Star Trek

Jay?

So, what with the reboot movie having done so well, it seems like we're likely to have a new star trek TV series sometime in the relative future.

What i'm interested in, is what form it will take. The new movie was very cinematic and actiony and not very talky. The things I liked about Trek was always the philosophical parts and the pseudo-sciencey stuff.

I'm afraid that a new trek series would be more like Star Trek: Enterprise despite its poor reviews, relatively short runtime, and poor ratings.

So question time:

What do you want to see in a new Trek?

What was your favorite Trek?

Least favorite Trek?

Favorite Star Trek race?

I'd like to see more of the philosophical/ sciencey/ episodes that actually make you think. My favorite episodes were ones that took a problem of today and superimposed it on another race that the crew of the enterprise would encounter from an outside perspective. My all time favorite Star Trek was probably Voyager mainly due to the fact that they were isolated and couldn't magically repair their ships in between episodes (another thing I loved about Enterprise). Most importantly though, they reached Warp Speed 10... and then conveniently forgot about it for the rest of the franchise. It's not so bad, I suppose, as the original series where, apparently, traveling backwards really, REALLY fast reverses time. So ya, there's that.

In addition to all this, it might be interesting to have the series centered around the use of a series of portals. For example, the portals could act similar to gates taking you from one star to another almost instantaneously. In other words they are gates... to the stars. I would call the show Gate Trek.

P.S. Borg ftw!

Voyager was pretty good.

Yeah they reached Warp 10 in ToS, but the warp tables were redrawn after the original series. Warp 14.something was possible in ToS, but later it was decided that the threshold should sound more significant, so the actual speed modifiers were changed for TNG.

My overall favorite has actually been DS9, due mainly to the slower, more fluid character progression, larger cast, and the fact that it featured an actual healthy family relationship. Also, Dax was, and has been one of the most compelling characters for me.

I don't want to see a new TV series based on the movies yet. I want Abrams to keep up with the movies. I'm fine with cinema as a medium. It's made all my favorite comic book characters (except Namor) be awesome.

Favorite Star Trek : TNG. Geordi and Data made me love science and probably have a lot to do with me being at uni for engineering now.

Least Favorite Trek : ToS (because enterprise doesn't count). Too campy. Although it started the whole thing, kirk was utterly ridiculous. Movies were good though. Well, not the first one.

Favorite Star Trek Race : Trill. Ezri Dax is super hot.

If you were referring to the Voyager episode where they "reached warp 10", even the writers of that episode have disowned it for being... comically bad. Other than that though, Voyager was probably my favorite series because the writers could pretty much do anything they wanted, which resulted in some awesome (and as mentioned previously, bad, heh) episodes.

If you were referring to the Voyager episode where they "reached warp 10", even the writers of that episode have disowned it for being... comically bad. Other than that though, Voyager was probably my favorite series because the writers could pretty much do anything they wanted, which resulted in some awesome (and as mentioned previously, bad, heh) episodes.

Nah, In ToS, an episode titled "That which survives" saw the Enterprise traveling at Warp 14.1. That was before the warp scale restructuring though.

Admittedly, in TNG and Voyager, Federation ships from the future are capable of traveling at warp 13, which suggests a second restructuring.

I still say my "gate to the stars" idea would make an amazing series. ^_^

A gate to the stars? You mean, a... Stargate? Perhaps they could send out teams of four through the gate, and call them "SG-1", "SG-2", etc...

;)

@Jay?: I should have quoted ws10, I was referring to his post. I did find it odd that they would go back to the "old style" warp speed categorization system for those future-of-the-future episodes... it seems, well, odd!

I would love to see a Star Trek series that took place in the same universe as the Mirror,Mirror episodes.

Would love to see a Evil Federation that is at war with a Good Borg who are just trying to save people by bringing them into the Collective.

Resistance is your only hope!

I really have no idea what a series would take on. Even if it happens at all, I know that the current trekkiemovieverse is booked for another two titles...

But the movies are clearly set in a new universe, ya know, with the whole Vulcan blowing up (well, in) thing.

And Zachary Quino fucking nailed Spock. Watch the movie again, then watch some of ToS.

Fascinating. :D

EDIT : Don't diss Enterprise. It got off to a slow first season, but picks up well from there.

EDIT : Don't diss Enterprise. It got off to a slow first season, but picks up well from there.

because I'm such a nerd, I watched the whole thing. You'll have to let me know exactly where it gets better. I must have missed it. It sucks from the theme song to the acting. I can let the acting kind of slide because it just wasn't written well. It's like JK Rowling's new book. I love the Harry Potter series but she totally dropped the ball on the new one.

My all time favorite Star Trek was probably Voyager mainly due to the fact that they were isolated and couldn't magically repair their ships in between episodes (another thing I loved about Enterprise). Most importantly though, they reached Warp Speed 10... and then conveniently forgot about it for the rest of the franchise. It's not so bad, I suppose, as the original series where, apparently, traveling backwards really, REALLY fast reverses time. So ya, there's that.

I... I can't tell if you're serious with this part. I mean, yes, you do say the bit about gate trek, but still, you could be serious *twitches a little*

As a person who enjoys continuity, i will diss enterprise all i like.

;)

@Jay?: I should have quoted ws10, I was referring to his post. I did find it odd that they would go back to the "old style" warp speed categorization system for those future-of-the-future episodes... it seems, well, odd!

Are you referring to the time that Tom Paris went everywhere in space at the same time, and turned into a mutant, or the using the Borg Transwarp Coils, which only lasted for abou 20,000 light years?

Either way, Voyager never say any practical long term trans-warp capabilities.

Hidden

;)

Are you referring to the time that Tom Paris went everywhere in space at the same time, and turned into a mutant, or the using the Borg Transwarp Coils, which only lasted for abou 20,000 light years?

Either way, Voyager never say any practical long term trans-warp capabilities.

Obi Wan is my favorite Star Trek character right behind Captain Adama.

On a serious note, as a youngin' that never saw any of the originals, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek movie. I realize there were some "stupid comedic" moments in there but I thought it was necessary. Because sci fi has the pleasure of seeming really cheesy if super-serious all the time (one exception I find though is Battlestar, which is always on the edge for me).

as a youngin' that never saw any of the originals

I feel as though I fit in your category here. I never saw any of the series or movies. Then, suddenly, my dad said "They're on all weekend, lets watch!" Watched, and I couldn't believe how into it he was. Then the 09 movie came out. He hated it, said it was a mockery of the shows he once loved. Well, I loved it, thought it really made a good transition from the original shows, to a possible remake/continuance in this generation. And, they cast some really good looking people :)

Voyager episode where they "reached warp 10

I actually liked that episode, it was so horribly comical, it actually had a bit of entertainment that wasn't yet...oveused.

Obi Wan is my favorite Star Trek character right behind Captain Adama.

On a serious note, as a youngin' that never saw any of the originals, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek movie. I realize there were some "stupid comedic" moments in there but I thought it was necessary. Because sci fi has the pleasure of seeming really cheesy if super-serious all the time (one exception I find though is Battlestar, which is always on the edge for me).

I'm not gonna say the movie was bad, It just felt more Star Wars-y than Star Trek-y.

I personally liked the 2009 Star Trek movie, but to really enjoy it I had to watch it twice.

The first time i was pissed thru the whole thing and really didn't like it much .

The second time I made it a point to watch it as it own movie and not a continuation of the previous movies, and it was pretty good.

I thought the acting was pretty good and the story line has alot of potential for growth in completely different directions than the original series, I'm looking forward to the new movies to see how they handle some of the situations the original crew managed to get themselves into.