Using tubes to extract items from recyclers (and other things?)

I can't get it to work. I tried hooking up my recyclers to tubes both at the bottom and the right side, but neither seems to drain the output. I have tried putting a transposer at the end of the tubes, but that doesn't help. I assume I could put a transposer next to each, but four transposers for four machines is quite ugly to say the least (and as I can't access a chest directly below will still require tubing, as well as timers).

Suggestions? My alternative is emptying them by hand, which I could do but it's not as cool as having it done for you (h)

Thanks!

You've got it the wrong way around. The transposer needs to be adjacent to the machine you're extracting items from. Additionally, it needs to be oriented correctly - the big hole is for "suck", the little hole is for "blow". Use a RP2 screwdriver to reorient the machines if necessary.

You may be confusing transposers with Retrievers. Transposers pull things out of the inventory they are adjacent to; it's the Retriever which pulls things from remote chests.

Incidentally, I suggest you use Filters instead of Transposers - Filters extract an entire stack at a time.

is there a way to use bc piping without the wooden pipe/redstone engine combination to pull out items of say a chest ?

and on a side note, Wot ? The expression of ^^ was just to show my agreement to above posts...

Sadly, no. The main reason why I use RP tubes everywhere is because I can't bear having redstone engines pumping everywhere.

and on a side note, Wot ? The expression of ^^ was just to show my agreement to above posts...

This is one of the few types of extremely low effort posts that are, in fact, not encouraged around here. If you want to agree, add something, or agree in a creative way.

Maybe an addon to BC2 might be able to do wooden pipe without redstone engine trick ? I think i read something about an addon somewhere but cant wrap my head around were that might have been.

@Torezu: understood and will try to be more productive next time ;) now on to some more creative tekkit-wrangling.

Maybe an addon to BC2 might be able to do wooden pipe without redstone engine trick ? I think i read something about an addon somewhere but cant wrap my head around were that might have been.

@Torezu: understood and will try to be more productive next time ;) now on to some more creative tekkit-wrangling.

Probably the Advanced Wooden Pipe from Additional Buildcraft Objects (?).

By the time you go to this kind of effort, though, you could just use a Redpower2 pneumatic tube system, which is better in every conceivable way.

Come to the dark Redpower2 side. We have cookies.

I used build craft for everything in my last world, until a pipe overflowed we everyone was offline.

So... now we have a new world...

And use Redpower2. Little more expensive to start piping something, and barely at that, but it's 100x better as far as control, speed, and performance goes.

Do your self and your server a favor use RedPower2 for everything. The only useful thing in BuildCraft at the moment is the quarry and tanks. (Many for dense lava storage)

And once you combine ComputerCraft, RedPower2 frames and sorting. You can build an automated quarry devourer-of-worlds that never stops. Ever.

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of ideas in BuildCraft, but it's poorly written, (thus hard on servers) and allows leaks and is out performed by RedPower2. I'd love to see it make a comeback with version 3 though. :)

honestly i like redpower2 so much more then i do buildcraft. i still use buildcraft for the little things like from machine to machine and thats about it. ill still use the quarries and such and thats about it. Just sucks that the auto crafting table doesnt work to well with redpower. for me it over flows in to all the other crafting spaces. not sure if its fixed but its just a pain in the ass right now

littleweseth: Well, not better in EVERY way. For moving liquids, BC pumps/pipes still work better - and if you want to move objects from one chest to an adjacent one, an advanced wooden pipe is much more compact than tubes (taking just a single non-solid block instead of transposer + timer)

I love tubes, and use them nearly exclusively, but there are a few circumstances where pipes have benefits.

See all my machines and tubes are part of a main central system, so I rarely pipe something over 1 block.

And you should try the RedPower2 pump and liquid tubes. I moves liquid a lot faster than BuildCraft's pipes. But like I said BuildCraft tanks are unbeatable for storage, so I tend to transition to BC just for storage.

PatriotBob: But, can RP2 pumps/tubes insert liquids into for example geothermal generators? That's the issue I've had with it. That, and that it doesn't work with tanks AFAIK. I have a quite compact setup using like 4 pieces of waterproof pipe and a pump powered by an electrical engine to keep 4 geothermals going at the same time powering an mfe, it only takes 3*2*2 blocks plus a lever, and is really pretty... It's like my favorite machine I've every designed, though it's simple and probably many others could have done this as well. Could I do something like that with RP2? :)http://imgur.com/mt0Vv

About pumping over one block, I like it for compact storage of liquids in tanks, and sometimes to make nice manual input slots into sorting systems (I have a sorter sending ores etc automatically to a macerator, but then I have an override-chest connected too and that's one block away).

thanks for all the comments. one thing that still kinda bugs me tho: to pull something out of a chest in BC i need a wooden pipe, a redstone engine and a redstone signal --- in RP2 i need a transposer or filter, a timer (clock) and a redstone signal. i cant make out any space saving there, do i have a thinking error ?

thanks for all the comments. one thing that still kinda bugs me tho: to pull something out of a chest in BC i need a wooden pipe, a redstone engine and a redstone signal --- in RP2 i need a transposer or filter, a timer (clock) and a redstone signal. i cant make out any space saving there, do i have a thinking error ?

The timer is the redstone signal. You don't need a separate redstone wire or anything.

f7Oaf.jpg

For reference: This is my geothermal-powered mass fabricator in the Nether. It's generated 2,000 UUM, so it's chewed through at least 100,000 blocks of lava so far. (1 UUM = 50 blocks of lava.)

PatriotBob: But, can RP2 pumps/tubes insert liquids into for example geothermal generators? That's the issue I've had with it. That, and that it doesn't work with tanks AFAIK. I have a quite compact setup using like 4 pieces of waterproof pipe and a pump powered by an electrical engine to keep 4 geothermals going at the same time powering an mfe, it only takes 3*2*2 blocks plus a lever, and is really pretty... It's like my favorite machine I've every designed, though it's simple and probably many others could have done this as well. Could I do something like that with RP2? :)http://imgur.com/mt0Vv

About pumping over one block, I like it for compact storage of liquids in tanks, and sometimes to make nice manual input slots into sorting systems (I have a sorter sending ores etc automatically to a macerator, but then I have an override-chest connected too and that's one block away).

It does work with tanks, and with geothermals.

For tanks, use railcraft's "liquid unloader," which can be placed next to a tank, and will accept buckets of lava, and output empty buckets of lava. It will convert one to the other and fill the tank, and will accept RP2 tubes as input and output. A "liquid loader" will do the same thing, but empty the tank. Incidentally, both loader and unloader also work with tank carts above and below them, respectively, as a nice bonus.

For geothermals, simply directly pump lava buckets in with RP2 and then have a RP2 filter that only takes out empty buckets. That would be a RP2-only system that doesn't use up any tin for cells, only the lava itself.