[Bug][2.1.1]Is there a way to properly protect an area/chunks/spawn ?

NormenKD

Question

I have a nice rootserver desperately waiting to run Tekkit. We are already building a cliche spawn City (walls of text, tutorials, travelhub etc.) on a small, secret "offshore" vServer.

From all the small Bugs and annoyances that are still present in Tekkit (its still indev , i know) the ONLY thing hindering me to make it public is the broken Protection.

I want to make something not whitelisted, but those kind of servers only work if there is a way to protect certain areas.

If you haven't noticed yet, a protected area tends to prohibit normal users from destroying block just fine, but they are still able to place any block anywhere they want.

Im going to list a few things i tried(all these servers used jdk1.7_03):

Windows 7 Tekkit2.0: "Regios", "WorldGuard", "Factions", "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X"

Linux Tekkit2.0: "Regios", "WorldGuard", "Factions", "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X"

Windows 7 Tekkit2.1.1: "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X", "WorldGuard"

Linux Tekkit2.1.1: "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X", "WorldGuard"

I also gathered a few Threads in this forum that cover the same Topic, some report mixed results for "Towny", everything else seems to be confirmed not working:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,2143.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,2376.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,1922.0.html

Is this "just a bug" that could get fixed in the next recomended build? is this even fixable for all the tekkit mods? tekkit seems to be based on craftbukkit 1.1R4, and there its working fine.

If its not fixable, i would have to start thinking about something web based to whitelist people. Maybe this will keep most trolls and griefers away.

Edit for the sake of the Formatting:

Launcher/pack Version: 2.1.1

Operating System: Linux Kernel 3.0

Version of Java: jdk1.7_03

Description of Problem: Protection through Bukkit itself or plugins does not work Properly. Block placement (vanilla blocks or mod blocks) is still possible in protected areas.

Error Messages: N/A

Link to pastebin of log: N/A

more topics edit:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,3707.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,3410.0.html

Probably best if i leave a lead to the solution here:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,4645.0.html

• Answers 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Alright... now people keep connecting wooden pipes to condensers making the server crash and causing me to have to download the 1G map, edit it in mc and upload it....

Can't block the placement of condensers so I can't have a public server.

Im aware of that 2 servers atleast have fixed this somehow. Its an issue, where this seems to be the only place sharing isnt a standar like the rest of the MC community. Ill start a thread called "Unofficil server bugs and fixes" soon, where ill give out server/clinetcrashing bugs, and easy what to do to fix them. I might also go into the more advanced issues, that usually forces servers to regenerate theyre entire map (thats really never needed to do).

I understand its a "race to be the best", but really ... is it ppl just out to get money (donations), or just pure selfishness that prevent them from actually help on issues?

I am going to try pex and its modifyworld component to try to block wood pipes or condensers for the time being until this gets fixed. I am glad the tekkit team donated enough of their time to get us this far. Donated. To you. And me. Have you thanked them? Just because you decided to try to run a 25 person tekkit server based on their donated time and it doesn't work 100% how does this make it their problem? I am SURE they know about it. I am SURE they are probably working on it with what donated time they have available. I am SURE there are other bugs on the radar as well, and they are going to fix them in the order it makes sense to fix em in. You deal with all the clear bugs first and maybe that clears up the unclear ones. I am just saying they don't owe us anything. Thank you sponge for digging in to this. I appreciate you donating time to the community this way. This is a terrible problem we server admins have. I wish it was somebody elses problem. But its not.

I am going to try pex and its modifyworld component to try to block wood pipes or condensers for the time being until this gets fixed. I am glad the tekkit team donated enough of their time to get us this far. Donated. To you. And me. Have you thanked them? Just because you decided to try to run a 25 person tekkit server based on their donated time and it doesn't work 100% how does this make it their problem? I am SURE they know about it. I am SURE they are probably working on it with what donated time they have available. I am SURE there are other bugs on the radar as well, and they are going to fix them in the order it makes sense to fix em in. You deal with all the clear bugs first and maybe that clears up the unclear ones. I am just saying they don't owe us anything. Thank you sponge for digging in to this. I appreciate you donating time to the community this way. This is a terrible problem we server admins have. I wish it was somebody elses problem. But its not.

Can you post a guide on how to do this?

holy crap dude, chill out. the people in this thread aren't being unreasonable or making demands like the technic team owes them anything. none of the people having this problem need or want your incoherent rant about how sure you are that this is being worked on, or that other bugs exist.

for any kind of server that wants to be more than a private server with close friends, these kinds of protections are required. that's just how it is. showing up and being all, "have you THANKED THEM for what DOES work? HUH? HAVE YOU?!?" or claiming that the problem is clearly with the people in this thread because they are such chumps for trying to run a proper server that doesn't suck, but aren't versed enough in java or motivated enough to find/fix the problem on their own is completely uncalled for.

EVERYBODY I HAVE A SOLUTION

sorry for the caps...but i thought i would contribute

on my 2.1.1 i have factions for 1.1 R4 and worldgaurd

my spawn is a safezoned area and users can't place or destroy blocks

the trick is to have a default rank where you cant build period (modifyworld?) and a rankup sign somewhere hidden to a member

i worldgaurded and safezoned the spawn and it works! members have factions.kit.fullplayer

i know other people have tried this and it doesnt work...but im just putting this out there.

if you want more info like plugins versions or whatever...i can look it up just leave a reply

I am sorry but this does not constitute a proper solution to the problem at hand. What you propose is to deny new users the right to build and instead make registration or "promotion", of sorts, a requirement. Our issue lies in the fact that we want to properly protect specific areas of the map, since your solution will prevent unregistered players from building anywhere on the map, and not prevent ALL users from building in certain areas it is not a feasible solution. Unless of course what your attempting to say is that through some miraculous insanity the presence of a group incapable of building results in no more issues with unreported block placements, but I find this excessively improbable. Thankyou for your contribution to the discussion though, if everyone with a possible solution were to bring it forth we may be able to identify a temporary solution, or a "workaround" of sorts. (Also sorry if it seemed that I was burning you but I've had a bad day in a building filled with useless people so I am a little volatile in my reactions)

EVERYBODY I HAVE A SOLUTION

sorry for the caps...but i thought i would contribute

on my 2.1.1 i have factions for 1.1 R4 and worldgaurd

my spawn is a safezoned area and users can't place or destroy blocks

the trick is to have a default rank where you cant build period (modifyworld?) and a rankup sign somewhere hidden to a member

i worldgaurded and safezoned the spawn and it works! members have factions.kit.fullplayer

i know other people have tried this and it doesnt work...but im just putting this out there.

if you want more info like plugins versions or whatever...i can look it up just leave a reply

Poe, please post ALL of your plugin versions, especially worlEdit, WorldGuard, Factions, Essentials, PermissionsEX, and modifyworld! I NEED this to work :)

I have spent the last 2 hours going through ever worldguard and worldedit version since 1000 all of them produce the same result, can place, cant break. There is no way I can have working dungeons with this bug.

The reason for this being, as I stated before, bukkit not sending BlockPlaceEvent. Unless there is a plugin that circumvents bukkits block events, and finds its own, there should be no way any plugins properly stop block placement.

That means any plugin using bukkit will not receive BlockPlaceEvent, (such as here (worldguard) : https://github.com/sk89q/worldguard/blob/master/src/main/java/com/sk89q/worldguard/bukkit/WorldGuardBlockListener.java#L476) so the plugins cannot stop or even know that blocks are being placed.

I'm not aware of any open source code for tekkit, thus I can only speculate , but this probably stems from tekkit fiddling with some part of bukkit, and forgetting/stopping BlockPlaceEvent.

I would start by finding how bukkit stores the events internally, here (https://github.com/Bukkit/Bukkit/blob/master/src/main/java/org/bukkit/plugin/SimplePluginManager.java#L466) , debugging by printing off all events directly from bukkits registerEventListeners, seeing if bukkit is grabbing them but not sending them, and if it isn't grabbing them checking to make sure the mc class files within tekkit have not been modified to stop bukkit from recognizing BlockPlaceEvents. I notice packet61 "World Events" has been changed somehow between tekkit and bukkit, for example. Perhaps thats just a version difference though.

Tekkit certainly does have a customEventListener class, so perhaps that is the reason.

Who really knows though?

I am sorry but this does not constitute a proper solution to the problem at hand. What you propose is to deny new users the right to build and instead make registration or "promotion", of sorts, a requirement. Our issue lies in the fact that we want to properly protect specific areas of the map, since your solution will prevent unregistered players from building anywhere on the map, and not prevent ALL users from building in certain areas it is not a feasible solution. Unless of course what your attempting to say is that through some miraculous insanity the presence of a group incapable of building results in no more issues with unreported block placements, but I find this excessively improbable. Thankyou for your contribution to the discussion though, if everyone with a possible solution were to bring it forth we may be able to identify a temporary solution, or a "workaround" of sorts. (Also sorry if it seemed that I was burning you but I've had a bad day in a building filled with useless people so I am a little volatile in my reactions)

sorry...i got excited lol...this did actually work yesterday but today it decided not to. vidplace7 can approve that it worked

The reason for this being, as I stated before, bukkit not sending BlockPlaceEvent. Unless there is a plugin that circumvents bukkits block events, and finds its own, there should be no way any plugins properly stop block placement.

That means any plugin using bukkit will not receive BlockPlaceEvent, (such as here (worldguard) : https://github.com/sk89q/worldguard/blob/master/src/main/java/com/sk89q/worldguard/bukkit/WorldGuardBlockListener.java#L476) so the plugins cannot stop or even know that blocks are being placed.

I'm not aware of any open source code for tekkit, thus I can only speculate , but this probably stems from tekkit fiddling with some part of bukkit, and forgetting/stopping BlockPlaceEvent.

I would start by finding how bukkit stores the events internally, here (https://github.com/Bukkit/Bukkit/blob/master/src/main/java/org/bukkit/plugin/SimplePluginManager.java#L466) , debugging by printing off all events directly from bukkits registerEventListeners, seeing if bukkit is grabbing them but not sending them, and if it isn't grabbing them checking to make sure the mc class files within tekkit have not been modified to stop bukkit from recognizing BlockPlaceEvents. I notice packet61 "World Events" has been changed somehow between tekkit and bukkit, for example. Perhaps thats just a version difference though.

Tekkit certainly does have a customEventListener class, so perhaps that is the reason.

Who really knows though?

If this is the case...which i thank you for finding...cant somebody just make a simplepluginmanagerAlt.java with the exact same code exccept change all of the "listener"s to the custom event listener? i'm no developer...but this seems to have some logic :]

I agree that this is most likely caused by Tekkit tampering with bukkit. All in all its a good thing they have going, but this needs to at least be addressed by one of their devs, so we know that they are aware of the issue. If they have already done this then I'll just shut up and wait for a fix

The fact that Tekkit is not registering block placements is most likely the reason LogBlock is not recording anything either

I checked the WorldGuard Wiki and there seems to be a new Region Flag called 'Construct', Allow or block placing/breaking blocks. Maybe that will be the answer to our problems, guess we just got to be patient and wait for update :)

Sadly it would seem they have merely altered the "build" flag and renamed it to "construct". Also this problem would then only pertain to worldguard, which it does not. So sadly we are back to searching. Thank you for your input.

Not trying to discourage the search for a solution, but this is in the hands of the tekkit team. Which is good. Considering this is clearly an issue with the BlockPlaceEvent, and that tekkit is not open source, I doubt we will find a fix :[.

I agree that this is most likely caused by Tekkit tampering with bukkit. All in all its a good thing they have going, but this needs to at least be addressed by one of their devs, so we know that they are aware of the issue. If they have already done this then I'll just shut up and wait for a fix

The fact that Tekkit is not registering block placements is most likely the reason LogBlock is not recording anything either

The logblock thing you said sparked in my head. I am using logblock and I noticed it doesn't record block placement. However it does for some blocks. "Kasatome created x136" those are the redpower slabs, covers etc. I don't have a clue if this is helpful/new info, but I wanted to let you guys know that I found those to be recorded.