[1.4.7/1.5.1]MageCraft - Alpha 0.3.2

Markarthian

Welcome to The official MagCraft thread! This mod is a continuation of MageCraft and still very much work in progress, it was originally created and sadly abandoned bij GreenWolf 13. LazDude13 and I are both working on the mod (Nitus is helping out with the models and Ysharma with the textures).

MageCraft is about wizardry, and a lot of it too. If you're familiar with the mods Ars Magica, Equivalent Exchange 2&3, ThaumCraft 2&3 and you like those, you're in for a treat. This mod will be a like a mix of those mods with a lot of other content added.

These are a couple of the original ideas of GreenWolf13 for MageCraft. We've got a lot of ideas as well, but if you have an idea: throw it at us anyway. Very much appreciated!

Crafting Recipes and Design Documents can be found here: http://pastebin.com/SaYrpWyJ and here: http://pastebin.com/h3NQLKfH

Downloads

1.4.7 build: here

1.5.1 build: here

Licence/permissions

This mod is licensed under GNU Lesser General Public License. If you want to know more about what that means you should look it up, but here's the basic gist.

• you have the right to have access the source code of the mod,
  • you have the right to be able to edit/use parts (or all) of the source code provided that you provide proper credit to the original authour(s),
  • you have the right to distribute the source code and/or compiled versions of the source code
  • you have the right to use this mod in Lets Plays/YouTube videos however you see fit (monetization, for fun, etc) as long as you provide credit to the original authour(s)(a link back to this thread for example)
  • you have the right to use this in modpacks however you see fit.

All works here copyright Markarthian & LazDude2012, unless otherwise stated in the source files.

Source Code

All source code for MageCraft is available on my Github. Feel free to contribute ideas, art, sounds, and code to the repo, as we are always open to ideas and submissions from you guys; just understand that we reserve the right to decline certain things at our discretion (they don't fit our vision for the mod, poor quality, offensive, etc)

Known Bugs and Issues

In the latest version are no bugs issues, as far as I could find. report them here if you do find em!

The code available on the Github repo for you guys is BROKEN! Don't use it!

Credits

• GreenWolf13, for creating the original mod, and inspiring us.
  • Nitus, Those models! :D
  • Ysharma, your textures <3
  • You guys, keep those ideas, suggestions and all that good stuff coming! We need you!

I will most likely the most active of the two to reply to this thread, as LazDude is a way better coder than me, he shouldn't be wasting time on the forums :P (just kidding Laz)

I won't check the old thread anymore, here should be all the discussion about MageCraft.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here are all of the models I made for the creatures with names and stats (up to discution):

Name: Ravager;

Speed: As fast as the player;

Spawning: Spawns on packs of 5;

Damage: Each hit will deal 1 heart of damage;

Effects: Will slow down the player for 10 seconds.

tickeye.png

Name: Up to dialogue;

Speed: As fast as the player;

Spawning: Spawns on a pack of 3 in holes;

Damage: Each hit will deal 1 and a half hearts of damage;

Effects: Will poison the player for at least 5 seconds.

antlionwithtexture2.png

Name: Tunneler;

Speed: Normal mob speed;

Spawning: Spawns alone;

Damage: Each hit will deal 3 and a half hearts of damage;

Habilities: Can punch holes in anything in order to get to the player.

guardianwithtextures1.png

Name: Demon;

Speed: As fast as the player on air;

Spawning: Spawns in packs of 5;

Damage: Each hit will deal 2 hearts of damage;

Effects: Will drain the health of the player for 5 seconds.

demon.PNG

demon2.png

That looks almost like the monkey's from the wizard of Oz. Interesting!

I'm gonna reply here now, with what I just wrote on the original thread since I didn't know you made a new one. You should ask someone to close that one up and put a link to this one up!

Are essences being kept and the same to the Multiblock chest / Arcane Engine? Also the pearwood? (It'd be just as good if you didn't add it but it doesn't matter.)

Also, I have this cool idea about plants but I'll tell you later. I have to flesh it out more.

That looks almost like the monkey's from the wizard of Oz. Interesting!

I'm gonna reply here now, with what I just wrote on the original thread since I didn't know you made a new one. You should ask someone to close that one up and put a link to this one up!

Are essences being kept and the same to the Multiblock chest / Arcane Engine? Also the pearwood? (It'd be just as good if you didn't add it but it doesn't matter.)

Also, I have this cool idea about plants but I'll tell you later. I have to flesh it out more.

Yup! As it stands, that's not too high on the priority list, but they will definitely be added.

The last change (which was never published) GreenWolf implemented was a complete change to the essence system: instead of two essences that can form into almost anything, a few types of essences that can only form certain types of items. What do you guys think about that?

Ok so I thought about this for the Corrupt Overworld's look. Following the idea of GreenWolf's Liquid Essence, I would like to have corrup liquid essence to be in the Corrupt Overworld. For you to be able to use the corrupt liquid essence you would have to find an item that would transform it. You would eventually find it in some ruins that would be habitated by a mob (W.I.P). The world has tons of holes from which mobs can come from. This is not the full world, it's still up to expand. Opinions about this?

You mean like the aspects in TC3?

More like Ars Magica's essences, but yeah.

Ok so I thought about this for the Corrupt Overworld's look. Following the idea of GreenWolf's Liquid Essence, I would like to have corrup liquid essence to be in the Corrupt Overworld. For you to be able to use the corrupt liquid essence you would have to find an item that would transform it. You would eventually find it in some ruins that would be habitated by a mob (W.I.P). The world has tons of holes from which mobs can come from. This is not the full world, it's still up to expand. Opinions about this?
liquid essence will not be a thing that you can find in the world, you'll have to create it. The other parts sound cool!

I'm not sure what you mean Mark. I'm an idiot, EXPLAIIIIIN?

I wonder if you should implement a corrupted type of each essence, and you need a pump, then some sort of refinery to make it more useable. But then again, a corrupted essence could be useful for darker magiks.

Anyone else remember the big final battle in the 80's movie Willow? Where the queen is fighting with the good witch over the wand and they zap random things, including the clam shell tripod thing that springs to life and attacks Willow?

That thing was cool looking, and the idea of uncontrolled magic making furniture springing to monstrous life and attacking you is a pretty cool one, huh?

Anyone else remember the big final battle in the 80's movie Willow? Where the queen is fighting with the good witch over the wand and they zap random things, including the clam shell tripod thing that springs to life and attacks Willow?

That thing was cool looking, and the idea of uncontrolled magic making furniture springing to monstrous life and attacking you is a pretty cool one, huh?

Maybe when amulets and items like those are almost broken, its effects just become uncontrolable at random times.

liquid essence will not be a thing that you can find in the world, you'll have to create it. The other parts sound cool!

What about some kind of liquid that acts like lava and sucks you down to the bottom. I can make some kind of mob to live on it.

I'm not sure what you mean Mark. I'm an idiot, EXPLAIIIIIN?

I wonder if you should implement a corrupted type of each essence, and you need a pump, then some sort of refinery to make it more useable. But then again, a corrupted essence could be useful for darker magiks.

What do you need EXTERMINA.. uhm explained?

Yes, there will be corrupted essences, but no counterparts to all of the essences, that would be a bit much.

Maybe when amulets and items like those are almost broken, its effects just become uncontrolable at random times.

What about some kind of liquid that acts like lava and sucks you down to the bottom. I can make some kind of mob to live on it.

That could be cool, very hard to code though...

About the special liquid, I don't there should be any liquid at all there. It is a barren death hole... It wouldn't really fit in.

I've had an idea for the corrupt dimension. It's a little bit different from the current plan, but I think it would turn out pretty nicely, although it might involve more work.

How about the corrupt dimension is sort of made up of abandoned Aztec-style pyramid ruins, and the only "outside" is courtyards and areas where the walls have fallen in etc.. I think it could turn out

pretty nicely if you did it right - it would make it seem like it used to be colonized, but the previous occupants perished when the corruption took over. Now all that's left is the endless ruins of their civilization and the creatures of the corruption.

The dragon could spawn at the peak of every large pyramid.

I am thinking of Corrupted essences being white with black specks.

But I do like the idea of Corrupted Essence being used for Dark Magic.

And I don't like the idea of a dragon boss, myself. Maybe a large golem?

I love Prolo's idea too!

I've had an idea for the corrupt dimension. It's a little bit different from the current plan, but I think it would turn out pretty nicely, although it might involve more work.

How about the corrupt dimension is sort of made up of abandoned Aztec-style pyramid ruins, and the only "outside" is courtyards and areas where the walls have fallen in etc.. I think it could turn out

pretty nicely if you did it right - it would make it seem like it used to be colonized, but the previous occupants perished when the corruption took over. Now all that's left is the endless ruins of their civilization and the creatures of the corruption.

The dragon could spawn at the peak of every large pyramid.

That would involve quite some work yeah, and I need to think about that, because it is really different from the ideas in my head..

Functionally identical to utility mobs like snowmen. Just use a different trigger mechanic that seeks out the nearest block of a certain set.

How do you mean? I was talking about the random, uncontrollable effects when the item is low on durability.

I am thinking of Corrupted essences being white with black specks.

But I do like the idea of Corrupted Essence being used for Dark Magic.

And I don't like the idea of a dragon boss, myself. Maybe a large golem?

I love Prolo's idea too!

Nothing is set in stone yet... Throw me ideas and I'll consider 'em.

I am finishing up build 0.3.2 for Minecraft 1.5.1 YAY!, still no textures (get on it Ysh :P) and nothing new. There's a lot coming in future updates though! the download should be up quick enough.

The main effort would be working out how to create world gen structures, then making a system to connect them up. It seems like a lot, but once you have the rooms and the way to generate them together set up it shouldn't be hard.

I have no idea how hard that is to do though :P

How do you mean? I was talking about the random, uncontrollable effects when the item is low on durability.

Misunderstood.

Still not that hard though. You can run ticks on itemstacks (IC2's solar helmet and nanosaber, thaumcraft's recharging wands), so all you have to do is have it check damage values against a threshold and do your random stuff from that.

YAY!

Is it basically the same as 1.4.7?

yup

The main effort would be working out how to create world gen structures, then making a system to connect them up. It seems like a lot, but once you have the rooms and the way to generate them together set up it shouldn't be hard.

I have no idea how hard that is to do though :P

It shouldn't be, (if it is I'll nick the code from someone else and fork it :P) it is a lot of effort though ;)

Misunderstood.

Still not that hard though. You can run ticks on itemstacks (IC2's solar helmet and nanosaber, thaumcraft's recharging wands), so all you have to do is have it check damage values against a threshold and do your random stuff from that.

Oh right, I'll look at their code to see how to.

I was thinking about this, could he make a way of using the xp levels to transform them into essence?

Should be possible, but I don't think that will be implemented that way, if it gets implemented.

Wait I know Im redoing the alchemical catalyst, and making second version of the essence, but I thought everything else was fine?

I know, I am just eager to push this build so I can get on adding content :D

Oh my god... My MCP won't recompile... why do you let me down at the simplest part of all?? Oh well, no download yet guys -.- gotta figure out this problem...