powering machinery

crusaderkvw

hey there people :D

i'm kinda new to this new tekkit and i just recently decided to give this new(and much better) tekkit a try, now i have my base setup with food supply and a decent supply of ores. now I have a few problems:

1. I don't know how to start with all those mods -_-(they look AWESOME btw)

2. i tried powering a pulverizer with redstone engines from Buildcraft but i can't get the engines to turn and/or work.

3. does anyone know a good and up-to-date tutortail video serie's??

and just to be clear: I did look on youtube for those tutortials but I couldn't find them.

thanks in advance,

a fellow minecraft fan :D

For your second question, I'm not sure if redstone engines can power a pulverizer but maybe. I haven't tried it. You can try the way I did it if you'd like. I built a Steam Dynamo in the beginning with an Aqueous Accumulator underneath it to keep the Steam Dynamo filled with water. Make sure the Aqueous Accumulator has water source blocks on two of it's sides. The Steam Dynamo runs off fuels such as wood or coal. You can either wire the dynamo directly to your machines using Leadstone Energy Conduits or after you get the resources to make a Leadstone Energy Cell, you can wire the Steam Dynamo to the Leadstone Energy Cell and then have the energy cell wired to your machines.

alright well... atleast thank you for the reply but all of that is gibberish for me at this point.... i'm now trying to make a pump system to start pumping up some lava and/or oil.... altough i can't seem to find the waterproof pipes in NEI.... or are they outdated? and if so: what do i use now?

Redstone Engines are too weak for just about everything. You want dynamos, starting with the steam dynamo. They burn most solid fuels and need cooling, but just right-clicking them with water buckets will do for a start.

As soon as you have a few pieces of copper, tin, iron, lead, redstone and gold, go and craft yourself a leadstone energy cell to buffer that energy, and a few conduits to transport it. You will also want a crescent hammer, which is the primary wrench. Next up is an Aqueous Accumulator to auto-pump that cooling water, and a few Fluiducts to carry it.

If you have access to large amounts of lava, Magmatic Dynamos are the easiest generators, as they are the only ones which do not require any cooling. But lava is usually not plentiful in early game.

I am just throwing you these names so you can look them up on the wiki. If you got all this, you have a good base for further experiments. Half the fun is finding out, so enjoy.

P.S.: Use Fluiducts to carry liquids. The Buildcraft pipes will also work, but are much more varied and complicated. For the start, an Aqueous Accumulator is what you want for water, but it does only that. Later in game, the Buildcraft pump will serve for other liquids.

Edited by Curunir

hey curunir, thanks for replying :D much appreciated. yeah you're right: i should look up the stuf myself hahaha, so thanks for the names. thought about making an aqueous accumulator before so :P. so let me just make quick overvieuw of the information you gave me:

dynamo's are the way to go for power gen. early game, steam dynamo is the first to build for that. this burns solid fuels(like coal????) and needs water cooling. wich can be initially done by right-clicking with water bucket(in wich case the water goes in and you get a empty bucket back???) then to buffer/store that energy i need a leadstone energy cell and conduits(do these have a name?). primary wrench is a crescent hammer. aqueous accumulator is good for auto-pumping the water into the dynamo and fluiducts to carry that water from A to B. i actually do have acces to lava(underground but still plenty of lava :P) so i might consider making a magmatic dynamo instead. and can't i just go to the BC pump right away??? i actually alreaddy have it. or is the BC pump not compatible with the fluiducts???

i appologize for the many many questions and the possible grammer mistakes(i'm dutch so english isn't my native tongue) and i do hope that you are willing to answer those few questions aswell.

Crusader

this burns solid fuels(like coal????)

Coal, charcoal, wood, etc. Pretty much the same fuels as you'd use in a stirling engine from Buildcraft.

conduits(do these have a name?)

Leadstone conduits, hardened conduits, and redstone conduits, in order of maximum energy transfer (from lowest to highest).

so i might consider making a magmatic dynamo instead.

Do note that magmatic dynamos require invar to build, which is made using pulverized iron and ferrous; even if you have access to lava, you'll still need to power a pulverizer in order to get the pulverized metal to make the magmatics.

and can't i just go to the BC pump right away??? i actually alreaddy have it. or is the BC pump not compatible with the fluiducts???

The Buildcraft pump is compatible with fluiducts, but the Aqueous Accumulator does not require power and, as far as I can tell, is faster than the pump.

Applied Energistics adds the manual grinder, so if you REALLY want to, you could grind ferrous and iron with that to get invar blend, and then smelt it in a vanilla furnace.

My understanding also, is that sometimes,  even over a supposedly infinite 3x3x1 pool of a water, a BC pump can still pump the wrong source block too fast, and drain the pool. Also, the Aqueous Accumulator is supposed to be easier on servers since there is no source blocks being replenished, so no block updates, etc.

The Buldcraft pump works fine, it is just a hassle to set it up for water, when the Accumulator does the same job much better. You want the Buildcraft pump for lava, oil and other liquids, because the Accumulator only pumps water.

When bucketing manually, you nearly always get the empty bucket back.

As another note: make sure to put water source blocks on all 4 of the side faces of the accumulator. You can also stick the dynamo right above it, just make sure to set the side that is touching the accumulator to input(blue). Actually the best start would be to get familiar with the thermal expansion configuration and redstone setting tabs. An extremely simple and automated battery is to just have an accumulator below a steam dynamo, have the dynamo connected to a leadstone energy cell, and connect that cell to a MFR planter, harvester, and TE sawmill. Use itemducts, opaque are easier to make and just as good, to connect the harvester to the planter,sawmill, and any kind of storage you have if you want to save excess saplings/wood. Attaching pneumatic servos to itemducts can set filters on what they accept. have the planter only accept saplings. Route all the wood into the sawmill, which will produce planks and a byproduct, depending on the type of wood you are harvesting. Pipe the planks directly into the steam dynamo, and some storage if you want to save some. You also want to pipe out the secondary item as well, since the sawmill will shut down if its secondary output slot is full. Either stick it in some form of storage, or pipe it straight into an extra utilities trash can. Once setup, if done right, this setup needs nothing else, and is able to power your basic machines(pulverizer, redstone furnace, induction smelter) fairly easily.

As another note: make sure to put water source blocks on all 4 of the side faces of the accumulator. You can also stick the dynamo right above it, just make sure to set the side that is touching the accumulator to input(blue). Actually the best start would be to get familiar with the thermal expansion configuration and redstone setting tabs. An extremely simple and automated battery is to just have an accumulator below a steam dynamo, have the dynamo connected to a leadstone energy cell, and connect that cell to a MFR planter, harvester, and TE sawmill. Use itemducts, opaque are easier to make and just as good, to connect the harvester to the planter,sawmill, and any kind of storage you have if you want to save excess saplings/wood. Attaching pneumatic servos to itemducts can set filters on what they accept. have the planter only accept saplings. Route all the wood into the sawmill, which will produce planks and a byproduct, depending on the type of wood you are harvesting. Pipe the planks directly into the steam dynamo, and some storage if you want to save some. You also want to pipe out the secondary item as well, since the sawmill will shut down if its secondary output slot is full. Either stick it in some form of storage, or pipe it straight into an extra utilities trash can. Once setup, if done right, this setup needs nothing else, and is able to power your basic machines(pulverizer, redstone furnace, induction smelter) fairly easily.

so i looked up some of the items i would need and i'm going to name some: leadstone energy cell, harvester. especially these 2 items require invar and/or other more advanced later stage stuff wich i'm actually trying to get with all of this. now please... i asked for some info and a way to start... don't let me even try and start with stuf that needs invar :P :P.

alright guys.. i know that this is my third post within the last couple of hours but i jsut wanted to thank you all again :D. i got a basic setup of aquas accumulator-----> steam dynamo------> pulverizer and its all working :D.

now i do have a question: how do i get those itemducts to work??? they just won't work for me and thus for the time being i'm using transport pipes from BC. i guess iron pipes would be best to start with with just a single gold pipe at the start??

You need to use a crescent hammer to actually set the itemducts to extraction mode- that is, the arrow on the connection ring is red and points from the machine/chest/etc to the pipes. If it's connected to the output face of a TE machine, the machine will automatically output into the itemducts, but if it's attached to something like a chest, you'll need to supply a redstone signal.

You can also attach a pneumatic servo for more advanced options, like item filtering and redstone controls.

alright thanks valkon. i'm just going to stick with the transport pipes here for a few moments. i'm soooo glad i got this thing working thanks to you guys :D.

now i do have some uranium ore in my chests.... how dangerous is it to hold it??? and just to see what would happen i trew it into the pulverizer and got yellow cake.. now i looked it up and it seems i can get radation poisening from it.... but how likely would that be by holding ore in your inventory/hand and the same question for that yellow cake stuf???

p.s. is it possible to power a BC quarry with the steam dynamo energy???

Edited by crusaderkvw

p.s. is it possible to power a BC quarry with the steam dynamo energy???

sure, if you use the conduits to connect the power, they convert the energy on the fly (from RF to MJ)

tip: you can also connect a couple of dynamos to the same cable (I suggest you switch to the hardened cables as soon as possible, as the transport 400 RF/t (you can upgrade your existing leadstone cables)

don't built too many hardened cables, as you can't upgrade them to the highest tier (as far as I know)

sure, if you use the conduits to connect the power, they convert the energy on the fly (from RF to MJ)

tip: you can also connect a couple of dynamos to the same cable (I suggest you switch to the hardened cables as soon as possible, as the transport 400 RF/t (you can upgrade your existing leadstone cables)

don't built too many hardened cables, as you can't upgrade them to the highest tier (as far as I know)

alright thanks :D. currently 1 dynamo is enough for me hahaha... altough it really eats through my coal/charcoal supply. is there any list where you can see how much each fuel will keep the dynamo fueled???

Using Itemducts is highly recommended, have a look at the TE3 wiki here to see how they work.

Powering a BC quarry is easily done with any kind of dynamo, as long as the actual connection to the quarry is via conduit (TE conduits will output the right kind of energy, depending on what machine is attached). However, the quarry requires lots of energy to even start, so you'll need multiple dynamos. Also be prepared for blocks spouting out of the top of the quarry, so put a chest or pipes there. The quarry is among the few machines that will not work with itemducts. But you can use a chest and run itemducts from that chest.

You are on the right path. The quarry will eventually mine all the resources you need for the next steps. Make sure to place some water blocks along the edge to create "waterfalls" into the hole as it gets deeper, so the lava will immediately turn into obsidian. The quarry will stop at lava, but mine obsidian without even slowing down.

P.S.: About fuel, I find it easiest to chop lots of wood early and make charcoal to power the steam dynamos. Most efficient with the huge jungle trees (saplings need to be placed in a 2x2 square), because treecapitator will get them chopped quickly. Make sure to replant as you chop.

Once you have some portable tanks and a pump, gathering and refining oil for fuel becomes the preferred energy source. As all liquid fuels, this goes into the compression dynamo. Alternatively, you can opt to build a small Yellorium reactor at this point.

Edited by Curunir

don't really know, I just built a treefarm using MFR Harvester and Planter and later I built an ME network to automatically burn the wood to characoal.

At this point I didn't bother any more about the steam dynamos eating my characoal :)

tip: you can fill the steam dynamos using an ME-Network (the AE Mod is really excellent when it comes to storage systems, you can also integrate your Deep Storage Units using Storage buses)

Edit:

When it comes to connecting a quarry I use such a setup:

06.png

Edited by HeatHunter

haha, yeah that goes abit too fast for me :D.

I do have alot of yellorium at this moment :P i mined every ore i could find in the many many caves around my house(really really big caves that is) and thus i now have several stacks of yellorium.

thanks for that link btw :D.

about the quarry: i use normal transport pipes to transport to chest A wich is very close to the machine itself and from there on i can start using the ducts right?? so lets say a setup like this:

transport pipes                                    itemducts

Quarry-------------------> chest 3 blocks away--------------> large chest storage system

thats what i understand from what you said Curunir. I have been using the tree farm aswell and just recently started to plant jungle trees due to the lack of said trees in my neighberhood :P(using large biomes here). I jsut recently also finnaly found some cactus to start a farm for the cactus green for pipe isolation for the construction of fluid pipes(BC) but i'm now well aware that the ducts are better in every way so that has been a useless search :P. Thanks again for all the info :D

p.s. Curunir, would you mind if i added you as friend on these forums? just so i can pm you incase i want to ask something???

Edited by crusaderkvw

hey there people, i think i stumbled upon a bug or something.... i got my pulverizer setup now for 2 days and all of the sudden it just stops working.... when i manually put aluminium ore from GC in it it doesn't even want to pulverize this.... altough i just the pulverizer to pulverize tin ore for me... any knows if this is a bug or an actual feature in tekkit(pulverizer wont pulverize aluminium ore)??

edit: i just confirmed that other ores still do pulverize so its just the aluminium ore.

Edited by crusaderkvw