EA GAMES - Spore Chat. "No longer about API's sorry. My bad."

Tbone

Re: Could this remove the need for a Technic pack?

Hmm, wouldn't a spore mod for MC be a nice idea?

Something along the lines of "mocreatures meets breeding meets forestry bee genetics"...

Don't know if that's technically possible though, I don't know shit about modding.

that is not possible with the minecraft engine, it would require TOTAL rewrite of every single mob code. and then it would turn into BTW with incompatibility, and eventually become incompatible with minecraft.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is not possible with the minecraft engine, it would require TOTAL rewrite of every single mob code. and then it would turn into BTW with incompatibility, and eventually become incompatible with minecraft.

And that would be called a total conversion mod. I'm sure there's room in the "market" even for those.

What an intriguing idea.

Eh, not really. All you'd have to do is subclass the entities, and the only base code you'd need to change would be the lines that actually spawn the creatures.

Eh, not really. All you'd have to do is subclass the entities, and the only base code you'd need to change would be the lines that actually spawn the creatures.

you sure? in order to create more realistic mob AI and breeding, wouldn't that require rewriting of all of the pathfinding AIs, and breeding code? then you would need an extra code for preserving genetics, and i doubt that could be written into a separate file considering the way it would need to hook onto files. and then you would also need to rewrite the mob breeding ENTIRELY, so that it allows for different genectics and mutations, without adding a separate mob for every mutation/gene combo.

on the spore thing:

GTFO, EA. It would have been EASILY possible to allow for both creative and gameplay aspects of the game. Simply have a toggle when starting a new game: "Would you like the game to be Creative or Hardcore?", and just have it explain what both options are. Creative would how spore is in it's current state, just with less cartoony of graphics, and Hardcore would game the game that spore should have been. and in order to have creatures that were made for creative not be invading your hardcore save via sporepedia, there could be a flag that allows you to set whether the creature was made for creative or hardcore, and hardcore and creative creatures could end up in creative saves, but only hardcore creatures would end up in hardcore saves.

Another reason for the modpack to keep existing is that I highly doubt mojang comes up with good enough API to allow stuff like NEI item groups to Just Work, adding all the axe-like tools to treecapitator or making BC miner to dig up all the better-than-cobblestone stuff (though last I looked it still ignored bunch of stuff in technic). In a modpack those configuration changes can be made manually and thus have a properly working modset.

I highly doubt whatever API happens wont have the ability to patch out things like two mods both having their own copper and tin ores.

Back to spore. I would kill to play a development version of spore, before it got cartooned up and generally overhauled to target kids. I still wake up at night in a cold sweat craving the game I saw in development videos. Spore was the biggest let down I've ever seen video game wise. I can only assume if I was actually waiting for Duke Nukem Forever I'd say differently, but honestly who was actually surprised about that one. Can't be let down if you expect nothing. Spore dashed everyone's hopes quite effectively.

:pcgaming:Fuck EA forever. :pcgaming:

Darkspore was rather nice, though. I'm waiting to get it in a Steam firesale since it looks really repetitive, but the game itself is quality if played in moderation.

I played the Darkspore Beta when it first came out. The editor was really fun, but the levels themselves were extremely repetitive. Ugg.

Why do you talk badly about Spore? I have the galactic edition right here on my desk.

EDITION, not adventures. Its the deluxe edition.

It was the same price. :(

It's probably not so bad if you didn't follow the development. They spent ages in development and showed us what it looked like constantly. It was looking like a masterpiece until suddenly EA stepped in and we lost contact, then finished product BAM googly eyes and rubbery necks and bouncy cartoon butts farts and hoots and breakdancing pizza time. They cut out whole parts of the game and cartooned the shit out of it, more then probably because the original idea was to have a lot of evolution simulation, with heaps of realism. You can't market that to kids, and you can't dare piss off creationists. Thus an amazing game was murdered, and then they put the disfigured corpse in a wacky costume and threw it in a bouncy castle full of kids. Wee!

It's probably not so bad if you didn't follow the development. They spent ages in development and showed us what it looked like constantly. It was looking like a masterpiece until suddenly EA stepped in and we lost contact, then finished product BAM googly eyes and rubbery necks and bouncy cartoon butts farts and hoots and breakdancing pizza time. They cut out whole parts of the game and cartooned the shit out of it, more then probably because the original idea was to have a lot of evolution simulation, with heaps of realism. You can't market that to kids, and you can't dare piss off creationists. Thus an amazing game was murdered, and then they put the disfigured corpse in a wacky costume and threw it in a bouncy castle full of kids. Wee!

Kind of what happened to "Epic Mickey". All this hype, all this promise (you should have read the Game Informer article about it; very nice), and then somebody said "oh shit, we might piss of soccer moms in Oklahoma" and boom. Watered-down shitsoup.

No, because no matter how easy the mod installation process might become, there will always be derps out there who screw it up.

This ... and I wouldnt rely on the new Mc modding api ... im pessimistic about it.

Kind of what happened to "Epic Mickey". All this hype, all this promise (you should have read the Game Informer article about it; very nice), and then somebody said "oh shit, we might piss of soccer moms in Oklahoma" and boom. Watered-down shitsoup.

Part of the problem is the people, not the devs. about 20 years ago, a kid could break his arm in school, and the parents go, "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING TO BREAK YOUR ARM?!?!!?" Now, a kid breaks his arm in school, and the parents go, "WHY WEREN'T YOU BEING WATCHED? I AM GOING TO FUCKING SUE THAT SHITTY SCHOOL!" People are so easily offended and quick to sue. it is so sad.

Part of the problem is the people, not the devs. about 20 years ago, a kid could break his arm in school, and the parents go, "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING TO BREAK YOUR ARM?!?!!?" Now, a kid breaks his arm in school, and the parents go, "WHY WEREN'T YOU BEING WATCHED? I AM GOING TO FUCKING SUE THAT SHITTY SCHOOL!" People are so easily offended and quick to sue. it is so sad.

Yes, I actually have a personal anecdote matching that.

When I was in middle school, we had a geology teacher who was also a bus driver, so he took us on our field trips. (Saved the school money because they paid him once to both teach and drive, and we got to do whatever we wanted for however long we wanted.) He had a tendency to conduct what he called "air-brake tests". When he announced an air-brake test, you had right around ten seconds to put your ass in a seat, or else you were on the floor.

Well, he did one, and the kid was all whiney about it, and we mostly ignored him. Apparently he went home to his parents and complained, because the next day he was all sulky. I asked him what his parents said, and he said, "They told me don't stand up on the bus anymore."

I miss those days.

Darkspore was rather nice, though. I'm waiting to get it in a Steam firesale since it looks really repetitive, but the game itself is quality if played in moderation.

I've actually had a /lot/ of fun with Darkspore. Diablo style loot, good mob verity with buff modifyers that as you get further make some really hard fights, and good difficulty ramp. Throw in a few dozern diffrent spore creatures and that your level was loot based letting you swap and try new things with the auto-blancing for group and I had a /LOT/ of fun.

Gets more fun as you go too, as you get more customisation options (gem thingy slots, unique weapon stats) the mobs get more modifyers (regen, +1 life on creatures that are hard to damage? Occassionaly actualy LOST once or twice. Some of the most fun I've had.)

My only complaint with the game was that you had to beat the levels in order to unlock higher ones, making multiplay less desireable at times.

I highly doubt whatever API happens wont have the ability to patch out things like two mods both having their own copper and tin ores.

Back to spore. I would kill to play a development version of spore, before it got cartooned up and generally overhauled to target kids. I still wake up at night in a cold sweat craving the game I saw in development videos. Spore was the biggest let down I've ever seen video game wise. I can only assume if I was actually waiting for Duke Nukem Forever I'd say differently, but honestly who was actually surprised about that one. Can't be let down if you expect nothing. Spore dashed everyone's hopes quite effectively.

:pcgaming:Fuck EA forever. :pcgaming:

Never been more disappointed then with Spore. Had some fun with it sure, but it wasn't the game I wanted, it was buggy, thin on content (stages scrapped, small number of parts, no plant ditor access, all clearly designed to sell 'extra expansions')

Spore was doomed from the start. Its just a mishmash of stolen ideas and game concepts. Granted a well executed and nice looking mishmash at that but it could never have been good. Just like Notch, Will Wright has done his great masterpiece of his life and will spend the rest of his life in in the shadow of his own creation.

Spore was doomed from the start. Its just a mishmash of stolen ideas and game concepts. Granted a well executed and nice looking mishmash at that but it could never have been good. Just like Notch, Will Wright has done his great masterpiece of his life and will spend the rest of his life in in the shadow of his own creation.

I....don't agree? I think it could have easily been amazing before that final stage of "now lets give it to the marketing team". I would pay far more then I should for copies of spore in development.

I....don't agree? I think it could have easily been amazing before that final stage of "now lets give it to the marketing team". I would pay far more then I should for copies of spore in development.

Perhaps if they made each of the first stages longer. Doesn't change the fact that every stage was just ripped straight from existing games like Flow. I expect more from Will Wright.

Theres rarely any original ideas. Everything you've ever thought of has at some time been thought of by someone else. It's just a matter of who does said idea best.

Flow was a fun game....Spore was on a different level, and would have turned out much better if they'd let the guy do his thing.