Power sources

Real Darnok

I have checked all over the forum and on google but I can't find a clear answer for this.

Could you guys tell me what are the power sources in new tekkit and also are there batteries or an alternative for them? All I was able to find is Upgraded battery or something like that (can't remember the proper name) I can't see the actual batteries though and I will need some thing to store power.

At the moment I am using Stirling engines to power all my machines but this requires a lot of maintenance plus it takes a lot of space.

Another thing is that I have been trying to use Stirling engines connected to cables to power everything but the engines do not move at all just heat up -there is no electricity produced unless I'm missing something on the way.

I'm not new to tekkit but all I find online is for Lite or Classic there isn't much for the New one.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are Buildraft engines (redstone [weak], stirling [stronger, requires fuel] and combustion[strongest, requires fuel and water coolant]), biofuel (biofuel reactor turns some biomaterial into liquid biofuel, burnt in a biofuel generator for Buildcraft power) and magmatic engines (turns lava into Buildcraft power).

Batteries have been replaced by Redstone Energy Cells, pump power into those and they'll store it.

Are you using conductive pipes? They're bugged at the moment, and power tends to get "stuck" in them (look for a pipe full of blue stuff). Try breaking them and replacing them. When you've got more resources try redstone conduits. They're not bugged but they're more expensive. Hit the connection between a conduit and something it is connected to with a wrench to change the direction of the blue or orange arrow to control where power flows to/from.

Yeah, calling everything Tekkit X/Y/Z makes it a bit hard to find version specific info in Google.

I have on my moon base sort of the same thing but was not using the bio fuel was turning logs into coal and then into steam engines. So i think i will run this system along with mine. ((If they sort out the Mac Launcher problems)) =P

is there any way to stop the Stirling engines from overheating?

this kind of system could be semi automatic if the engines are not blowing up I guess:

Quarry delivers coal to a chest, red power engine (or just a wooden pipe now I think) takes it to the engines, those produce electricity to power everything plus the quarry itself? would that even work? I guess a plant of Stirling engines would do the trick for the start?

Also is it just me or the steam engines are now called Stirling and the Steam ones are completely different?

Steam engines won't overheat if you attach them to redstone energy conduits, and if you don't and they overload, they will simply stop instead of blowing up. No explosions from TE machinery :P

Steam engines won't overheat if you attach them to redstone energy conduits, and if you don't and they overload, they will simply stop instead of blowing up. No explosions from TE machinery :P

KingLemming is the Anti-Greg.

Quarry delivers coal to a chest, red power engine (or just a wooden pipe now I think) takes it to the engines, those produce electricity to power everything plus the quarry itself? would that even work? I guess a plant of Stirling engines would do the trick for the start?

Also is it just me or the steam engines are now called Stirling and the Steam ones are completely different?

The quarry will never produce enough coal to sustain itself, even with steam engines. Its maximum energy use is 10 MJ/t, which means it'd need to run off 5 Steam engines burning 5 pieces of coal simultaneously.

As for the rebranding of Steam engines to Stirling - the makers of BuildCraft figured (and rightfully so), that an engine that runs purely off burning something cannot be considered a steam engine, there's no water involved anywhere. Meanwhile, a stirling engine can, indeed, operate on one constant heat source (check it up on wikipedia for more explanation) without any water.

The Aqueous Accumulator doesn't require power, It will pump into waterproof pipes as long as there is water around it also it does not consume the water. Stirling engines are pretty terrible, use steam engines with an AA pumping water too them, it is double the energy for not much more cost.

ok cool so we have covered the basic energy source, what about something bigger? The whole point of getting power in the first place is to be able to expand ... what's next then? Magmatic engines? or is there something larger than that?

Biofuel is the most sustainable large scale energy source in the game, im running 1 reactor (makes fuel) and 6 generators, that powers my base 2 ME networks a full speed quarry and a moon base. I keep some steam engines for emergency power, if I run low on fuel for some reason but it will soon be fully automated as well.

do you guys work alone on your projects? I'm really suffering with loneliness :P

love the game but everything takes ages when playing on your own...

thankfully we have quarries to mine for us because it would take much much much MUCH longer

Shoe, you also forgot steam engines, which are like Stirling engines, but they require water and output double the energy from the same fuel source.

Derp, so I did.

are there still atomic reactors in the new tekkit or do I need a mod for it? I think there was a mod called Big Reactors or something like that? Is that still an option?

No reactors for now, the old ones were part of IC2 which isn't in new tekkit. Last time I looked up BigReactors it was still very early stage and incomplete. Hopefully when it is ready the Tekkit guys will think about including it, I really miss the old ones.

Ic2 used its own power system but that is gone now, redpower used to have blutricity but it is also gone, and some other modpacks like Voltz use Universal Electricity. As far as I know all power sources in new tekkit are now BuildCraft producers and all powered machines are BC power compatible. Old habits die hard I guess.

Maybe once Universal Electricity transitions into BuildCraft energy (I've heard talk of that), we will see Atomic Science in Tekkit. Multiblock fission and fusion reactors. Maybe even proper tokamaks eventually.

oh there is one more thing I wanted to ask, you guys mention "buildcrafr power" is there a reason for it? Is there another kind of power not compatible with something within the same game? That wouldn't make much sense would it?

That's the beauty of the current version of Tekkit. It has ONE power system. No longer do you need to mess around with 3-4 different kinds of cables. Well, you still kinda do, because ME networks require cabling, but the point still stands, no longer do you need to worry about converting to and fro between different power systems, trying to figure out conversion rates, accounting for energy losses in transitions etc.

have you guys seen any proper wiki for the new tekkit? except for forums I was not able to find anything that I could refer to. well I can always check recipe within the game but it never sais how do things work - how to put it together or what comes out or comes in where.