power production mid game to late game

crusaderkvw

hey there guys,

i have been using my yellorium reactor now ever since begining on my world, but now that i have advanced into the redstone energy conduit part it seems like it that my reactor just can't hold up with the power drain(laser drill) how do you guys have your power setups for this mid to late game transfer phase?

I'm powering 4 lasers with my reactor atm. but sized it to power a maximum of 25-27 lasers...

so how does it work?

simple, make it actively cooled and hook up turbines to it ;)

I'm producing a little bit more than 20kRF/t per turbine and using 1770mb/t steam for it. The reactor can produce a maximum of 50B/t (50000mb/t) of steam.

You'll have to use liquid transfer nodes with full upgrades to pump water into your reactor (as fluiducts can't handle the flow rate).

Then I'm using tesseracts to get the steam to the turbines.

So I rather call the yellorium reactors to be useful even in endgame setups :)

One laser gives your around 600-700 refined metal ores/day and alot of all the others. 25 lasers gives alot more. Next misson for you is to find a way to put all that ores to use from your lasers without tossing any of them away throu a void pipe or somethig like that. :)

hmm hard task...

i could automate minimum stones, convert these into diamonds, then make diamond blocks and then make singularitys ot of it (this might be a pretty good ressource sink ^^)

but like I said, it's just sized to support that many lasers, I'm not running them atm ^^

Edit:

ahh yeah, thing is... i'm not as far as them tesseracts yet haha. but i'll look into it :D. working with limited space though.. might have to take the reactor outside my base for this haha :D.

you can also attach a turbine directly to the reactor, you'll have to finish the turbine from inside the reactor then ;)

PS: always use some kind of coolant inside the reactor, I for myself prefer resonant ender, just because I'm lazy...

Edited by HeatHunter

About finishing Turbines from inside the Reactor: If you switch to the 1.2.10 beta, it should be possible to set Turbine ports before the Turbine is finished, so you don't have to climb into the Reactor any more for that. That is at least what I read on the BigReactors changelog.

There may still be issues with 1.2.10, so switch at your own risk, and make sure to have a backup to fall back to.

i saw this great vid on making actively cooled reactors with turbines a 2 weeks ago.. can't seem to find it anymore -_-.

anyway: is going for a second AE reactor worth the trouble? or should i just go with upgrading mine into a active cooled one?

upgrading is fine, but be sure to have backup power in place, at least to power your me-network (if you use AE)

as soon as you break 1 block of the reactor, the power wents off immediatly ;)

also for bigReactors it seems the bigger they are, the more efficient they run, so you migth also want to upgrade your reactor and make it a bit larger...

i saw this great vid on making actively cooled reactors with turbines a 2 weeks ago.. can't seem to find it anymore -_-.

here's the best vid i've seen on the topic: 

And tesseracts really aren't that hard.  all you really need is shiny - 2 shiny makes 2 tesseracts, and then you're set.  (of course, I'd prefer to use my first 4 shiny on a jetpack instead of tesseracts, as that makes getting additional shiny very easy)

I think that with a sufficiently large and efficient regular (=passively cooled) Yellorium Reactor, you can power enough laser drills to never run out of Yellorium, even without applying Foci. The task becomes trivial, apart from the assembling, when using Turbines (=actively cooled), but it should even be possible without them. Maybe you'll need to reprocess the Cyanite to Blutonium for 50% fuel recuperation, but it might be worth a try if you don't want to use Turbines for some reason. If you do plan on using Turbines, don't reprocess the Cyanite. You will need lots of it to build them.

I think at some point, Blutonium is supposed to get different attributes than Yellorium. As of now, it behaves exactly the same.

And tesseracts really aren't that hard.  all you really need is shiny - 2 shiny makes 2 tesseracts, and then you're set.  (of course, I'd prefer to use my first 4 shiny on a jetpack instead of tesseracts, as that makes getting additional shiny very easy)

how does using a jetpack make it so that you can get shiny easily?

I think that with a sufficiently large and efficient regular (=passively cooled) Yellorium Reactor, you can power enough laser drills to never run out of Yellorium, even without applying Foci. The task becomes trivial, apart from the assembling, when using Turbines (=actively cooled), but it should even be possible without them. Maybe you'll need to reprocess the Cyanite to Blutonium for 50% fuel recuperation, but it might be worth a try if you don't want to use Turbines for some reason. If you do plan on using Turbines, don't reprocess the Cyanite. You will need lots of it to build them.

I think at some point, Blutonium is supposed to get different attributes than Yellorium. As of now, it behaves exactly the same.

i tested some reactor(passive) setup with like 12 rods(3 high) and it still doesnt fill up the buffer. so i hardly doubt that a passively cooled reactor is suffient to power a laser drill(with 4 chargers) hooked up to redstone energy conduits.

My passively cooled reactor (9x9x15) is more than enough to power two laser drills with all prechargers... It has 119 rods... Scale it up and you'll see the result.

As for the jetpack.. it's mainly helpful in the quarry pit - when there are minerals in the walls besides the quick transport aspect.

Edited by bochen415

Crusader, your reactor setup was too small and inefficient. Do note that increasing height will usually improve reactivity/fertility more than adding more (short) rods. Maximum size is 32x32x48 by default, so you are not even remotely close to anything that deserves the "Big" from the mod's name. A Max-sized Big Reactor in passive mode will power many, many Prechargers. The hard thing will be finding a setup that keeps temperature manageable, and shovelling enough Yellorium into it.

You need not go maximum, of course. My own project >The Core produced enough power for two Laser Drill sets when running in passive mode for testing. With the Turbines of course, it drives four sets. And that is with just five columns stacked 46 blocks high = 230 rod blocks.

@Kotja

The best coil material is Enderium, yes. Jakalth did a comparison once.

I recommend not using the transfer nodes, unless you particularly like them. If you want to use a grid of Accumulators, I recommend maxing out Fluiduct capacity and hooking those Fluiducts up to different sides of a receiving Tesseract. You should be able to max out four Fluiducts easily, although you'll have to calculate the exact number of Accumulators required.

P.S.: I believe the connection between Jetpack and Shiny Metal goes like this: Fly around the Nether with the Jetpack to harvest copious amounts of Nether Redstone, and also Ferrous and Platinum when you find it. Pulverize the Platinum, smelt the Nether Redstone for Redstone Ore, pulverize the latter for Cinnabar, then induction-smelt Ferrous Ore with Cinnabar.

You can achieve the same results by quarrying the Nether, but some people are builders, and others are adventurers. There are many roads to success.

Edited by Curunir

Note that each laser precharger needs 5,000 RF/t, and redstone conduit can only carry 10,000 RF/t. So you need at least 2 power taps on your reactor or turbine to power a full laser drill with 4 prechargers (both sources can go through different sides of a single tesseract). And at the prechargers you need at least 2 separate redstone conduits (at least 1 for each pair).

Once I built a turbine that output over 20,000 RF/t (4 ender coils, 70 blades) I experimented with reactors to see how small a reactor could fully power the turbine and what I came up with was a 7x7 reactor with just 1 layer of 7 fuel rods packed together with diamond blocks in the 2 unoccupied corners surrounded by resonant ender. I use a rednet PRC to pulse the reactor off when temperature goes over a set limit (temperature less than limit OR square wave [timer]) AND a stick switch when I want to turn it on. That results in smoother operation than simply kicking it out on temperature (control rods 0%). This small reactor can output 1860+ mB/t steam most of the time, but only 1710 mB/t is needed to sustain over 20,000 RF/t. Steam supply and water return are internal, so I only needed 4 aqueous accumulators.

The reactor and turbine images:

turbine-reactor.png

turbine-reactor-side.png

turbine-reactor-back.png

turbine-display.png

The 7x7x22 passively cooled reactor to the left, which can fully power 4 prechargers, is 5 cores x 20 blocks high in '+' pattern with diamond blocks in corners surrounded by reasonant ender. The passively cooled reactor uses a yellowrium ingot in about 5-1/2 minutes, the actively cooled reactor runs about 20 minutes per ingot. So the turbine is much more efficient. The CC computer feeds the turbine 1860 mB/t steam until it hits 1800 rpm, then backs off to 1710 mB/t (it just monitors reactor fuel/case temperature). CC program

Note that machines, ME, etc. in the pocket dimension are normally powered by by 6 biofuel generators fed by endertank above the Quantum Bridge. The reactors are only used for laser drilling. Golden door keeps the pocket dimension loaded. This is on SMP server, no cheating.

how does using a jetpack make it so that you can get shiny easily?

you can just fly around the nether and pick up all the nether redstone you need.  nether redstone -> redstone block -> cinnabar + ferrous (which you should really have plenty of) = shiny

@Kotja

The best coil material is Enderium, yes. Jakalth did a comparison once.

I recommend not using the transfer nodes, unless you particularly like them. If you want to use a grid of Accumulators, I recommend maxing out Fluiduct capacity and hooking those Fluiducts up to different sides of a receiving Tesseract. You should be able to max out four Fluiducts easily, although you'll have to calculate the exact number of Accumulators required.

are there any reasons against the transfer nodes? (besides that the upgrades take a lot materials)

There is no need for high volumes of added water if you recycle the water from the turbine(s). That and 4 Aqueous Accumulators through 1 liquiduct to reactor was all I needed for a 20K+ RF/t turbine.

It is just a little tricky to recycle the water internally directly to an adjacent reactor, because you currently cannot change direction of turbine fluid ports to outlet unless the turbine is complete, so that has to be done from inside the reactor. The first time I tried that I failed. Steam got directly from reactor to turbine, but water did not get back to reactor. So initially I had to use tesseracts directly on external turbine fluid outlet port and to reactor fluid inlet port. But while playing around with reactor layouts, I did get it right later with both steam supply and water return direct internal. So now the tesseract on the turbine is just used with multiple power taps to supply the laser drill. No tesseract on the reactor (fuel supply handled by ME precision export bus/redstone port and fuel waste handled by ME Interface block). My setup is shown in spoiler in first page of this topic.

With BigReactors 0.33A, which is included in the 1.2.10 beta, you can configure a Turbine Fluid Port even on a non-finished Turbine. No Reactor-climbing any more.