Which Mod is This? [Technic]

D4vg

They can come in all shapes and sizes, they're fairly common, and they're great for thermal power. I would suggest at least marking where it is so you can potentially return for thermal power if it's in your interest, or at least to harvest basalt for basalt bricks (They are black bricks and look absolutely stunning if used correctly).

EDIT: I believe basalt is explosion-proof.

Ok.

Last question. Does this blackish-gray block pose any use to me? My guess is it's probably decoration.

Yep, just decoration for now. If you break it, it becomes basalt cobblestone, when can be smelted back into smooth Basalt . Basalt stone can then be crafted into basalt bricks.

I've had so many issues of looking at my map and going "Oh, that place looks like it'd be nice to - *lag* *Redpower craps a little square turd of a volcano right onto the area I wanted to build"

Same, one of them spawned in the middle of a jungle and lagged massively with all the sapling drops.

I've had so many issues of looking at my map and going "Oh, that place looks like it'd be nice to - *lag* *Redpower craps a little square turd of a volcano right onto the area I wanted to build"

This makes me want to MCEdit-murder ALL the volcanoes. The generation code, especially in SMP, is crap, and Eloraam just wants us to put up with it until it's fixed (whenever that's going to be). I actually went so far as to take a mining laser on scattershot to one of the "little" ones, only to discover it wasn't nearly as little as I'd previously thought.

I'm not so sure about that. I said it's creeper-proof, but not Nukeproof. I would test that in creative world.

No, I'm just using a figure of speech. Torezu said he wanted to go in and nuke the code for it. Well, he said "MC Edit Murder" but that means the same thing as "nuking" without the actual nukes, in my opinion.

My personal biggest issue with volcanoes is that they seem to regularly stop generating halfway through, meaning there's suddenly a massive wall of basalt on one side of the volcano, instead of a gradual slope.

Yeah, that's horribly ugly. I hate this so much, those are the rare occasions when I take out my stack of nukes. And then, I have the horrible lava dick floating in the center of nowhere. D: