Your favourite programming screwup.

jakj

1) Last summer I was working on experimental flood forecasting system for one big country. That day I managed to finish new version of web interface just in night before deadline and uploaded server-side scripts and model, written in fortran, to main server and client-side to webhosting (pretty silly, but that's not me who makes rules). After setting things up I realized that now client and server can't understand each other. Totally. Every single query. Setting my server as main not changed anything. Everything works fine on my testing system, but on servers of research center scripts just goes crazy and reporting about invalid queries.

The problem was in little hosting-side script, that was proxing requests. On my testing system all worked clean, but that server messed up json data, adding some punctuation to it.

Form that day I do not trust any software, which wasn't configured by me =\

2) Once I wrote CMS system. It was lacking of admin instruments, but because all of my team were skillful coders and community wasn't very big, that was not big problem. So, one day I was changing user's password's hash directly in database by UPDATE request and forgot WHERE part. That cleared passwords of all users. Last backup was about two weeks ago.

All old users was recovered from backup, but several dozens of new was missing. And, I hacked code so it will during login write down user's password's hash if there is no password in database. Silently.

No one ever noticed = D

Recently while trying to recreate FCs windmills, turing them on made the windmill blades fire out infinitely in all directions.

Not really a coding error, just screwed up building the entity... really really hard.

Pleeeease tell me you had fraps on. That needs to be shared.

I wish. I don't test things with recording software on because it always plunges my framerate, but i want to be able to tell if something I've done is causing low framerates.

I wish. I don't test things with recording software on because it always plunges my framerate, but i want to be able to tell if something I've done is causing low framerates.

now that you know the effect, you could try recording. i have to say, infinite windmills in all directions sounds quite entertaining.

now that you know the effect, you could try recording. i have to say, infinite windmills in all directions sounds quite entertaining.

Oh, i fixed that issue last week.

Also, they didn't multiply outward, they just, instead of following the rotation of the axle, fired out like giant leather missiles.

Heh, radius instead of radians! Makes me think of when I kill a spider in Skyrim and its leg starts dancing like a ferret on cocaine with a pair of maracas tied to its legs.

that makes me think of painkiller antigravity.

Take the treebranch gun, and go to the cathedral level. Wait for some body to lob an axe at you. Hit the axe with a treebranch, and the two will hang there in the air, rotating for eternity. Sometimes they'll even accelerate.

that makes me think of painkiller antigravity.

Take the treebranch gun, and go to the cathedral level. Wait for some body to lob an axe at you. Hit the axe with a treebranch, and the two will hang there in the air, rotating for eternity. Sometimes they'll even accelerate.

there is a treebranch gun in painkiller? No wonder bulletstorm was so bizarre. you got extra upgrade points for shooting someone in the crotch.

• 9 months later...

When I first began programming in Javascript, I got an assignment to make an error message pop up whenever you pressed a button.

It worked, but when you closed the error message, it re-appeared. Continuously. Until my screen was full of error messages. I was forced to restart my laptop, because I couldn't keep up with trying to close them all.

To this day, I still have no idea how I even managed to make something like that happen.

Had just spent 4 hours working on a basic forge mod. I wanted to run some MCP script that would delete all my code files and replace them with basic minecraft files, as I thought I might have screwed some of the core files up. Naturally, I copied the directory with my code to the clipboard. But, I never pasted it into any other location, believing that I could just paste it back in. 60 seconds later.....OH SHIT

• 3 weeks later...

Woah...loads of coding talk and here I am programming a shitty lua script in ComputerCraft to launch missiles at my command.

I did have a screw up in making it though, I had the one terminal to send a word over via rednet, when the other computer receives the word it (using an if statement) initiates the launch. After much shouting and kicking desks I realized I'd spelt receive wrong (I spelt it like this: recieve), so I corrected my error and thought it was going to work. My hopes were crushed though as it still didn't work. After even more shouting and kicking desks I realized the if statement wasn't being triggered because the word that triggered it wasn't the word I was sending to it...I facepalmed, facedesked and facespiked at exactly the same time.

Help me please

Note: I've set it up so: False means power, True mean no power, it will not work any other way.

write (" GLaDOS v0.5 ")

print (" Welcome")

print (" Power Status: ")

sleep (2)

if redstone.getInput("back", false)

print (" You have power ")

sleep (2)

print (" Well good for you :-/ ")

sleep (2)

os.shutdown

else

print (" Power Supply Empty ")

Sleep (2)

print (" Oh well ")

sleep (2)

print (" There's no point crying over it ")

sleep (2)

print (" Well? ")

sleep (2)

print (" Go fix it then ")

sleep (2)

os.shutdown()

end

Request for help without any description of the problem.

You have three errors. Here are some hints that will help you fix them.

1. if THEN else

2. You call something twice but left part off the first time.

3. Lua is cAsE-SeNsiTiVe

The FALSE in "redstone.getInput("back", false)" does nothing by the way.