Measurements (In-Game)

liXiomm

Ok.

EDIT:

It is widely accepted that

We all know that one block is a meter. Or, say, a cubic meter to be more accurate. A meter long, a meter wide, and a meter tall.

Every playable character in Minecraft is 2 blocks (or 2 meters) tall, which is equal to approx. 6.56 feet. So the average player (scratch that, EVERY player) is 6.56 feet tall, which is pretty

tall - note that this isn't 6' 5".

How about every block of water? Even source blocks don't completely fill a block space. Try putting water next to grass. The grass is higher, right? How about tanks? They're not 1x1 meter wide and long, they have block margins. But, let's just assume that water IS a cubic meter; I suppose since it's accepted that the block is a meter cubed, we're using la Système international d'unités - one block of water is equal to 1000 liters of water. How about those potion water bottles? They take up a whole 1000 liters of water, but you drink potions? How can a person consume 1000 liters of water with spider eyes in it? Then again, this is the Minecraft in which you can carry 64 cubic meters of stone brick and carry 36 of those stacks in your pocket.

Let's move on to horsepower. How much power does a redstone engine have at its low stage? High stage? And those for steam and combustion? I'm not talking about MJ (Minecraft Joules) and energy burned. I'm specifically talking about joules. Horsepower is raw engine power. Your average $18-20,000 automobile has a 2.0 liter, 4 cylinder engine and 145 horsepower, maybe 135 torque (that varies).

So, when you convert horsepower and joules to watts, and subsequently BTU, you get 746 watts per horsepower. One watt is 3.413 BTU (British Thermal Units). So, when you multiply 746 by 3.413, you end up with 1 horsepower equaling 2546 BTU, more or less.

There are directly 1055 joules in one BTU. Therefore, by multiplying 2546 BTU by 1055 joules, you get 2,686,133.4 joules per horsepower.

Now, the question is, how many MJs do the respective engines generate per displacement of the piston? (Now I know that joules, and by extension, MJs, are a unit of work, but indirectly, because all BC engines need are fuel and redstone current, which can be stationary like a Redstone Torch, let's say nothing is lost when you convert energy>force>work.) This depends on how see it. Because joules are such a small unit of measurement, they require 2.6 million of them to create 1 horsepower. I heard on a Direwolf video that some engines burn only several joules at a time. This does not add up. What are your thoughts?

Sorry that I'm getting off on a rant, but one more thing. Have you ever noticed when zombie pigmen drop golden nuggets, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME SIZE? (< sarcasm, not blind stupidity) What if the devs of Minecraft or someone came out with a mod or update which included different sized materials which would conversely make a ton of complex and somewhat annoying changes to the way Minecraft is played? Thus making everyone annoyed and maybe even making the game into a 1-gig big (tee hee) application. Whatif, whatif, whatif. Post yo comments! :D

I, er, that post is kind of, ah, schizophrenic?

- I'm pretty sure blocks are officially 1 meter cubed (or, 1 cubic meter, whatever)

- The player is actually 1.7 blocks (meters) tall

- A "Minecraft Joule" isn't equal to one "real world" joule; one could say it might be a megajoule (MJ), but there doesn't seem to be anything official, so we don't actually know what the equivalent of one MJ is in terms of actual Joules/etc; note that DW almost definitely meant "Minecraft Joules" when he said that, not real world joules

- You can fill a cauldron with one water bucket (aka water source block), and three glass bottles from the cauldron; thus, a glass bottle holds ~300L (okay, yeah, that's still technically insane, but less so!...)

- That last paragraph is totally out of left field, what the heck?

Players are not 2 blocks tall. They are something around 1.6-ish blocks tall. If you press F3, you can see the fractional Y coordinate. (Like if you're standing on block 12, Rei's minimap will show 12, andi t will also show 13-and-change.) That's the height of your eyes.

Ok.

EDIT:

It is widely accepted that

We all know that one block is a meter. Or, say, a cubic meter to be more accurate. A meter long, a meter wide, and a meter tall.

Every playable character in Minecraft is 2 blocks (or 2 meters) tall, which is equal to approx. 6.56 feet. So the average player (scratch that, EVERY player) is 6.56 feet tall, which is pretty

tall - note that this isn't 6' 5".

How about every block of water? Even source blocks don't completely fill a block space. Try putting water next to grass. The grass is higher, right? How about tanks? They're not 1x1 meter wide and long, they have block margins. But, let's just assume that water IS a cubic meter; I suppose since it's accepted that the block is a meter cubed, we're using la Système international d'unités - one block of water is equal to 1000 liters of water. How about those potion water bottles? They take up a whole 1000 liters of water, but you drink potions? How can a person consume 1000 liters of water with spider eyes in it? Then again, this is the Minecraft in which you can carry 64 cubic meters of stone brick and carry 36 of those stacks in your pocket.

Let's move on to horsepower. How much power does a redstone engine have at its low stage? High stage? And those for steam and combustion? I'm not talking about MJ (Minecraft Joules) and energy burned. I'm specifically talking about joules. Horsepower is raw engine power. Your average $18-20,000 automobile has a 2.0 liter, 4 cylinder engine and 145 horsepower, maybe 135 torque (that varies).

So, when you convert horsepower and joules to watts, and subsequently BTU, you get 746 watts per horsepower. One watt is 3.413 BTU (British Thermal Units). So, when you multiply 746 by 3.413, you end up with 1 horsepower equaling 2546 BTU, more or less.

There are directly 1055 joules in one BTU. Therefore, by multiplying 2546 BTU by 1055 joules, you get 2,686,133.4 joules per horsepower.

Now, the question is, how many MJs do the respective engines generate per displacement of the piston? (Now I know that joules, and by extension, MJs, are a unit of work, but indirectly, because all BC engines need are fuel and redstone current, which can be stationary like a Redstone Torch, let's say nothing is lost when you convert energy>force>work.) This depends on how see it. Because joules are such a small unit of measurement, they require 2.6 million of them to create 1 horsepower. I heard on a Direwolf video that some engines burn only several joules at a time. This does not add up. What are your thoughts?

Sorry that I'm getting off on a rant, but one more thing. Have you ever noticed when zombie pigmen drop golden nuggets, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME SIZE? (< sarcasm, not blind stupidity) What if the devs of Minecraft or someone came out with a mod or update which included different sized materials which would conversely make a ton of complex and somewhat annoying changes to the way Minecraft is played? Thus making everyone annoyed and maybe even making the game into a 1-gig big (tee hee) application. Whatif, whatif, whatif. Post yo comments! :D

My thought are re-do your math?

summary:

- Horsepower is a measurement of the rate work is done, not raw engine power. Break Horsepower is the measurement of Horsepower at the output shaft in this case a 4 stroke combustion engine using angular mechanics (BHP, raw power before mechanical transmission) You can't calculate torque in MC since there's no definite Pi at the level of the machines (cubed world no angular mechanics)

- Your time in minecraft is different since your time conversion irl to the world of minecraft is different, your power calculations are all obsolete.

-your calculations to BTU are also wrong since you dropped the BTU/M when converting from Watt to BTU you cant do this, where is your time constant? show me where it says this?, BTU isnt a rate of change therefore it is not a rate of work, its magnitude of energy.

- Horsepower is a measurement of the rate work is done, not raw engine power. Break Horsepower is the measurement of Horsepower at the output shaft in this case a 4 stroke combustion engine using angular mechanics (BHP, raw power before mechanical transmission) You can't calculate torque in MC since there's no definite Pi at the level of the machines (cubed world no angular mechanics)

- Your time in minecraft is different since your time conversion irl to the world of minecraft is different, your power calculations are all obsolete.

-your calculations to BTU are also wrong since you dropped the BTU/M when converting from Watt to BTU you cant do this, where is your time constant? show me where it says this?, BTU isnt a rate of change therefore it is not a rate of work, its magnitude of energy.

Ok, you know what, I give up :P

I figured knowing extremely basic physics could amount to figuring it out, but I did not think of that.

I'm just 13. And to everyone else, I'm making assumptions. But I did not know that the player was 1.7 blocks tall, so thanks (makes sense that it's your eye height)

Anyway, the result of this post is that Minecraft does not, and will never, standardize the game and measurements do not make sense. I'm just going to focus on making my Quantum armor now. :D

Anyway, the result of this post is that Minecraft does not, and will never, standardize the game and measurements do not make sense. I'm just going to focus on making my Quantum armor now.

Ah, but you see that's where you're wrong! All objects have a standard size!

And that standardized measurement is: How many block(s) it is! Most items are one block big, but some things (Like miniblocks) are a fraction of a block!

Items have no block size and have fractional block size, in the sense that electrons aren't considered to have mass because it is such a miniscule amount. They will not share space with a solid block if given the choice and will move out of that space if there is open air for them to move into. But if they have no open air to move into, the item(s) will stay within the block and share the space while still retaining their miniscule mass without exceeding the block's size.

Also they are so small and such a tiny fraction of a block that infinite numbers of items can exist within the space of one block, without the need for compression of any sort, and since they are so small (In terms of mass) to the player, they are gravitationally attracted to players that get within a specific distance of the item(s).

Players can theoretically carry infinite items and never become encumbered, but a player character is only so intelligent and can only keep track of so many items at a time, before finally becoming exhausted with keeping track of miniscule items in their bags, pockets, hands, and floating around them, and avoiding new items that they come within distance of themselves with such agility that it is as if the item(s) do not become attracted to the player any longer.

The reason chests, bags, and the like increase carrying capacity is not because the player becomes encumbered or runs out of space, but the opposite reason: So many items exist that the player needs help organizing them into groups and keeping track of said items. As for stack limits on items, the Minecraft Player Character's brain works in sets of 8, typically. 64 is usually the maximum number of items a player character can keep track of within one group (8 groups of 8) before starting a new group set. There are certain exceptions for outstanding (Or the opposite) items, but that is just in the nature of the character placing importance (Or the opposite of, as an item is so unremarkable that they have difficulty keeping track of it within a group) on certain items.

It is a game about cubes with exploding mutated pigs, giant ghosts, tall lanky creepy dudes that teleport around, and a giant dragon in an infinite world across three dimensions and you're trying to apply real world logic to it.

Does ANYBODY ELSE think this isn't a complete waste of time?

Playing Minecraft in the first place is a complete waste of time, so what's your point? Is wasting time a crime now?

Some folks would justify that it helps you learn, or express creativity, or anything like that. The same people who would say a shooter helps you be aware of your surroundings, or an MMO helps you interact with others in a positive manner.

I'm not one of those people, but hey, they might have a point (Insert intended amounts of sarcasm here)!

Some folks would justify that it helps you learn, or express creativity, or anything like that. The same people who would say a shooter helps you be aware of your surroundings, or an MMO helps you interact with others in a positive manner.

Pfft. Silly fools, I only play Minecraft because it's fun. And of course it's a waste of time. It's Minecraft.

I care not for the logic behind minecraft rather the thrill/fun of the game. who cares about a player who can hold 100s of blocks in his inventory. Only reason i posted on this thread was to correct the mistakes in the calculations, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously or offensively... silly fools.

*Snip* ...it wasn't meant to be taken seriously or offensively... silly fools.

If I may paraphrase: I didn't mean to offend you or make you feel stupid... You idiot.

I love it! That's style, right there (No sarcasm intended whatsoever)!