Bring back IC2 and Redpower 2

IR_Matt

This thread sure ended up way better than it started.

EDIT: And to contribute to the derail, did you know that coil power plants put out the most radiation of any type of power plant? It's true!

You mean coal?

Yeah, those things spew a lot of crap out. Trace radioisotopes, mercury, a lot of other toxic compounds, and a whole lot of CO2. They've gotten better emissions controls over the years, but not by choice.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuke plants are dangerous because they were designed back in the 50's when they wanted all the weapons grade plutonium they could get (power was really just a byproduct...)

Wikipedia has info for you. Check out pebble bed for a good example of something safe.

That is exactly why we need to invest in building new reactors! Ones that are optimized for power output as appose to weapon grade material . This kills to birds with one stone as better optimized reactors will have a substantially greater power output and also reduces the amount of Plutonium being used in, apocalyptic ways. I support taking over the world but with conventional weaponry. :twisted:

Yes, but in a way that can breed inspiration.

Very true indeed!

That is exactly why we need to invest in building new reactors! Ones that are optimized for power output as appose to weapon grade material . This kills to birds with one stone as better optimized reactors will have a substantially greater power output and also reduces the amount of Plutonium being used in, apocalyptic ways.

The concern with Plutonium (239 at least) is that it's weapons-grade. Period. It's just a question of quantity. On the upside, it's actually a lot harder to make a device with plutonium due to the criticality conditions.

Uranium, on the other hand, is embarrassingly simple to make a device with. Like weekend in a garage easy. The hard part there is the enrichment, where native uranium is 0.8% enriched, reactor-grade is about 4-5% tops (excluding CANDUs, which run on the 0.8% stuff) and weapons grade is...higher.

Meanwhile, there is only one fusion game in town - ITER. And it will work, but realistically, fusion is a ways off and there's a logistical nightmare. The neutron flux produced in a tokamak is ludicrous and materials science hasn't advanced to the point where we can fully address the ablation issues.

(If you haven't noticed, I may know a few things about energy.)

You're not the only one who knows a few things about energy. While the merits of fission are debatable (and has been, at great length), ITER is far from the only game in town when it comes to fusion development. Here's a sampling of recent, concurrent, independent efforts:

EMC2 Fusion

General Fusion

Helion Energy

Lawrenceville Plasma Physics (LLP)

Lockheed-Martin Skunkworks

NASA/Marshall Spaceflight Center & Univ. Alabama, Huntsville

NASA/Johnson Space Center & Electric Power Research Institute

National Ignition Facility (NIF)

Sandia National Laboratories

Tri-alpha Energy

Several different approaches are represented, including multiple different target reactions, energy conversion methods, confinement menthods, etc.

at first i was also missing IC2 and RP2 but this new tekkit has a lot to experiment with, imo no need for them. now will be nice to have another energy mod for end game, maybe something from the UE mods

Don't forget recyclers, nuclear power, solar power, wind power. There also is a lack of building materials, such as bricks, and lamps, as well as a lack of plant options, as it's only vanilla plants now. That's a good half of the things tekkit used to provide an experience for, and now there is of course some really good mods, but it feels like there isn't much else to do, after a certain point. There is no actual tech tree, and there isn't tiers of energy either. All of this combined makes for a very boring mod pack.

So, IC2 and redpower are old and clunky, and are no longer going to be updated. That's all fine and dandy, but what happened here was the baby was thrown out with the bath water. Thermal expansion is a great mod, but it's a mod for one tier of tech. Something needs to be done about this, or it's just not going to take off.

Except that the latest tekkit does have rubber trees for MFR. MFR also adds stained glass, blocks for roads (that have an option to act like a light source) as well as a ton of decorative blocks in various colors. So I don't know where the whining about lack of plants (which wasn't something IC2 or RP2 excelled at.. oh no rubber trees and a source for blue dye and string).

TE adds a nice lighting options that blow anything IC2 or RP2 offered out of the water. Take a look at Glowstone Illuminators. These guys come in four modes: Normal, inverted, scaled, scaled inverted and can be dyed as well.

TE adds a nice lighting options that blow anything IC2 or RP2 offered out of the water. Take a look at Glowstone Illuminators. These guys come in four modes: Normal, inverted, scaled, scaled inverted and can be dyed as well.

Scaled illuminator + MFR rednet + CC (after integration so you can use rednet as a bundled cable) = Ooooooo.

In TE, is there a way to get reliable power without tearing up the landscape/ sucking the nether free of lava? If not, thats a significant advantage on IC2. Also, the miners are way better than the closest comparison, the mining well

MFR has Biofuel. You get it with saplings and seeds.

It's a machine. You put the piece in. It charges. They autoeject too, like basically everything else in TE.

They don't seem to automatically take input from chests, though.

I never understood why people complain that TE only has one "tier" of tech. If you want your furnace to smelt twice as fast, why not just build another one? Multi-machine networks are fun to make and I thought building big was the point of Minecraft.

I never understood why people complain that TE only has one "tier" of tech. If you want your furnace to smelt twice as fast, why not just build another one? Multi-machine networks are fun to make and I thought building big was the point of Minecraft.

Yeah, always thought TE suited Minecraft better than IC2. It's more "tangible", and more practical than IC2. Everything in Minecraft looks makeshift, and so do the TE machines. IC2, not really.

Yeah, always thought TE suited Minecraft better than IC2. It's more "tangible", and more practical than IC2. Everything in Minecraft looks makeshift, and so do the TE machines. IC2, not really.

And IC2's "god-item" isnt all that great, sucks up a ton of power for not many materials

If we're gonna talk about looks, I love that about TE. IC2's art looked really placeholder-y while the textures and designs in TE are actually pretty and colorful. But I liked that about RedPower too.

Dude so many complains out there, New Tekkit has all kinds of things to discover and is a fresh start from old tekkit. True you have to relearn what works best but that's the fun. You can still play old tekkit. MFR, AE, and Steve's carts have a ton of complicated awesome machines. The best part is that it is streamlining the power source and ores in the game, instead of have 3 or more power system all with redundant machines. Plus I dont miss joining a server and a nuke was detonated at spawn. It a good step in the right direction to producing a better product, especially on a donator / volunteer programming system. Good work tekkit developers. Keep these awesome updates coming.,