Terrible TPS issues

Hey, I've got a Tekkit server I've had about 8 friends on, only 1 or 2 of them are on much, the world isn't terribly developed, one of them has a moderately complicated pipe system and there's only one world anchor loading anything. But we're getting super bad TPS, for reason I cannot fathom, it fluctuates wildly between 9 TPS and 20 TPS, and people are starting to get some pretty serious lag. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Me too, I have problems with the "Taxe sur les Produits et Services", it's too damn high!

Anyway, I guess you meant FPS (Frame per second). Check if there is a pipe overflowing somewhere. You could also try allocating more memory to the server.

No TPS is what they probably meant. TPS = Ticks Per Second. Any thing that uses up CPU time can lower your TPS. A smoothly running server should idle at 20 TPS. FPS is anther thing all to geather. It has to do with graphics rendering on the client side and does not deal with the server.

YOur best bet is to remove the World anchor and turn off your users pipes near spawn, (all machines map wide if possible,) and see if things still fluctuate. If so, start disabling some plugins one at a time. Dynmap + Large Surface Quarries are just one of the many possible reasons for your problems. Computer craft and Wireless redstone if used improperly or on mass can also cause problems.

It would be a bit more helpful if you posted your Server specs as well as any mods you have turned off and any plugins you might be using.

Pro Tip: The latest version of the Essentials Plugin has the '/lag' command. Use it to check your TPS as well as other handy server stats.

Yes, TPS, not FPS. I don't care about clients FPS, they can go get a new computer.

There's nothing running at all on the server other than minecraft, it's a 3.0 GHz 64 bit quad core with 4 GB of RAM.

No one is really using wireless redstone at all, but how do you mean improperly? I know CC can cause big issues.

And yes I'm aware, how do you think I'm checking my TPS? ;)

I've also got all my players making quarries only below the surface or enclosed in buildings to prevent the various performance issues they cause. I'll try removing the world anchor.

Do pipes being closer to spawn make things worse than if they were far away?

Spawn constantly stays loaded, the idea is, like removing world anchors, to stop having things constantly running.

The specs of the server aren't *bad*, per se, but they aren't spectacular. It could very well be that the computer just isn't strong enough to handle the game. Also, check to make sure that you're allocating as much memory as you can.

Any tricks to see the TPS exactly, I know about FPS and the damn ping command just respond pong instead of the numbers I expect to see there so useless, but is there any plugin for bukkit or anything that could tell me the actual TPS and maybe a bonus to see the ping response with a number of my server.

Hey, I've got a Tekkit server I've had about 8 friends on, only 1 or 2 of them are on much, the world isn't terribly developed, one of them has a moderately complicated pipe system and there's only one world anchor loading anything. But we're getting super bad TPS, for reason I cannot fathom, it fluctuates wildly between 9 TPS and 20 TPS, and people are starting to get some pretty serious lag. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Get WorldGuard and then type:

/stoplag

/stoplag -c

This will likely solve your problem, but it will also kill every farm animal in your world so keep that in mind.

Any tricks to see the TPS exactly, I know about FPS and the damn ping command just respond pong instead of the numbers I expect to see there so useless, but is there any plugin for bukkit or anything that could tell me the actual TPS and maybe a bonus to see the ping response with a number of my server.

The plugin is called LagMem. Type /lagmem to see both TPS and memory usage.

Well the chunks people are working in shouldn't be close enough to spawn to stay loaded all the time, issue seems to persist even with the removal of all chunk loader items.

What exactly would good specs be then??

We're getting very little memory usage, max is assigned to it and it never goes beyond about 900 MB usage.

If people are exploring the world constantly, it keeps generating the map and this could cause massive lag, it even kicked me out 1hr ago, I don't know why but it seems exploring for new territories isn't a good thing, can't figure out why, we have a ssd drive handling the game but the memory is getting filled up and the server can't keep up message is there and quite annoying.

We have a player that is automating his farms with rp2 logic. This doesn't have to be a problem, but he had the timers set up in his workshop and the filters he used to fetch items were of course at the farms further away. So he had a ridiculous amount of long blinking redwire all over the place. His timers were also on all the time. This was causing severe lag in his area. When I visited to see what was causing the lag, I got kicked from the server constantly.

The moment we stopped his timers, the lag was gone. So we replaced most of his filters with a few retrievers which could be set up in his workshop and the rest of his farms where filters were mandatory, we created an on demand system so that the timers only run when items are needed. We also put these timers close to the filters. So check for poorly set up rp logic.

Another lag problem can be of course buildcraft pipes with overflooding chests.

We have a player that is automating his farms with rp2 logic. This doesn't have to be a problem, but he had the timers set up in his workshop and the filters he used to fetch items were of course at the farms further away. So he had a ridiculous amount of long blinking redwire all over the place. His timers were also on all the time. This was causing severe lag in his area. When I visited to see what was causing the lag, I got kicked from the server constantly.

The moment we stopped his timers, the lag was gone. So we replaced most of his filters with a few retrievers which could be set up in his workshop and the rest of his farms where filters were mandatory, we created an on demand system so that the timers only run when items are needed. We also put these timers close to the filters. So check for poorly set up rp logic.

Another lag problem can be of course buildcraft pipes with overflooding chests.

Get NoLagg to eliminate the overflowing items problem.

I use MaxTPS to make items stack, and run world edits //remove items -1 every so often.

I assume by flooding pipes you mean pipes dropping items. Don't appear to be any on the server and no one is really using RP2.

It can't be world generation because I'm not seeing new chunks load nor is it coming even close to eating up RAM. Could be the RAID I suppose.

Just found out that the Energy Link can cause a a lot of load on the CPU. I was getting 100% CPU usage when ever my one player was on. After some experiments with his set ups we found it was the energy link that was causing the issue.

We were thinking it might have been the world anchors, but after removing them the problem insisted. Also, it was only happening when this player was on, but we figured remove them anyway just to be sure. I had a browser window open to the side with MCMyAdmin open to keep an eye on the server load.

Finally, after turning off and then back on every one of his machines several times, I noticed that even with the world anchor at the remote quarry gone, his Energy Link/Teleport Pipe setup was still drawing power constantly. I cut the power to the energy link and the CPU usage dropped back down to normal usage, instantly.

Oddly enough, this same user had three other Links set up in another location, running off a separate power line than the first Link that was causing the problem. These were not causing any issue, until the user decided to remove them just in case. After breaking 2 of the 3 Energy Links at this location I saw the CPU again shoot up to 100% usage.

After a lot of experimentation, we have found that 50% of the time we can recreate the 100% server load with one energy link drawing power from one energy source. Adding a second link to that same power line, thus splitting the power between the two links, removes the server load problem.

I have no idea why it only causes problems some time but not others, or why only when using a single energy link. Maybe it's some floating point error or something.

I am also having a TPS issue on my server, a word of advise don't use NoLagg there is currently a bug where items dropped from mining/destroying disappear and you cant breed mobs, i think quarries and energy links also cause an issue, for my server i have a 8 core processor at 3.5 ghz with 32 GB of ram, and only get about 14TPS average. but since i updated to 3.1.1 ive had 8-10 TPS which i am not happy with (40 ppl Avg). idk im looking around to see what kind of plugins/modifications i can do to my server to help my TPS. Ive found also that CC can bring a server to its knees...