 pack. This server will be included in the pack, as all have been that have been referenced and talked about in all former posts, IN this thread. If you haven't noticed this is the most viewed thread in Platform Potluck, and it didn't get that way through me (OP), and Hexplore-It's players being douch-nozzles, OR by way of heavy handed moderation.

So... for future reference Hexplorer's that stumble upon this, please post your actual IP's in the "correct" thread and feel free to link to that thread here to avoid this type of "moderation" in the future.

If you'd like to see heavy-handed, power-tripping moderation, please continue with the mod sass.  I'm simply enforcing the forum rules on server posting.  They should have their own thread, in the right section, with the right format to the posting guidelines.  All that stuff makes our lives easier, and your life on the forums longer.

The place for Custom modpack servers is here, not in the modpack thread.  I'd think you'd want people using your modpack to put their server ads where people will actually see them, instead of burying them in a 10-page thread.

I'll make a thread in the proper side of the forum.

Sounds good.

If you'd like to see heavy-handed, power-tripping moderation, please continue with the mod sass. I'm simply enforcing the forum rules on server posting. They should have their own thread, in the right section, with the right format to the posting guidelines. All that stuff makes our lives easier, and your life on the forums longer.

The place for Custom modpack servers is here, not in the modpack thread. I'd think you'd want people using your modpack to put their server ads where people will actually see them, instead of burying them in a 10-page thread.

I edited the "mod sass" out asap, to save myself from the inevitable ban due to questioning the "authority" here, but I suppose that depends on definition though of course, and I wa /am questioning "staff" so my apologies. I will find other avenues in the future to question questionable "staff" decisions.

You or another moderator may want to edit the global rules to reference the rule that you are attempting to enforce since it isn't there at this time, or add it to the description for the Platform Potluck. (Yes there is a page on how to correctly post server threads, but not the issue you are concerned with here.)

Just for reference, I don't care about when or where the server "ad" is (buried in a 10-page thread). It is posted here because I asked for them in previous posts as it has yet to be an issue here, and they are added to the modpack itself. The post here isn't about garnering popularity or advertising.

Thank you for a much more helpful post that included the necessary link.

It is what it is I suppose, problem "solved" at this point. I'll try to have players send me their server info via PMs, etc... to save moderation staff time and energy.

I'm sorry I got way too excited about trying to get a server up for blizz pack.

I'll make a thread in the proper side of the forum.

Thanks, brother! :D

***For future reference for those that may stumble across this while Hexploring this thread, let me explain a few more things now that I have a few extra minutes away from real-life.

As stated in my previous edit in post #198, I edited out what I considered to be mod-sass out asap, but of course this could be up to definition of course. Questioning any of staff's decisions could and would most likely fall under the definition of "mod-sass." Whether or not the question under scrutiny is justified and relevant or not.

Realizing that this was most likely the case I apologized. Having a question of the validity of a staff member's decision, and posing an an apology are not mutually exclusive experience and do not nullify each other.

Hence this was not some sort of "fake" apology as Torezu alleges in post# 205.

Also worth mentioning is Torezu's complaint of my,"[F]ake concern for the effort we go through to keep the forums clean and easy to use."

Umm... yes because being a modpack creator with a modpack well into the hundreds of thousands of downloads is such a rewarding experience? I am all to familiar with what it is like to be overly consumed with a "thankless" job. My concern was legitimate.

I mentioned seeking alternatives/searching out other avenues to question staff referring, to PMs, etc... It was clear to me early on that with the amount of butt-hurt I seemingly generated that anything else to be said would be irrelevant to the comment/post/thread and best handled in a different format, both now and in the future.

This wasn't about some sort of covert plot for reprisal, as Torezu alludes to in post #205, "if someone with some authority is telling you, legitimately, that's it's best to act a certain way, hinting at going over their head to do what you want anyway..."

The legitmacy of said command is clearly in question at this point even yet but that is another matter I believe comes down to the fundamental error made early on that the server comment was merely meant for advertising purposes, but I digress...

As for "doing what I want anyways..." I am pretty sure that in my first comment regarding this topic in >post #198, I instructed Hexplore-It's players to...

...And again in post #201, I said...

I'll try to have players send me their server info via PMs, etc... to save moderation staff time and energy.

Doing what I want would have entailed instructing players to continue on, business as usual. I am much more mature than that.

Awesome man, I am working a 14 hour day today at work so I won't be able to swing by just yet but I will. I will also get with you via PM about IP inclusion. ;)

sure I'll send the ip right away

just a heads up tho my spawn area is very bare bones since I wanted players to get out into the world as soon as they jump into the server

Edited by Nefzen

Posting server info is precisely about garnering popularity.  Why else would you make a server post?  I have a private server I share with 3 or 4 regulars and a couple people that get on occasionally.  I don't put up a public post about it because I don't want other people on it.

Your modpack thread is also about garnering popularity, whether you wish to admit it or not.  You even said it was.

*snip* If you haven't noticed this is the most viewed thread in Platform Potluck... *snip*

The Global Rules don't need edited to include a note to put threads/posts in the right place.  That's common sense for forum posting.  It could also be covered in the off-topic, low-effort (not bothering to locate the correct board), or Golden-Rule parts.

I edited the "mod sass" out asap, to save myself from the inevitable ban due to questioning the "authority" here, but I suppose that depends on definition though of course, and I was/am questioning "staff" so my apologies. I will find other avenues in the future to question questionable "staff" decisions.

It is what it is I suppose, problem "solved" at this point. I'll try to have players send me their server info via PMs, etc... to save moderation staff time and energy.

Those other avenues you speak of, and all the quotation marks?  They're not impressing anyone.  Neither is the fake apology, or the fake concern for the effort we go through to keep the forums clean and easy to use.  For future reference, if someone with some authority is telling you, legitimately, that's it's best to act a certain way, hinting at going over their head to do what you want anyway and being sarcastic in responses to the request is generally considered bad form.

Posting server info is precisely about garnering popularity.  Why else would you make a server post?  I have a private server I share with 3 or 4 regulars and a couple people that get on occasionally.  I don't put up a public post about it because I don't want other people on it.

Your modpack thread is also about garnering popularity, whether you wish to admit it or not.  You even said it was.

The Global Rules don't need edited to include a note to put threads/posts in the right place.  That's common sense for forum posting.  It could also be covered in the off-topic, low-effort (not bothering to locate the correct board), or Golden-Rule parts.

Those other avenues you speak of, and all the quotation marks?  They're not impressing anyone.  Neither is the fake apology, or the fake concern for the effort we go through to keep the forums clean and easy to use.  For future reference, if someone with some authority is telling you, legitimately, that's it's best to act a certain way, hinting at going over their head to do what you want anyway and being sarcastic in responses to the request is generally considered bad form.

Clearly there is no point in attempting to carry on this conversation. It would appear that this has become more of a collective monologue than any sort of constructive dialog.

I know all to well that attempting to reason a person out of a position that they did not reason themselves into is a fruitless endeavor.

As another member of staff, I'd like to take a moment to congratulate you on making me unable to take you seriously in any way by making all of your posts involved in this "argument" (Look at me, I can use quotation marks too) feature big neon green text.

Oh and also something about Torezu being right.

None of those sentences made any logical sense, except maybe the first one, which is correct.  "Collective monologue" is an oxymoron.  Regardless, I wasn't trying to start a dialogue.  I was telling you how to operate on the forums, if you would like to remain here long-term.  Your responses and the attitude behind them indicated that you might not have understood.  If you are polite and respectful, you'll go a long way here.  If you are arrogant and entitled, you won't.

As another member of staff, I'd like to take a moment to congratulate you on making me unable to take you seriously in any way by making all of your posts involved in this "argument" (Look at me, I can use quotation marks too) feature big neon green text.

Oh and also something about Torezu being right.

None of those sentences made any logical sense, except maybe the first one, which is correct.  "Collective monologue" is an oxymoron.  Regardless, I wasn't trying to start a dialogue.  I was telling you how to operate on the forums, if you would like to remain here long-term.  Your responses and the attitude behind them indicated that you might not have understood.  If you are polite and respectful, you'll go a long way here.  If you are arrogant and entitled, you won't.

More great examples of  "good form" (more quotation marks for you) and professionalism. I have tried now repeatedly to end this in the public forum. To lessen the chance of "not being here long-term." I could easily tear apart the points and comments made thus far and when I have time probably will but not in the public sphere.

You staff members that have now found the need to tag team me can and should continue further discourse in my inbox. I am far from an arrogant person, and probably about as far from entitled than you know. Sorry to have presented myself in a way that my character could be so greatly misjudged.

Here I will post this in normal text rather than the blocky green that I have posted with since the first post, so as not to further irritate you all or initiate the onslaught of more staff troops.

*snip* I could easily tear apart the points and comments made thus far and when I have time probably will but not in the public sphere.

*snip* I am far from an arrogant person, *snip*

Do you not see how these two statements are in conflict?  If you had been able to, you would have, since you didn't seem to have a problem arguing in the public sphere up to this point.  Since you felt the need to attempt to get in one last dig, please enjoy the (short) break from posting.  Oh, and go read the rules again, more carefully this time.  You are welcome to use PMs over the next day, but the First Rule of Holes will, of course, apply.

No offence to any of the mods here but isn't this forum meant for anything that is included in any packs?

If so then Bizz is well within his rights to ask for people to post the I.P.s of any server since he is actually including them within the pack, seeing as though those I.P.s are actually in the pack then those rules that you have stated are invalidated due to the fact that this forums rules do not state that this is not actually allowed, so as a new member all I am seeing is power hungry mods and I already do not like that, as a moderator you are meant to abide by the rules yourself and those that have been forced upon you as a staff member, as far as I can see, that is not happening right now.

I was once a community owner myself for about 6 years and if I had any staff that were doing this then they would have been warned or removed from staff, please state where it says that this sort of posting is not allowed and also please take in to account the fact that any I.P that is posted will end up part of the pack itself, therefore invalidating any rule that forbids this as it is actually part of the pack and isn't it a requirement to have anything in the pack posted for the public to see what is in the pack?, if so then if he doesn't post the I.P.s then then he is actually breaking another "Rule" (Seeing as you LOVE quotation marks, I have added some for you), the thing that is the most stupid about all of this is the fact that you are arguing over a few I.P.s that are actually included in the pack and you state that he is breaking rules for posting them, would I also be correct in stating that if he doesn't post what's in the pack he is also breaking the rules?.

So how is he able to win if he can't post I.P.s when he has them in his pack?

If bizz wants to post a list of the servers his pack has IPs for, in his OP, that's fine, though I question why he'd want that if his purpose isn't to garner popularity.  The difference is that such a server list would simply be one little bit of information (or two - server name and IP).  We don't want to see server ads all over the place, though.  Since the server lists are a different section of the forums, server posts in this thread are off topic, which is where the rule comes in.

I was more bothered by bizz's response than to Nefzen's server post in the first place.  Nefzen simply complied, politely and with understanding of the purpose of keeping things separate.  Bizz decided to try to take me to task for keeping the forums organized, and he did it in such a passive-aggressive way that it demanded a response.

Summary: posting names/IPs for servers that are included in the pack, and even linking to server threads if they exist - fine.  Server posts/ads in the thread, regardless of whether they're from the pack author or others - not fine.  Keep the voluntary work we do simpler by putting things where they're supposed to go.

Summary: posting names/IPs for servers that are included in the pack, and even linking to server threads if they exist - fine.  Server posts/ads in the thread, regardless of whether they're from the pack author or others - not fine.  Keep the voluntary work we do simpler by putting things where they're supposed to go.

In other words you have admitted to being wrong about your judgement of this behaviour?

All fo the Server I.P posts in this topic have been included in the pack therefore by your own knowledge and post you have said it's fine, yet you seem to think that Bizz is breaking the rules?, ow can it be allowed and not allowed?

In other words you have admitted to being wrong about your judgement of this behaviour?

All fo the Server I.P posts in this topic have been included in the pack therefore by your own knowledge and post you have said it's fine, yet you seem to think that Bizz is breaking the rules?, ow can it be allowed and not allowed?

I didn't ban him.  I kept him from posting for one day.  I will summarize the whole conversation, and then it's over, and we can move on.

1) A server post was made on the thread.

2) I told the poster to take the server post elsewhere, to maintain the divide between packs and servers.

3) Bizz decided to chastise me for making sure things go in their correct place, and power tripping when I wasn't.

4) I told him off for mod sass and not understanding how the forums work.  This is not a wiki.

5) You and he are arguing with me in support of something I've already said is fine (putting IPs in the original post) while telling me I'm wrong for enforcing the off-topic posting rules regarding server posts in this modpack thread.

I've already drawn the line (above), to keep things simple: server IPs/names in the OP fine, server posts in the thread not fine.

If you like, I can move the line, again to keep things simple (and prevent people from using self-created loopholes), so server IPs may only be posted on server threads, regardless of whether they're in the pack or not.  Another summary: bring up the topic again, and I'll simply ban you.  If you want to argue purely because you like to be contrary, do it on your own time.

So, madogdan, I have a question.

If you're disgusted with the moderation of this forum then why are you here?

Honest question. In the years I've been a mod here I've seen many people join with no other obvious purpose than to butt heads with moderators.

Are you hoping that by taking up "the good fight" you'll cause a sudden change in the community you know little about, and gain rewards from it? Expecting the owner to finally take notice and act like you believe they should. Cleaning away the rotten filth and rewarding you and others the vacant moderation positions as a token of their gratitude.

Or is this an attempt to compensate for perceived deficiencies in your real life? Take up what you see as an easy fight against the forces of oppression online as a proxy to your losing battle against unjustly oppressive parents/guardians/teachers/bosses in the real world. Use the easy wins against us criminally incompetent (and probably heavily brain damaged) moderators as a salve to sooth your bruised ego.

Oh, and somewhat unrelated. Proper paragraph punctuation is not to write a single run on sentence with comas where sentence breaks should go.

Like seating family at a table, the capital letter and period/exclamation point/question mark go at the ends to keep their little words in order. This way a casual observer doesn't mistake what little words belong to what sentence, and unruly words don't disrupt other sentences.

So, madogdan, I have a question.

If you're disgusted with the moderation of this forum then why are you here?

Honest question. In the years I've been a mod here I've seen many people join with no other obvious purpose than to butt heads with moderators.

Are you hoping that by taking up "the good fight" you'll cause a sudden change in the community you know little about, and gain rewards from it? Expecting the owner to finally take notice and act like you believe they should. Cleaning away the rotten filth and rewarding you and others the vacant moderation positions as a token of their gratitude.

Or is this an attempt to compensate for perceived deficiencies in your real life? Take up what you see as an easy fight against the forces of oppression online as a proxy to your losing battle against unjustly oppressive parents/guardians/teachers/bosses in the real world. Use the easy wins against us criminally incompetent (and probably heavily brain damaged) moderators as a salve to sooth your bruised ego.

Oh, and somewhat unrelated. Proper paragraph punctuation is not to write a single run on sentence with comas where sentence breaks should go.

Like seating family at a table, the capital letter and period/exclamation point/question mark go at the ends to keep their little words in order. This way a casual observer doesn't mistake what little words belong to what sentence, and unruly words don't disrupt other sentences.

Posts like this are pathetic and a clear sign of defeat, I may not know much about the community but I clearly know when I see awful moderation and in which point did a deserve the hate that you have provided me within this absolute absurd post, attacking me personally is a pathetic excuse to try and win against a valid argument.

I am here to defend a great guy with the intention of following the rules that the mods have banned him for, they have claimed false rules and buckle when asked to provide these rules as evidence, I don't plan on gaining anything from this clearly power hungry and abusive staff and will never ever plan on associating myself with such a disgusting moderator team.

You also state that I have problems in my life, that is low and pathetic, why the hell would you suggest such a pathetic argument, is there something going on in your life that you have to make such an absurd comment?, is this a ploy to get me to react to you in a way that will warrent my ban or are you seriously this butt hurt about being wrong?.

I will not stoop the level that you have stooped to at all, so don't bother trying to test my mental capabilities and just so you know, I do have a mental illness, I am Autistic, so now think about how you attack me in the future as now the community know how much of a low human being you are.

I am here to defend a great guy with the intention of following the rules that the mods have banned him for, they have claimed false rules and buckle when asked to provide these rules as evidence, I don't plan on gaining anything from this clearly power hungry and abusive staff and will never ever plan on associating myself with such a disgusting moderator team.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post and focus on this, simply because it's all you would have had to say to make your point(s) perfectly well.  The rest of your post is drivel of the kind that people with superiority complexes use, with one exception (on autism), which I will get to in a minute.

1) If bizz had the intention of following the rules, he wouldn't have responded the way he did to my request that a server post be moved.  I never asked him to remove server addresses from his OP, nor did I state that he was breaking any rules, in my first post.

2) He wasn't banned.  He was kept from posting for a single day.  There is a great deal of difference between the two.

3) There's a rule about off-topic posts.  That's not "claiming false rules," nor did I "buckle when asked..."  That's applying one of the rules to a post, which is well within my purview.

4) I, and all of the other moderators, have had plenty of opportunity to be abusive and have refrained to date.  Perhaps some people are simply more sensitive than others when it comes to perceived insults or special attention, and a thicker skin is required.

5) It is impossible for me to be power hungry unless I wish to be involved with the development of the site and/or official packs.  I have a certain level of authority here, and I will never get more without additional effort, which I do not have time to put forth.  The same is true of the rest of the moderators, as far as I know.

Now back to your last paragraph.  I know enough people with autism to know when it's being used as an excuse to be belligerent or combative.  Your case clearly leaves you able to understand that the way you chose to begin posting would not grant you a warm reception.  That said, next time one of the moderators asks you why you are here, perhaps you should answer in a more rational way.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post and focus on this, simply because it's all you would have had to say to make your point(s) perfectly well.  The rest of your post is drivel of the kind that people with superiority complexes use, with one exception (on autism), which I will get to in a minute.

1) If bizz had the intention of following the rules, he wouldn't have responded the way he did to my request that a server post be moved.  I never asked him to remove server addresses from his OP, nor did I state that he was breaking any rules, in my first post.

2) He wasn't banned.  He was kept from posting for a single day.  There is a great deal of difference between the two.

3) There's a rule about off-topic posts.  That's not "claiming false rules," nor did I "buckle when asked..."  That's applying one of the rules to a post, which is well within my purview.

4) I, and all of the other moderators, have had plenty of opportunity to be abusive and have refrained to date.  Perhaps some people are simply more sensitive than others when it comes to perceived insults or special attention, and a thicker skin is required.

5) It is impossible for me to be power hungry unless I wish to be involved with the development of the site and/or official packs.  I have a certain level of authority here, and I will never get more without additional effort, which I do not have time to put forth.  The same is true of the rest of the moderators, as far as I know.

Now back to your last paragraph.  I know enough people with autism to know when it's being used as an excuse to be belligerent or combative.  Your case clearly leaves you able to understand that the way you chose to begin posting would not grant you a warm reception.  That said, next time one of the moderators asks you why you are here, perhaps you should answer in a more rational way.

Respond in a more rational way? to someone who is clearly here just to attack me mentally? not a chance, if he has the audacity to attack me mentally and prove to the community that he is not fit to be a moderator then he doesn't deserve to have that spot, it also took 4 moderators to "Resolve" this situation, that is a joke, A moderator should be able to think for himself and not have more mods to jump in.

The fact that I am a new member have already been attacked by a mod for stating my opinions on the situation is outright pathetic and is not what a moderator should be doing.

You also state that the posts were off-topic, et they were requested by the author, that is not off-topic if it is requested then how is that off-topic?.

Attack you mentally?  Is that something you can do, Neo?  I'm impressed. 

They were server posts in a section that isn't for servers.  If, hypothetically, someone were to post a request for help getting his server working (this happens all the time) in the section for server ads, despite being related, it's off topic.  I don't care how much you want to be right; you aren't.  Also, no one asked other moderators to jump in; they did that of their own free will.  As far as I'm concerned, it was "resolved" long before any of the other mods said anything.  It has simply been dragged out since then by people unwilling to admit that they're out of line.  Nefzen, to whom I was speaking originally, chose the polite response immediately.  You and bizz didn't.

You're arguing with the cops over whether they're going to give you (or somebody else) a ticket after you've been caught speeding.  It's their choice, not yours.  There's a court you're more than welcome to go to if you have an issue with a moderator.  They have red names, and they hang out on the Technic IRC fairly regularly.  I'm going to guess, though, and this is pure speculation, mind you, that they will respond poorly to people that started an argument with a mod over something stupid like this.

Damn, my psychic powers have been discovered! Curse you and your iron clad mental defenses, Internet Paladin madogdan!

Now, when did I attack your mental capacities, accuse you of having a mental illness, and/or call you retarded?

Please quote me doing this bashing of your mental capacities you seem to be suggesting I'm doing in lieu of a legitimate argument.

I did get my answer though. Superiority complex, opponent vilification, exaggerating opposing arguments and aggressively countering them, "I win" trump card in the form of an unverifiable sensitive medical condition.

Life-is-unfair teenage ego soothing.