Power sources

Real Darnok

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Discord Moderator

FYI the quarry has been buffed since the previous tekkit. It now accepts up to 100mj per tick. So will need 50 steam engines to get max speed. Or 25 magmatics if ferrous isnt an issue. It does run ridiculously fast though :D

The maximum energy consumption of a quarry is just north of 48 MJ/t. The numbers play out something like this:

• At 10 MJ/t the quarry will move at a constant speed without pausing.
  • It takes energy to move the gantry, and to break each block.
  • The quarry consumes 60 MJ for every block it breaks, regardless of gantry speed
  • At the gantry's max speed the quarry will use 32 MJ/t (0.26 blocks/tick)
  • At the gantry's max speed the block breaking will consume a bit over 15 MJ/t

The maximum energy consumption of a quarry is just north of 48 MJ/t. The numbers play out something like this:

• At 10 MJ/t the quarry will move at a constant speed without pausing.
  • It takes energy to move the gantry, and to break each block.
  • The quarry consumes 60 MJ for every block it breaks, regardless of gantry speed
  • At the gantry's max speed the quarry will use 32 MJ/t (0.26 blocks/tick)
  • At the gantry's max speed the block breaking will consume a bit over 15 MJ/t

I was quoting direwolf20, but he was referring to buildcraft for 1.4.7, have things changed again? Or was he incorrect?

Either way, the quarry is a lot faster than it used to be :)

hey guys! just wanted to go back to my setup for a moment, last night I have set up a little steam engine plant, a humble 15 engines connected to the cables filled with liquid red stone then going to the energy cells and then powering everything else.

The problem I have with this is although it works really well and it is enough for my needs, the energy cells have maximum output of 100 MJ and the machines take like 2800 MJ minimum -now I know that this is how much power is stored in the machine not how much they take but each cell stores like 600000 MJ (can't remember how many zeros but a lot) and having 2 should take much longer than it takes now to use up. Now it takes like 15 min. I have only Powered Furnace, liquid transporter, magmatic something (takes A LOT of power 48000 MJ total I think), inertion (or sth like this) smelter and the polvariser (can't remember the spelling of those sorry).

I want to connect a few quarry's to it now and as long as the engines are running it will be fine - not the fastest but still fine.

Is there anything I can do to increase the input and output to more than 100 MJ on each?

I need to switch to stronger engines like magmatic I guess but for now this is really stable - the steam engines are doing a great job btw the only maintenance I have to do is to hit them with a wrench once everything is filled up (never) and 64 coal in each lasts for like 10 h if not more (real time).

what would you suggest please?

Oh one more thing, those liquid red stone cables are REALLY expensive is there anything else I could use? the golden conductive pipes do nothing and if I remember correctly those were the best in the old tekkit (might be wrong though.

that was a long one :P

Golden conductive pipes do work, but if you unload the chunk they're in you have to break and replace them before they'll start working again. I haven't tried placing a world anchor beside them though, I wonder if they would continue to work with one of those around? I agree that redstone conduits are a bit pricey for what they do but apart from the bugged conductive pipes I don't think there's an alternative.

I'm not sure about increasing the output of your cells besides just adding extra cells to the system. It might be better to upgrade from Steam engines to something like fuel or biofuel, if I'm reading the wiki right 15 Steam engines only output 30 MJ/t, which isn't a lot for all of your machines plus a few quarries.

I though that the world anchor isn't there any more, I have been looking for it the other day and could not find it,is it called something else now?

Is magmatic engine better than bio fuel ? If it is, I might go for the big guns and just forget the bio fuel.

Or perhaps bio fuel is more convenient go use?

I think they're called Dimensional Anchors in NEI.

I'm not totally sure what the MJ/t output of biofuel is, some people seem to reckon it is ~15MJ/t at full pace, compared to 4MJ/t for a magmatic engine. The tradeoff is the automated farm you'll need to power it, but then again you'll need a lava pump for magmatics. I'm not totally sure which would be better.

(I've a funny feeling magmatics produce more power in new Tekkit though, but the New Tekkit Wiki doesn't seem to have this kind of info yet.)

Nope. An automated tree farm will get you a heap of sapling to convert to biofuel.

A basic planter will plant in a 3x3 area but this can be expanded with MFR upgrades. Place the planter 1 block down, provide it with power and fill it with saplings. It'll start to plant all its inventory as far as it can. At the edge of the planted area plop down a harvester (with the same range upgrade as the planter), provide it with power, a pipe to pump out the wood, saplings and other drops and ideally a waterproof pipe to pump out the sludge for processing in a sludge boiler (to make sand, clay and soul sand).

That's basically it. To make it fully automated you just need to hook up the planter to a system that will feed some of the harvested saplings into it. The trees grow pretty fast so if you use a big enough area you'll likely produce more saplings and wood than you'll need.

machines take like 2800 MJ minimum -now I know that this is how much power is stored in the machine not how much they take but each cell stores like 600000 MJ

That's the internal buffer. They don't require that much power, and most only run on something like 4MJ/t at full speed. The actual power usage of each machine is shown in the GUI, in the top-right tab. Once the internal buffers are filled, only the power usage will be used in the machinery, so your power drain will drop dramatically. If you can input enough power, the 100MJ output should be fine for at least one quarry on top easily, perhaps two.

You'll need a system which moves biomaterial into a Bioreactor. This makes a purple liquid which, when pumped into a Biofuel Generator, makes MJ.

The biomaterials seem to be a bit funny. Tree saplings, raw potatoes (not baked), carrots, and seeds definitely work. I've heard that apples and cactus green (but not cactus itself) work, Wheat, meat of any kind and slimeballs doon't seem to work. It's really a case of trial and error.

Use the MFR machines: one popular version is a patch of dirt with a planter underneath it. Fill the planter with oak saplings: when powered it'll plant them in the dirt automatically. If you then plonk a harvester beside this dirt patch it'll automatically cut down any trees which grow and pump them into a pipe. You then need a pipe system which sends some of the saplings to the planter for replanting and some to the bioreactor. You can do what you like with the wood and apples (send the apples to the reactor as well maybe?).

There are a few good youtube videos showing these, take a look and see if they're worth the effort.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Dark grey lakes are sludge, brown are sewage, black are oil. I don't think I've ever seen a yellow one. The only liquids I can think of that are yellow are fuel, rocket fuel and liquidized glowstone, but it can't be that because it flows up.