Developing a modpack team

Balomew

Vanilla Minecraft's open-world attitude attracts men and women of all genders and lifestyles. This sandbox game has the unchallenged capability to make friends of strangers and worlds of empty spaces. The drama that is implied, and those that seek to destroy and cause harm to others, are proof that such a world can exist.

In the midst of Minecraft mods and modpacks, we have not lost the unity that vanilla Minecraft provides. Many players work together to get the most out of modding and community. It is difficult for some and second-nature for others. Successful products are unique in their design and the teams that create them are bonded tighter than family. My personal goal is to help create a modpack that the general public enjoys. I have ideas, but it is up to us as a team to decide upon mods and an underlying theme and background.

MY IDEAS

• NAME The name will most likely be the last thing set. It is simple, original, and memorable.
  • MEMBERS Build on your strengths. Artists can work on art or architecture, designers can work on an official website, writers can work on writing, and so on.
  • SERVER I would like to eventually set up an official server for our modpack.
  • THEME Themes are set by the included mods. Examples are modpacks focusing on magic, technology, roleplay, survival, adventure, or decoration. Mods add dungeons, customizable NPCs and quests, new dimensions, and more.
  • MODS There are millions of mods out there – massive mods, little mods, plugins, and tools. The mods and the modpack theme are intimately connected. I have my preferred mods and you have yours. Together, this team will put together a unique combination of mods.

If you are interested in joining the team, post a reply down below. Consider this a development thread.

Edited by Balomew
I made a mistake and felt the consequences

dragonshardz Are you confused about something or just bewildered by the amount of text in my original post? (I do that a lot. It's a thing.)

Munaus Thanks for the statement, Captain Obvious.

Should I take this as a warning that Technic members think this is a load of bullshit? It's not a new idea to the community. It's a project - is that bad somehow?

I think what Munaus is trying to tell you is that the packs you mentioned (or certainly AotBT, Hexxit, and Tekkit for Technicpack) were made by the teams of the launcher. THAT'S what makes them official. Not because they're so well loved.

There are exceptions - like with Big Dig, and TPPI - which were so immensely popular that the Technic team wanted those packs represented in the launcher.

I don't think there's any kind of warning going on, except maybe that you're slightly mistaken as to what makes an official modpack official. And what "official modpack" really means.
For somebody in the Technic launcher, FTB isn't an official pack. For somebody in the FTB launcher, Hexxit isn't an official pack.

That's my interpretation of Munaus' post anyway. Maybe he was meaning that what you thought. Maybe he meant something completely different.

Thanks, Melfice. I did make a mistake when referring to modpacks like Hexxit and Tekkit, but I was also referring to modpacks like TPPI, Yogscast Complete, FTB versions, Mianite, etc - my point being that most successful modpacks are put together by a team. I'm not looking for a team to necessarily make a popular modpack, but to make one that people truly enjoy.

I'm appropriately doubtful, now, that perhaps people aren't interested in grouping up. I'm getting the feeling that I may have come off as arrogant or greedy. I'm not that kind of person, I just have a bit of a dream and like to work with others. I kind of feel stupid now, because I didn't know that the launcher team made those modpacks. Sorry about any confusion.

I edited the original post. It's too bad that I can't take back the slight shame that's been caused. It was a misunderstanding, to be clear, not a mistake. Not like what I say counts. Is there anything else I should fix?

• Moderators

you have barely been here a day and already calling quits?

It's the summer, man! Some of us haven't even catched a proper sunburn yet. Forums are the last place most folks are gonna hang out now.

Be patient. There's always a few who enjoys teaming up to build a pack. What you need to do now is explain what you want. You say you wanna make a popular pack? Ok, but what kind of? What are you imagining? What kind of pack would you attempt to create?

Lay out your dreams and fantasies. bait the hook and see who bites

I wasn't calling quits but was considering it. My summer is short and I'll be starting college in a month, so I decided to post now.

I don't have a particular kind of pack in mind - probably a bit of everything. I wanted to keep the possibilities open for others if that makes any sense (word-finding difficulties ftw).

I'm probably not exactly your target audience since I have no interest in making public packs, but from my point of view, I can tell you that you haven't given people a lot of incentive to join your group.  There's no idea for a pack given other than one that the general public will like, which to me implies "kitchen sink" even if that's not what you mean.  That's not to say that a general pack can't still be good, but the popular pack groups out there these days tend to make heavily customized and themed ones, which have a tendency to overshadow the traditional kind.  You haven't said whether you own any servers or anything that the group can work from, or more importantly, to host the pack at.  You also haven't stated your own abilities and what you'll contribute to your group, or your previous experience at such things.  One of the first things that someone with skills and experience looks for when joining a group is whether the group leader is a contributor or an idea guy.

Not trying to criticize you, but you might have better luck if you give potential members more to go on.

• 2 weeks later...

FyberOptic pretty much hit the nail on the head. While I like the idea of being a part of a modding team, I see no incentive to form one with you due to the lack of information. When starting a group or a project it's best to have at least some kind of idea on what you want the finished result to look like. If you're still interesting in creating a team, I would rewrite (or completely redo) this thread and maybe use these questions as sort of a guide:

• How old are you, and what forms of communication do you expect the team to use?
  • How much experience do you have making a modpack? Can you give examples of previous attempts?
  • What will be your position in the modding team?
  • What are the specific roles ur looking for? (bonus if you have a list that you fill out when a spot has been filled)
  • Will this be a pack for a specific server, or general use?
  • If it's for a specific server, what are your plans for hosting?
  • What direction do you want the pack to go in? (magi-tech, prehistoric, harder survival, building, story-driven, etc?)
  • What mods would you consider the "core" of your pack?

I wish you good luck with getting a team together :)