***WARNING….. NEWB ALERT… (with inevitable questions :\ ) ***

outdoor_jo

Hello folks,

(Very probably posted in the wrong place, please forgive and move appropriately, thank you)

Anyway, I have spent most of the afternoon browsing the forums, a) to get a feel for the place and, B) to see if I could find some answers but sadly, I’m far too stupid so here goes …

( It’s ok, I’ve got my flameproof underwear on so if the flamers could please do their worse as quickly as possible then perhaps those with intent to actually help can get on stage ;o) ….. )

I’m going to bore you with a bit of background first simply so that in the long run, we can save a bit of time by cutting out continued repetitive explanations of the same problem from a different angle, so although the next bit may seem a little long winded (and I do apologize for that, it’s my age ..) it is actually intended to give you, the clever people, as much information as possible so as not to waste too much of your valuable time.

Ok, it all started way back in the days before fast B’band was freely available to individual households. Back then, me and my 3 sons ran a local internet / LAN gaming centre which was very popular among the local youngsters and great fun was had by all. Long story short, as with most internet cafés, when cheap home B’band became available, we were forced to shut up shop. We did however leave a legacy of local kids who loved LAN gaming as well as their new found ‘online’ fun so now we have a reasonably large (14 point) home network and having discovered Minecraft, enjoy nothing more than inviting a few mates round for a good ole private MC session. Imagine our joy when we discovered Tekkit .. It has completely changed the experience for us and is spreading locally like wildfire.

We have one house rule, NO CRACKED GAMES so we therefore have no player ID issues and all works well in that respect.

Now, before I pose the impending ‘help request’ here’s the first of a number of caveats, I will mark them all with a * simply to draw the readers attention to them, trust me, this really is a timesaver … ok so …

*1 … We are none of us games developers, programmers or techie in any way shape or form, we are but humble gamers of the “pay, click and use” variety, so would be ever so appreciative if anyone who does happen to reply could do so in a way your average doughnut can understand :o)

(in fact, the reason I’ve been press ganged into joining and posing the question is because the rest of them are too scared of being flamed whereas at my age, being the ‘dad’ , it’s pretty much water off a ducks back and I usually give as good as I get.)

The first issue we have is the dreaded “LAG” :o( on the LAN server, and a strange message reporting :….

“Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?”

This happens whether there are anything from one to twelve players on the server, on initial login it works fine and runs smoothly, but within a few minutes everything grinds to such a slow speed that it becomes virtually unplayable. The only cure we have found so far is to come out of the came, log back into the Tekkit Launcher and start again, which to be honest, is a right royal pain in the proverbial!

*2 … One of the many reasons we prefer to play on LAN rather than to create a private ‘online’ server is because I rather stupidly got myself locked into a long term ISP contract that has a “Fair Usage Policy” and we were constantly going over our limit and getting charged inordinate amounts of money for it :o\

It seems to make no difference whether one is using the hard wired part of the LAN or the wireless, neither does machine spec seem to make a difference, some of our players have very high spec gaming machines whilst some of us lesser mortals have bog standard home PC’s the results are more or less the same. Oh, and the problem only started since we discovered the joys of Tekkit / Buildcraft / Industrialcraft and the rail & forestry mods.

We are therefore hoping, nay praying, that you guys who we consider the gods of Minecraft, may have found a simple solution to this what can only be described as … game spoiler.

There are other questions, but I think as a first post this will do :o| (understatement of the year award)

We await replies with fervent expectation and more than a little a little trepidation ;o)

Oh, and thank you for a spectacular game / mod / enhancement :o)

Average machine spec:

Inspiron One 19T

Intel® Celeron® CPU E1500 @ 2.20GHz

3,036.80 MB useable memory

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel® G41 Express Chipset graphics card

Re: ***WARNING….. NEWB ALERT… (with inevitable questions :\ ) ***

Haven't read you're entire post, but if I'm correct you're using too much bandwith? If I'm correct, you need to host a server on the LAN itself. If you want help on this, just ask.

EDIT: I don't really agree with him getting Helen Keller'd. It's one of the best posts from a noob I've ever seen.

Im not too sure what your asking, but i guess ill say a few things.

If its related to multiplayer and tekkit, you'll get more help in that forum.

And for the title, lots of caps, periods, etc isnt good, a title like "Setting up a LAN server, Server cant keep up, etc" that means people can see what your asking and give more help.

Thank you both :o) ........... in a nutshell, LAN server is up and running, main problem is massive lag since upgrading to Tekkit ..... will now search for multiplayer Tekkit forum and see if I can transfer the post.

Thank you for your input.

In edit, firstly apologies for all the yawning wassanames ... emotes? .... wasn't aware that they were automatic, am too used to doing my own as in :0) etc .. didn't know that the colon + o = yawn

Secondly, I'm too stupid to know what a "Helen Keller" is and too thick skinned to care ;)

Thank you both :o) ........... in a nutshell, LAN server is up and running, main problem is massive lag since upgrading to Tekkit ..... will now search for multiplayer Tekkit forum and see if I can transfer the post.

Thank you for your input.

In edit, firstly apologies for all the yawning wassanames ... emotes? .... wasn't aware that they were automatic, am too used to doing my own as in :0) etc .. didn't know that the colon + o = yawn

Secondly, I'm too stupid to know what a "Helen Keller" is and too thick skinned to care ;)

Helen keller means you've broken rules, done something stupid, acted stupid, that sort of thing...

The reason your getting lag is because the mods cause it, you just need more specs.

Helen keller means you've broken rules, done something stupid, acted stupid, that sort of thing...

The reason your getting lag is because the mods cause it, you just need more specs.

This guy is right on both things. Most mods just require you have a better machine, both server and client wise. There's not much we can do.

Ahhh right .. ok, well if thats all the flaming I'm going to get then I consider myself as having got off lightly ;D

as for machine specs ... blimey .. really? ... hmm not sure what to do about that then because some of the machines that turn up here are truly awesome! one of the guys just bought a £1,800 pure gaming machine and that suffers the same as my old clunk box even when we run a dedicated server.

Oh well, it's a shame as we all really enjoyed Tekkit but it's looking like a return to vanilla minecraft then :(, can't really see many of the guys spending ££££'s on upgrades just for one game as all the other stuff like CS, BF3, Quake etc seem to work fine.

Well thanks for all the help peeps, have fun, and look out for those darned creepers :D

Ahhh right .. ok, well if thats all the flaming I'm going to get then I consider myself as having got off lightly ;D

as for machine specs ... blimey .. really? ... hmm not sure what to do about that then because some of the machines that turn up here are truly awesome! one of the guys just bought a £1,800 pure gaming machine and that suffers the same as my old clunk box even when we run a dedicated server.

Oh well, it's a shame as we all really enjoyed Tekkit but it's looking like a return to vanilla minecraft then :(, can't really see many of the guys spending ££££'s on upgrades just for one game as all the other stuff like CS, BF3, Quake etc seem to work fine.

Well thanks for all the help peeps, have fun, and look out for those darned creepers :D

Hmm, might be just your lan then. Do you have at least 100m lan? Also, [me=Synthetica]flames this tread[/me]

hello again, yes we have a 10/100 base lan running through a 24 port 3Com SuperStack II router and a netgear 2000 for the wireless guys, all seem to be working fine.

I'm just reading something on another forum with regards to some setup scripts in the Tekkit program that may ned adjusting so could be of use, though its currently soaring miles and miles above my head I'm not giving up yet ;)

My gut feeling from the symptoms is that some sort of memory buffer is filling up and not overflowing or something of that nature <shrug> don't know really, clutching at straws I guess but will keep at it for a while yet, I feel the mod is worth a little more effort.

Also ...... flameproof underwear seems to be working well ;0D

Sorry if this is mentioned in original post but which computer is it HOSTED on and what are said computers specs? (my attention kinda vanished while reading)

Yea, the point this guy is getting at.

I know the load that a Tekkit server puts on the hosting computer is a lot heavier than your regular unmodded game, especially when you get into the awesome bits like running pipes every which way. With your group of regular players, I'd bet that everyone's making really fun and cool stuff, but all of the calculation and animations and everything will start taxing the server itself pretty quickly.

Hope you get it all figured out and running smoothly. The Tekkit pack is awesome, and that you're getting all this put together for the neighborhood kids is amazing!

“Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?” does happen now and then even on powerful enough servers just as long things are getting loaded.

For instance, 12 people playing you say ? For instance if all 12 of them are exploring at the same time, tries to open up their own chunks at the same time lags might happen.

And another thing..... CELERON ? You kidding me ? Fair enough that I used to have it, but thats ... . so damn many years ago.

a real CPU costs about 100 bucks, yeah its "a lot" to some, but most people still can afford it, even kids getting cash from their parents.

((...hey, keeps em off the streets right? ( and if you've been in the UK recently you'll know, the last place you want your kids, or their friends, is on the streets right now believe me!!))

I Just find it kinda unbelievable that a server that can handle all the latest stream / steam games with multi-players, multi-layers, graphics accelerators, PvP, voip, direct comms, level balancing, video streaming, etc etc .... can't handle tekkit minecraft??? .. sorry but it's just not possible ... so, I go back to my initial inquiry .... and this is where all you clever people come in ..

what have i done wrong / not adjusted / forgotten to click / missed ... in converting the vanilla Minecraft server that, remember, works perfectly ok, to the TEKKIT server, that doesn't?

It has to be a simple code adjustment ... now then, remember my * system? go back and read *1, then approach the problem from that angle and I'm 99% certain that at least one of you will have that "slap the forehead" moment .. you know the one, usually goes something like .... " offs .. duh .. fecin eedjits, all they have to do is ......"

Yep thats the level I'm talkin about ......... !!!

I wont type anymore as it will just cause more folks to lose the will to live .................... ;0)

((...hey, keeps em off the streets right? ( and if you've been in the UK recently you'll know, the last place you want your kids, or their friends, is on the streets right now believe me!!))

I Just find it kinda unbelievable that a server that can handle all the latest stream / steam games with multi-players, multi-layers, graphics accelerators, PvP, voip, direct comms, level balancing, video streaming, etc etc .... can't handle tekkit minecraft??? .. sorry but it's just not possible ... so, I go back to my initial inquiry .... and this is where all you clever people come in ..

what have i done wrong / not adjusted / forgotten to click / missed ... in converting the vanilla Minecraft server that, remember, works perfectly ok, to the TEKKIT server, that doesn't?

It has to be a simple code adjustment ... now then, remember my * system? go back and read *1, then approach the problem from that angle and I'm 99% certain that at least one of you will have that "slap the forehead" moment .. you know the one, usually goes something like .... " offs .. duh .. fecin eedjits, all they have to do is ......"

Yep thats the level I'm talkin about ......... !!!

I wont type anymore as it will just cause more folks to lose the will to live .................... ;0)

Its not really anything anyone can do ... Tekkit server takes a true beast of a machine to run without lag, even professionally hosted servers will bog down when everyone starts building and sending items thru pipes.

You could try and disable some of the mods till you get a set up that works with less lag. That is the only thing i can think of to try and make it more playable.

Thanks Grindle, will bear that in mind!

Oh and to those sending me PM's about joining their online servers, PLEASE read *2, it was included FOR A REASON .............

see? I b****y told ya, would you listen HK? oh no, so now who's the feekin eedjit newbe?....

Thanks Grindle, will bear that in mind!

Oh and to those sending me PM's about joining their online servers, PLEASE read *2, it was included FOR A REASON .............

see? I b****y told ya, would you listen HK? oh no, so now who's the feekin eedjit newbe?....

The quality of your posting seems to have degraded pretty quickly.

agreed, cheapshot, but back to the task at hand:

tekkit servers are THE most taxing gaming server possible. insane amounts of simulation, paired with minecraft's already inefficient server chunk loading, and you get a PC melting, ridiculously taxing server. sorry, but yo uare going to need to SERIOUSLY upgrade you processor to run without lag.

OP, I read your initial post and scanned the thread in order to save my brain from hurting too much. it looks like you've been asked at least once so far for the the server specs but have yet to provide them.

if you are so certain that the specs cannot be the issue, post them. if you are right, we can move on to trying to find the real problem. if you are wrong we will let you know very quickly. also, in the future please try to speak like a real person. for being the "dad" you write like an ADHD 10 year old. thanks.

edit: all this is assuming that the "average machine specs" you posted are not indicative of the server itself and instead are the specs of the an average client PC trying to use said server.