Best Games No One Played

crzymn777

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knights & Merchants:

Similar to the Settler series, my favorite thing about this game is the character animations. I love watching the little guys go about their tasks and transport materials. Combat is Awful with a capital suck, though. And VERY slow paced. Good laptop game to play while watching a movie.

Zeus/Poseidon:

Not completely unknown, but pretty rare to run into people who played this gem. The best of the Impressions City-Builder games, with bright, crisp graphics that still look good and just hella fun to play. Combat is significantly less awful that K&M.

Evil Genius:

Had more people played this, we might have got a sequel (might still yet.) Spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper (until War For the Overworld comes out... go buy into it NOW! Their Paypal campaign is still going!) this game put you in the shoes of an evil overlord running an underground base while secret agents attacked.

Fracas:

Tiny little game similar to Risk with randomly generated Fractal terrain. Play in 10-15 minutes. There's an open-source remake out there, but this game is begging for a tablet port. Touch controls would be perfect.

Knights of Honor:

To the guy who recommended this a few pages back, you are correct sir. And it's only like $4 on Steam right now. Like Europa Universalis with Total War combat.

Gnomoria:

Graphical Dwarf-Fortress. SO much better than Towns, which is like something that came out of my ass.

Startopia:

Another game that more people should have played. Fully 3d space-station simulator that was like a cross of Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper. Lots to do, great graphics (even today,) and some amazing interface options that were WAY ahead of their time.

I'm sure there are more, but it's 6:30 in the morning.

This game is actually pretty popular, but unless you're in it's sort of cult or hear about it from a friend you never hear about it;

King Arthur's Gold

It's basically a game where you can be a knight, archer, or builder, then you go smash people's faces in or build people's forts in. It's ridiculously fast and for "just" the multiplayer it's free (It has a singleplayer build mode, and singleplayer deathmatch. It also has zombie mode if you pay).

This one is sort of on the same lines, but it hit steam so it's a good deal more popular;

Airmech.

You control a transformer (you can buy new ones later), and it can either be a walker on the ground or a aircraft. It also has strategy elements, as you can pick up and drop units in air mode.

Evil Genius:

Had more people played this, we might have got a sequel (might still yet.) Spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper (until War For the Overworld comes out... go buy into it NOW! Their Paypal campaign is still going!) this game put you in the shoes of an evil overlord running an underground base while secret agents attacked.

This game could not be beaten. The agents just got too powerful, and you couldn't stop them. I think it was a design flaw.

This game could not be beaten. The agents just got too powerful, and you couldn't stop them. I think it was a design flaw.

I beg to differ. I beat this game several times. The key in the endgame was to have a great trap structure and be prepared for the chaos. If you timed it well and captured the Bond-type agent (Steel? Something? Been a couple of years) you could strap him to the rocket as it launched to the moon.

If you're referring to regular agents, you just had to keep your heat down by either designing a fake base at the entrance to deter investigators or sending units like Diplomats to regions to lower heat when you did missions.

Man what an awesome game.

Also if you captured an agent, you could perpetually torture them (using the mixer in your cafeteria and thereby also increasing stats of your minions) until you unlocked the method for defeating them. My favorite was making the hot black chick fat. Again, awesome game.

I'd recommend Transformice, a free browser game. It's a platformer that basically places you in control of a mouse, and your objective is to get the cheese and return to the hole. It's a lot more fun than it sounds, and you might want to go to this video if you need convincing:

That game is really, really hard. Either that, or I don't know what to do. Probably the latter.

- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun +Firestorm Expansion

- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

- Thief II: The Metal Age

- Homeworld

- Metal Fatigue (For God's sake, someone make the idea into modern 3d engines q.q)

- Nox

Those few made me buy Win98 which i keep on external drive, just when i feel like going back in time.

C&C: TS is the first game i've ever played on PC. Excluding DoS PacMan that is.

• Final Fantasy Tactics

• The Fame: Genre-defining tactical gameplay, featuring a mature story and vast strategic breadth
    • The Shame: Overshadowed by its contemporary, the shittily-rendered Final Fantasy 7
    • Epic Play: 3 Monks (Guts/Basic Skill, Blade Grasp, Two Swords, Move+3, max Brave, 50 Faith,+physical power gear), 2 Summoners (Math Skill, Blade Grasp, Two Swords/Magic Attack Up, Teleport/Fly, max Brave, 50-75 Faith, +magical power gear, optional reraise perfume). One monk alone can kill the final boss first-phase in one turn, and second-phase in two turns, at 2 hits per turn, 900+ damage per hit.

[*]Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun & Firestorm

• The Fame: A hodge-podge of stimulating ideas flavoring dull, imbalanced strategy gameplay
    • The Shame: Once a genre-defining RTS franchise, consistent design failures make all C&C games easy to ignore
    • Epic Play: In the last mission of Firestorm, take control of all enemy installations, especially the super-weapons. Spend the next several hours goofing off; spam missiles and hunter seeker drones, none of which can penetrate Cabal's Firestorm shield, and sacrifice swarms of banshees upon the shield to crash them into the obelisks and power plants on the other side. Finally, set a trap, destroy the final power plant, lure The Guardian (Cabal's ultimate weapon with 10000 hit points) toward a single unstealthed power plant, one-shot it with a laser fence.

[*]Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge

• The Fame: Like all other C&C games, it's a mess of cool but poorly implemented ideas
    • The Shame: Fairly well-known, and well-known for reprehensible imbalances exploited regularly on its abominable multiplayer service
    • Epic Troll: 1 Transport, 4 Flak Tracks, 21 Crazy Ivans. Attach explosives to each Crazy Ivan before loading it into the Flack Tracks, and to each Flack Track before loading it into the Transport. You now possess a doomsday weapon; unloading the transport will cause a sequence of detonations that will crash the game.
    • Epic Play: In the last Allied mission in RA2, accidentally lose your entire base and all your units to Soviet nukes, except two Chrono Legionnaires. Complete the mission with only these two units. Hint: The Kirov Airships tracking you can be tricked into bombing friendly units and structures.

[*]Secret of Evermore

• The Fame: Tactical action narrative play, featuring a modest selection of weapons and an impressive array of alchemy powers
    • The Shame: Frequently confused with Secret of Mana.
    • Epic Play: During the first boss fight at the end of the prehistoric realm, queue up a veritable fuck-tonne of alchemy commands to cause a buffer overflow. The overwritten memory will cause text errors, distorted audio, garbled menus, and your quest item menu will, in a manner defying any attempt at comprehension, lead you back to navigate the world, only rendered completely in error garbage. And don't worry; it won't damage your save file (probably).

I personally like C&C: Generals better, with the Zero Hour pack

Yeah, me too. IMO it was the best one, but the netcode was horrible. You couldn't do anything bigger than LAN play with 3 players, or the game would crash after a while.

I always played it with the CnC Holland mod. Now those were the days...

I could never really stand the campaigns in Zero Hour because they forced you to watch an unskippable cutscene every time you loaded a level, even when loading a savegame. Worst part is, the "Loading bar" you see at the bottom during these movies is completely fake. As soon as the movie ends, disk usage suddenly goes up and the map loads instantly.