EA GAMES - Spore Chat. "No longer about API's sorry. My bad."

Tbone

Hi.

I don´t know if this has been answered before, but i saw this interview of Jeb where he talkes about a new mod api and browsing the mods.

Is it possible that this also will fix the problem with multiple Item ID´s, and therefor make Technic pack redundant?

It is asked at 2:00

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Could this remove the need for a Technic pack?

Hi.

I don´t know if this has been answered before, but i saw this interview of Jeb where he talkes about a new mod api and browsing the mods.

Is it possible that this also will fix the problem with multiple Item ID´s, and therefor make Technic pack redundant?

It is asked at 2:00

I don't think so, but we will see.

Another issue is standardization. The mod API, even if it works exactly perfectly, will result in everyone having totally different minecraft installs, and the benefit of modpacks will become the standardization of the install so that everyone can play on the same server.

Not to mention no modding API they come up with (even if Eloraam helps) is going to satisfy everyone. It simply can't. In order to satisfy everyone, you'd need to put hooks before and after every single function, you'd have to structure the executable so you can insert a custom classloader to replace methods, you'd have to make every member in every class public for modification...

...and then you have to somehow get your modding API to make everything compatible with everything else that's making these changes?

No.

Modding APIs work in other games because they are so limited, and because it's too difficult to modify the base game. Notch actually made a grievous error using Java, because you can literally override anything. (You can actually use reflection to modify a private static final member of a class. Not even fucking joking here.)

The Minecraft community is too used to being able to do anything anywhere at any time. We have pipe-transport systems, my-little-ponies, and gods-be-damned PORTAL GUNS. We will never be satisfied with less ever again.

So basically...the modding API, whenever it comes out, will actually be ignored by a lot of the community. When it happens, come back to this thread, and tell me how right I was.

here is the thing about the API: it will allow better compatibility. could you imagine being able to chain ridiculous combos of mods? (Aether + Explosives+ + portal gun + clay soldiers + redpower + ic2 + buildcraft)

here is the thing about the API: it will allow better compatibility. could you imagine being able to chain ridiculous combos of mods? (Aether + Explosives+ + portal gun + clay soldiers + redpower + ic2 + buildcraft)

I suspect the API promises to do that just like EA assured us spore would be good.

I suspect the API promises to do that just like EA assured us spore would be good.

haha, agreed, EA intervened too much with that. if they just let Will Wright do his thing, that game would have been BEAST. have you ever seen any pre-alpha footage of it? much darker, aquatic stage, far more Will Wrightish, but then EA came and said "DERP, MAKES IT MOAR CARTOONY SOZ THAT KIDZ WUL PLAYZ IT!" that was the point where i knew it was going to be a average game at best. and it turned out to be lackluster for a Will Wright. there is a couple of references in the game thought that indicate that Will still had some say in it, as one of the mouth parts is named "Skexybeast", which it is pretty obvious what that is a reference to.

If they released the Spore game we saw in that e3 demo, I would /still/ buy it.

The API might make some simple mods easier to integrate, but I suspect anything involving getting mods to play nice with each other is going to be a no.

Did you know that at one point they were considering putting trainers on the animals in the creature stage? Yep, shoes.

Also, glad to know that I'm not the only one who complains about Spore still.

if they did, that would be PURE EA BULLSHIT. Will Wright produces quality, fun to play games on his own. The only thing that ever made me interested in spore was that Will Wright made it. EA is another story. in EVERY SINGLE MAXIS GAME SINCE, they have intervened and turned it to shit. Fuck off, EA.

Internet rumor has it they did the same thing to ME3, explaining a lot of the inexplicable choices and general displeasure it caused. But rejoice, their stock prices are tanking, hopefully meaning that they're finally getting bitchslapped by investors and consumers for the long list of dick moves they've made in the past few years. In fact I think some financial analyst or magazine or something ranked them the most hated company in the country this year. It's pretty tough to rank hate as high as Goldman Sachs and Haliburton as a video game company, so that's saying something. Change or die is the apparent message.

Internet rumor has it they did the same thing to ME3, explaining a lot of the inexplicable choices and general displeasure it caused. But rejoice, their stock prices are tanking, hopefully meaning that they're finally getting bitchslapped by investors and consumers for the long list of dick moves they've made in the past few years. In fact I think some financial analyst or magazine or something ranked them the most hated company in the country this year. It's pretty tough to rank hate as high as Goldman Sachs and Haliburton as a video game company, so that's saying something. Change or die is the apparent message.

Stock doesn't mean much in the long run. Like it or not, EA will be around for a long, long time.

sorry, what game is ME3?

EDIT: Derp: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ME3&l=1

shy.gif

i liked spore

Except for the damn space stage. Well with the space commander or w/e, it make it a little bit more fun, but meh.

EA should rot in hell for all I care. And yeah, E3 version > the actual version

no no no there will still be peaple who 1 want a vanilla jar and a modded jar without effecting there worlds 2 there still be peaple who dont know or cant unzip mod files so this would be the next best beacuse it does everything for you

shy.gif

i liked spore

Oh, I enjoyed it to a degree... But I suspect the game we wanted (namely the one they showed at the E3 demo, without the rediculious DRM and with a better working content sharer on launch), would of been /so/ much better.

Even those of us who enjoyed it are angry for those kind of things.

Hmm, wouldn't a spore mod for MC be a nice idea?

Something along the lines of "mocreatures meets breeding meets forestry bee genetics"...

Don't know if that's technically possible though, I don't know shit about modding.