Dwarf Fortress

Nethaufer

Personally, I like to play the games that influence game I really like. Even more so if it's freeware. Dwarf fortress is credited to be an influence for Minecraft, so I recently downloaded it and gave it a try. Even though the game itself is old, and the fact that it uses font characters for the graphics, instead of proper graphics, it is still alive and well. I wanted to say that the game is really fun, and is really hard for new players. Sound familiar? It should, because it was probably the same for when you all first started playing Minecraft.

Basically, you start out with 7 dwarves, each with talents you can assign, and some tools/food/animals/resources you also can choose. You create a random map and choose an embark point. From there, you designate your dwarves to do things. Like dig a hole in the ground for your fortress. And by designate, I mean highlight an area for them to do something and hope to god that the one dwarf you decided to make your miner decides to actually dig. It's not that bad though.

I recommend you all give it a try some time. You can download it either at the wikipedia, or the devs site, which is easily found by searching Bay12 Games.

DF is awesome, and a little imagination goes a long way with it.

It's quite fun to setup entrance hallways full of steel large serrated disc traps (huge buzz saws), and watch invading goblins turn into flying bits of invading goblin.

Lots of good mods for it too, and development is constantly progressing so new features get added whenever toady can.

Dwarf Fortress has long been one of my favorite games.

To anyone unfamiliar with DF, i give this warning:

This game will fuck you. Hard. Be prepared to read hundreds of pages of tutorial. Be prepared to die constantly. Be prepared to not know how ANYTHING works.

Be prepared for giant evil Zombie whales.

Using tilesets is inadvisable, you need to wait for them to update after every update.

And $ isn't the character for containers, Æ is.

:P

I dissagree. Tilesets are totally advisable for people who cant translate

00000000000000000000000000000^000000000000000000000

0^0000000000000000000D00000000000000000000000000000

00000D00^000000^000000D0000^000000*0000000000000000

00000000000000000000^0000000000000*&*00000000000000

0000000000000d00000000000000^000000*0000000000000000

00000$000000000000000D00000000000000000000000000000

Into a picture of three dwarves being attacked by a a unicorn.

Meh, just grab it from the main site. While you're there, check the Modding forum for Dwarf Therapist and DFHack.

Therapist is pretty much necessary for any fort of more than 20 dwarves (default allows immigrants to hit 200 population).

DFhack give you some really nice tools, a visualizer, and a minecraft map exporter (indev only for now, they have plans on making it current with the new minecraft map format)

Meh, just grab it from the main site. While you're there, check the Modding forum for Dwarf Therapist and DFHack.

Therapist is pretty much necessary for any fort of more than 20 dwarves (default allows immigrants to hit 200 population).

DFhack give you some really nice tools, a visualizer, and a minecraft map exporter (indev only for now, they have plans on making it current with the new minecraft map format)

Dwarf therapist is my hero.

That minecraft map exporter is never going to happen. It was available for one or two months of indev, and then never again. It'd be nice, but i'm going to treat it as abandonware for now.

Using tilesets is inadvisable, you need to wait for them to update after every update.

And $ isn't the character for containers, Æ is.

:P

Likely right, I haven't played in forever, thanks for the correction. Darn that is going to confuse me XP

Dwarf therapist is my hero.

That minecraft map exporter is never going to happen. It was available for one or two months of indev, and then never again. It'd be nice, but i'm going to treat it as abandonware for now.

Someone will be bored and geeky enough to make it at some point more likely then not.

The area where my well is is flooded because I forgot about water pressure and the water went around my pump. Good thing I had built a floodgate there moments before that happened. Now I need to wait until the short winter freeze before I can repair the damage and get another floodgate up where the water from the river enters the reservoir.

• 4 weeks later...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Pretty much learn this entire wiki :P

yeah, the wiki is pretty entertaining though, so it shouldn't be too hard. I have a trench filled with water circling my dwarfs now, with a single entrance.

EDIT: all of my dwarfs are hiding in their burrow, what do i do to get them out?

EDITEDIT: figured out what burrows are for, DERP!

Particularly anything rated D for Dorf. those are always... informative.

you should also check out some of the old bugs, as they could be pretty entertaining. (Oh god, carp, what the high hell.)

haha, where are the old bug sections on the wiki? i will look around :)

Jay? Has cancelled moderate: Interrupted by carp.

Particularly anything rated D for Dorf. those are always... informative.

you should also check out some of the old bugs, as they could be pretty entertaining. (Oh god, carp, what the high hell.)

hahahaha, found the bug, apparently, carp used to be able to stand up. Or maybe it wasn't a bug!