[Bug][2.1.1]Is there a way to properly protect an area/chunks/spawn ?

NormenKD

Question

I have a nice rootserver desperately waiting to run Tekkit. We are already building a cliche spawn City (walls of text, tutorials, travelhub etc.) on a small, secret "offshore" vServer.

From all the small Bugs and annoyances that are still present in Tekkit (its still indev , i know) the ONLY thing hindering me to make it public is the broken Protection.

I want to make something not whitelisted, but those kind of servers only work if there is a way to protect certain areas.

If you haven't noticed yet, a protected area tends to prohibit normal users from destroying block just fine, but they are still able to place any block anywhere they want.

Im going to list a few things i tried(all these servers used jdk1.7_03):

Windows 7 Tekkit2.0: "Regios", "WorldGuard", "Factions", "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X"

Linux Tekkit2.0: "Regios", "WorldGuard", "Factions", "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X"

Windows 7 Tekkit2.1.1: "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X", "WorldGuard"

Linux Tekkit2.1.1: "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X", "WorldGuard"

I also gathered a few Threads in this forum that cover the same Topic, some report mixed results for "Towny", everything else seems to be confirmed not working:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,2143.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,2376.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,1922.0.html

Is this "just a bug" that could get fixed in the next recomended build? is this even fixable for all the tekkit mods? tekkit seems to be based on craftbukkit 1.1R4, and there its working fine.

If its not fixable, i would have to start thinking about something web based to whitelist people. Maybe this will keep most trolls and griefers away.

Edit for the sake of the Formatting:

Launcher/pack Version: 2.1.1

Operating System: Linux Kernel 3.0

Version of Java: jdk1.7_03

Description of Problem: Protection through Bukkit itself or plugins does not work Properly. Block placement (vanilla blocks or mod blocks) is still possible in protected areas.

Error Messages: N/A

Link to pastebin of log: N/A

more topics edit:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,3707.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,3410.0.html

Probably best if i leave a lead to the solution here:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,4645.0.html

• Answers 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Not trying to discourage the search for a solution, but this is in the hands of the tekkit team. Which is good. Considering this is clearly an issue with the BlockPlaceEvent, and that tekkit is not open source, I doubt we will find a fix :[.

We need to get some moderators together...and just use this: www.showmycode.com

I reported the bugs with WorldEdit/Guard to sk89q's bug board about a month ago. Since it's up to the creator of the plug-in (world edit/guard) to make it compatible with other mods if they so choose, I don't think that the Technic pack team can do much but also post/comment on sk89q's bug tracker. I've since given up on trying to get it to work since everyone concentrates on 1.2.3 right now and not fixing bugs for 1.1.

I checked the WorldGuard Wiki and there seems to be a new Region Flag called 'Construct', Allow or block placing/breaking blocks. Maybe that will be the answer to our problems, guess we just got to be patient and wait for update :)

I'm going to try something suggested to me by another plugin owner, not to fix this problem but it could help anyway. I'll get back to y'all if it works :)

I reported the bugs with WorldEdit/Guard to sk89q's bug board about a month ago. Since it's up to the creator of the plug-in (world edit/guard) to make it compatible with other mods if they so choose, I don't think that the Technic pack team can do much but also post/comment on sk89q's bug tracker. I've since given up on trying to get it to work since everyone concentrates on 1.2.3 right now and not fixing bugs for 1.1.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but,

I'm going to say this SLOWLY so you understand perhaps and stop posting the same thing.

1. TEKKIT altered (broke) a small part of BUKKIT.

2. Any plugin that uses Bukkit (most of them) WILL NOT DETECT BLOCK PLACEMENT.

3. There is NO WAY the PLUGIN AUTHOR could fix this.

The problem isn't that I couldn't fix the issue, it's that to fix it, I'd have to decompile the code. Meaning I would likely be breaking their license terms. So I'm not going to do that. :/

:'( I feel your pain.

This fix actually works (tested for 2.0)!

jodelahithit, u should post it just here, nomatter how "stupid" the fix seems to be .....

IT WORKS GODDAMIT!

(also breakes NEI for OP, not that give of a deal tbh, use /give or /i)

Ill porst it here (I really hope tekkit won't hate me now :\)

Okay this is how you do it:

The problem with block placement is codechickencore (enderchest)(NEI)

so you won't have enderchest on your server anymore and you can't take stuff from your NEI either (Searching for a fix now :D) sorry!

Goto: http://www.mcportcentral.co.za/index.php?topic=1360.0

And download:

CraftBukkit Modded jar file

craftbukkit-1.1-R4.jar ModloaderMP 1.1 r3

Minecraft Forge 1.3.3.12 r3

Rename that to Tekkit.jar and replace it with the old one.

Remove enderchest from mods folder and you're done!

Everything works fine now!

If it works for you too (It will!) plz tell the people on the forum so the other server owners can run a server normally too ;)

I worked really hard on searching for a fix and this is the only possibility i have found till now so... LET'S NORMAL PROTECTED TEKKIT SERVERS AND PLAY TEKKIT WITH OUR FRIENDS!!! :D

One of our devs found a solution.

The ItemBlock.class was missing a variable, replace the ItemBlock.class with the class file from Craftbukkit.

Done.

I tried that, with no success, could u link to the variable? And sourcefile he used?

Edit: Dang, that file i didnt try to replace, ill give it a go, tnx man!

Just a reply to the OP, I use Residence on my server and have it set so that people can't buid by default when a new residence is created, i have a spawn area that is protected by it and im working on buiding rental spaces IE public housing in a cell type spawn area.

Just a reply to the OP, I use Residence on my server and have it set so that people can't buid by default when a new residence is created, i have a spawn area that is protected by it and im working on buiding rental spaces IE public housing in a cell type spawn area.

If you test it (If you haven't modified tekkit.jar), you will see that others actually CAN *Build* in protected areas, but NOT *destroy*.

try using safezones from factions. it works on most server i know

-.- can you read? It's IMPOSSIBLE for ANY protection method to work without a modified tekkit.jar that's the whole point!

in my experience there is no proper grief protection just repair your best option is hawk eye (i know its bulky) BUT i can rollback anything from tekkit

Seriously? This thread is ABOUT how to get proper grief protection. Unless I'm reading your post wrong and you're trying to say that no anti-griefing plugin is 100% perfect, which is true.

I followed the directions from this guy... I downloaded the worldguard release from his link provided at this forum thread http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php?topic=7444.0

Anyways... An older version of worldguard will solve your issues. I hope i have contributed back to the community that has given me and my friends hours of help... If it wasnt for this community i would not have the badass server i just made. Its probably the only encouraged nuclear war server thats grief free... lmao...

I followed the directions from this guy... I downloaded the worldguard release from his link provided at this forum thread http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php?topic=7444.0

Anyways... An older version of worldguard will solve your issues. I hope i have contributed back to the community that has given me and my friends hours of help... If it wasnt for this community i would not have the badass server i just made. Its probably the only encouraged nuclear war server thats grief free... lmao...

Whoops... Just noticed this has already been reported sorry... =9