Project Horizon - A world map for Technic 7.2 (rec)

Soltaro

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the link, and I went ahead and uploaded a .zip version to mediafire, so you people without any halfway decent archiver can still play. killing two birds with one stone by making an alternate link way back here and making it a zip. :P thank you prasselpikachu for steering me to the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4yc90x1eb11oi20

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :o

It still doesn't work! D: Extracting it turns it into a .zip.cpgz file that turns into a duplicate of the .zip file when I try extracting it...

Thanks for the .zip upload Goreae.

I've been busy with other things but just started picking up Minecraft again. :)) How've you guys been doing with project Horizon? Would love to see some more screens!

Sorry Man. I've kinda ditched Technic for a personal modpack. Essentially also terminating my ability to use your map.

Thanks for the .zip upload Goreae.

I've been busy with other things but just started picking up Minecraft again. :)) How've you guys been doing with project Horizon? Would love to see some more screens!

is there any way you can put the .zip download in the OP? it would be a lot easier than telling noobs to look back a page.

Ok i have 1 problem i removed few blocks to make the thaumcraft room but i need to add few blocks back to the floor what blocks was used to make the floor in the thaumcraft room as i dont see them on nei ? Thanks.

that's actually coloured construction foam. great for colouring a room without using flammable, fragile wool.

GN: you said dont instead of don't.

• 2 weeks later...

im gonna test this out so far it looks like a great map btw ill be making "journals" from steves point of view well heres the first one

Journal 0

They are sending me to a new facility to conduct my resurrect but do to some of my past failures they are giving me quite poor power generators and the bright side the place looks nice and i have a nice house, but THEIRS NO REACTOR how i'm i supposed to do my work with out one looks like i'm going to have to go mine my self, looking at my goals it seems i get to play around with two new discoveries, the discovery of a new fuel called "vis" and some process of melting materials to make better ones well my plane is almost at the place well ill put forward my plan for geting materials and setting up my reactor. "Steve S. Notch"

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh! This looks awesome! Just what I need too :). I suck at all the technical stuff, lol. Just to clarify, this is for Technic and not Tekkit right? I'm definitely looking forward to playing this.

if you try it on tekkit, it completely and utterly breaks down. soltaro should make a tekkit version. this seems so much more useful in SMP.

Hey guys.

Glad you like it Brymaer. I explained some things in the youtube video:

But if you have any questions about the "technical stuff" feel free to ask.

It's definitely made for Technic for the sole reason that is has many mods that I find important in my minecraft experience. Thaumcraft being one of those and Mystcraft a good second. (Even though all my Myst worlds seem to go corrupt sooner or later... :D )

A Tekkit version might have gotten more attention though. I'm not aware on the current situation of the map edit mods/programs. When I build the Horizon facility the map edit tools didn't work with microblocks and or basalt/marble (ie: Redpower mod). I'm sure anyone who has downloaded the map and took a look around breaking stuff, will see how many microblocks have been used in the construction. Rebuilding the entire thing will take way to long.

Besides, minecraft is all about creativity and exploring new things. I probably had more fun designing the building and its functions than actually playing it. :D But that experience is different for everyone. I personally loved figuring out the redstone coding for the 1 button elevator control for example.

Once Technic/Tekkit "merge together" and minecraft has advanced a bit more I'll probably (re)build another giant complex and do another playthrough. There are some features I really like from Horizon that I'll probably use again, like the frame sorting/storage chest elevator for example. It's extremely compact and I prefer it much more than a static "chest room".

I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on this:

- What features did you like and dislike about Horizon and what would (or did) you change or improve?

Hi Soltaro, been a while. If you're gonna build another giant complex, my recommendation to wait for the FTB modpack to come out with support for Redpower, Thaumcraft and EE3. RP is coming out real soon with TC and EE to follow. Waiting for Technic/Tekkit is probably not the best idea. (Unless you like waiting forever for a modpack that doesn't have permission from a lot of the mod authors. Examples being Optifine, Forestry, Mo'creatures, etc.)

Hi Soltaro, been a while. If you're gonna build another giant complex, my recommendation to wait for the FTB modpack to come out with support for Redpower, Thaumcraft and EE3. RP is coming out real soon with TC and EE to follow. Waiting for Technic/Tekkit is probably not the best idea. (Unless you like waiting forever for a modpack that doesn't have permission from a lot of the mod authors. Examples being Optifine, Forestry, Mo'creatures, etc.)

Hey Julian, good to see you again.

Yeah I know you're really into the modding yourself but for me I like playing a standardized mod pack even when it's just SP. Community feeling and all.. perhaps that makes no sense to others. :)

But also when putting a lot of work into a map, I'd prefer that it's accessible to everyone, even without 'modding' skills.

At the moment I'm not playing any minecraft. Still my favorite game though. Hell I'm sometimes still walking around with my 2 different minecraft t-shirts. :P

Real chick magnet I tell ya

I'm okey with waiting for the next major update. I'm pretty sure that I'll move on to multiplayer at that point and set up my own 24/7 server. Not open for 'anyone' but just with a small group of dedicated people. Kinda like what Direwolf has going on. Each his own Myst world with a shared hub and a main world.

I like the idea of shaping the world - to improve it - together. Without cheating and since you're working with others you kinda have to settle on certain building permits/rules to prevent cluttering everything up. I suspect that only works with like-minded people though. As you can tell from my Horizon map I'm more into functionality. :D While pretty, I don't care much for a giant 2d megaman sculpture next to my home since it serves no actual purpose lol.

If you do continue it on Technic Pack, will you be updating the map ever again?

What exactly would you like to see being added Everest?

I personally consider the Horizon facility a finished release. The purpose of the upload/map was to give people who start over (since the 7.2 release) an advanced starting home that gives you a lot of freedom to do whatever you normally would do in a new world. In many cases I deliberately kept the interiors semi-blank for further improvements. It's just a new world, with a home. I thought about adding a giant wall with a moat/road and guard towers etc.. I already had done the designing for all that before 7.2. but not everyone might want that around their home so I didn't add it. Although not being able to copy/paste it in the new world because of block-id issues also played a role in that. :PP

Point is, minecraft is your own adventure. Pick up those blocks and shape the world around you how you see fit.

And as always: by all means, post pics of it! :)

Hey Julian, good to see you again.

Yeah I know you're really into the modding yourself but for me I like playing a standardized mod pack even when it's just SP. Community feeling and all.. perhaps that makes no sense to others. :)

But also when putting a lot of work into a map, I'd prefer that it's accessible to everyone, even without 'modding' skills.

At the moment I'm not playing any minecraft. Still my favorite game though. Hell I'm sometimes still walking around with my 2 different minecraft t-shirts. :P

Real chick magnet I tell ya

I'm okey with waiting for the next major update. I'm pretty sure that I'll move on to multiplayer at that point and set up my own 24/7 server. Not open for 'anyone' but just with a small group of dedicated people. Kinda like what Direwolf has going on. Each his own Myst world with a shared hub and a main world.

I like the idea of shaping the world - to improve it - together. Without cheating and since you're working with others you kinda have to settle on certain building permits/rules to prevent cluttering everything up. I suspect that only works with like-minded people though. As you can tell from my Horizon map I'm more into functionality. :D While pretty, I don't care much for a giant 2d megaman sculpture next to my home since it serves no actual purpose lol.

I understand what you're saying, but I should tell you a few things. #1, the FTB mod pack is a standardized modpack (http://feed-the-beast.com). #2, with the 1.3 release, Technic will be no more. Tekkit will replace Technic. (All mods have to be Multiplayer to work with MC 1.3.2. #3, the FTB modpack has permission from all the mod authors unlike technic/tekkit. #4, in my opinion, FTB will soon succeed Technic/Tekkit.

EDIT: The FTB modpack has a ton more functionality and gives an overall more balanced experienced. :)

What exactly would you like to see being added Everest?

I personally consider the Horizon facility a finished release. The purpose of the upload/map was to give people who start over (since the 7.2 release) an advanced starting home that gives you a lot of freedom to do whatever you normally would do in a new world. In many cases I deliberately kept the interiors semi-blank for further improvements. It's just a new world, with a home. I thought about adding a giant wall with a moat/road and guard towers etc.. I already had done the designing for all that before 7.2. but not everyone might want that around their home so I didn't add it. Although not being able to copy/paste it in the new world because of block-id issues also played a role in that. :PP

Point is, minecraft is your own adventure. Pick up those blocks and shape the world around you how you see fit.

And as always: by all means, post pics of it! :)

I know you have put a lot of work into this but there are a few things I wouldn't mind seeing. Maybe have all the machines turned into advance machines and put some space in the basement for maybe storage (and a nucular reactor :) ) I also found a few monsters spawn inside the industrialcraft building but overall it's great!

@Julian

I haven't checked the Feed The Beast modpack yet. When all the SP mods have been updated to MP and I make the switch to my own server, I'll decide which modpack I'll use.

I myself don't particularly care about the whole permission issue as long as credit is given. The mods are free to use so to prevent people from using it seems kinda petty to me. As I've said, I think the community feeling (and size) is more important. Any idea on popularity of FTB compared to Tekkit? Can't really imagine it being more with the Yogcast series of Tekkit being so successful (Still no java's though..!)

I know you have put a lot of work into this but there are a few things I wouldn't mind seeing. Maybe have all the machines turned into advance machines and put some space in the basement for maybe storage (and a nucular reactor :) ) I also found a few monsters spawn inside the industrialcraft building but overall it's great!

Monster spawns as in not enough lighting? Yeah despite the truckload of torches already present, I think I added a few extra after release as well. No biggy. I wouldn't have mind a mod that makes lighting an area (ie: no mob spawn) easier though.

As far as the machines go. I deliberately didn't use the advanced ones because I wanted people (including myself) to experience the 'upgrade phase'. At first I wasn't even planning any giving any free machines at all, but that would just break the functionality and be too difficult for people who don't understand the tube/pipe system. Especially since so much of the tubes and wiring runs through the floors/walls. If you haven't designed it you might not know what's going on so it had to be working "as is".

But uhm... you put a nuclear reactor in your house? Feeling courageous aren't we? :P

I don't fiddle around with them too much and when I do I make sure to keep my distance

I actually have an oil refinery setup.

- Oil is turned into fuel.

- Combustion engines provide Buildcraft power.

- This BC power is converted into IC power (thanks to the Transformer mod I believe) and send into an MFSU.

Sure it's easier to just build many solar panels, but this way I still occasionally have to hunt for oil wells. As in:

Go into a mystcraft world, find an oilwell, setup a pump system with a liquid minecraft loader, send the cart through a portal back to your refinery with the liquid unloader.

All of this gives you a 'mission' and increases the appreciation for power imo.

Plus I like making use of the mechanics that way. :)