Proof.

TheGuy

Origin. They'll build you a PC that will BLOW YOUR MIND for about half the price of an equal build from the competition. Plus, the name is so cool. Origin. Who wouldn't hand them a couple grand?

Isn't Origin the name of EA's shitty steam-clone thing?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might but assuming you bought the PC at same time as the GPU then your box is horribly unbalanced for gaming by having very slow GPU compared to the rest of the system.

Disregarding stuff like SSD and monitor, for a gaming PC the GPU should cost at least one third of the whole thing.

One thing has to be said. Alienware does not worth its price. Build your PC mate or find someone that will do it for you. You can save up to 50% i built my PC one year ago and it cost me about $650 i can play any game on the market with 60+ and mostly high and medium details, i get 70-80 FPS on Minecraft. My PC is better than any alienware, probably similar to the ones for $2000.

Falcon Northwest will charge you about 1-2 grand more than the exact same computer from Origin. Just a heads up.

true. but I didn't mean to include them in that list. I meant only to post the links to companies with custom case stuff.

they do have good machines and awesome customer service though.

The machine I have now is

Core 2 Quad Q9650

8 GB of Vengeance DDR3 1066

Radeon HD 6850

Intel DP43BF motherboard

Antec 1200 case

Antec CP850 PSU

total cost: 350-400

This is a perfectly acceptable mid range machine for a perfectly acceptable mid range price. All because I shopped around and found deals on stuff. 'Cept the board. That was donated by a friend.

The machine I have now is

Core 2 Quad Q9650

8 GB of Vengeance DDR3 1066

Radeon HD 6850

Intel DP43BF motherboard

Antec 1200 case

Antec CP850 PSU

total cost: 350-400

This is a perfectly acceptable mid range machine for a perfectly acceptable mid range price. All because I shopped around and found deals on stuff. 'Cept the board. That was donated by a friend.

Holy SHIT!

Double the RAM, and you've got a nice machine there! :o

Can you play Portal 2?

HERE IT IS!

PROOF WHY I WANT MY ALIENWARE! (Fuck the price :D)

I'll be honest, I haven't read through all the pages regardless of their merits.

I will, however point out something I hope at least 10 people have pointed out thus far, (most) modern Alienware computers are just overpriced Dell computers using crap components (no offense intended to those who actually paid for them).

I highly suggest you build your own (desktop) or buy a solid gaming laptop that meets your needs (I like the new ASUS that actually cares about the number one problem with laptops, heat dissipation).

Edit: never mind. I didn't realize this thread was almost a month old so by now most have probably pitched their two cents.

Well, yeah.

I took flames, suggestions and compliments from everywhere (heavy on the flame), heheh.

Well, if you can link me to it, i'll be happy.

Be aware, I want at least 16gb of RAM and a good cpu.

>:D

Well, yeah.

I took flames, suggestions and compliments from everywhere (heavy on the flame), heheh.

Unless you're running a hell of a server 16Gb is more than any normal computer would need (unless you're running specific types of software) but regardless, all specs depend on needs and budget. If your budget is unlimited, I can drop a 32Gb RAM, top CPU, duel PSU, and quad SLI or dual Crossfire 3970 or something similar (and something like phase change cooling) on you but dream machines aside, all builds depend on how much you're willing to spend, what you need it for, how long you plan to keep it for, and how much you want to upgrade it in the future before you rebuild from scratch.

Holy SHIT!

Double the RAM, and you've got a nice machine there! :o

Can you play Portal 2?

the board is stable but kinda old. 8 is it's max. Plus, that's really all anyone needs. 16GB is overkill unless I plan to serve files/games with it. When I build my fragbox/HTPC, I'll upgrade the board and RAM and make this box my NAS but until then, I think I'm good for awhile.

yes, I could easily play portal 2.

See, now I have no idea what a PSU is or an SLI..

I'm crap at hardware, but good at software. :)

PSU = Power Supply Unit

SLI = Scaleable Link Interface. Allows you to connect more than one of the same type of GPU for increased graphics processing power.

Well, yeah.

If you're just playing games, you don't need 16GB of RAM. Windows can only utilize so much address space regardless of the CPU/OS architecture. The only possible reason for needing 16 would be for at least 4G of RAM disk.

Well, I just want a laptop (emphasis on laptop) that can play epic games like Portal 2, Minecraft (Extreme render dist with fancy and GLSL shaders working at 100+ FPS and tons of other grafx mods), Terraria, StarForge etc.

And I want a damn laptop, idc about the price since I have the whole summer working at 20 bucks an hour! (Easy job as well, technician. All I do is sit around until a computer crisis occurs).

Well, I just want a laptop (emphasis on laptop) that can play epic games like Portal 2, Minecraft (Extreme render dist with fancy and GLSL shaders working at 100+ FPS and tons of other grafx mods), Terraria, StarForge etc.

And I want a damn laptop, idc about the price since I have the whole summer working at 20 bucks an hour! (Easy job as well, technician. All I do is sit around until a computer crisis occurs).

The new Asus G75 looks promising and I have 2 friends in the service that are elated with their G74s and use them as desktop replacements for gaming on deployment. If you have the cash to blow, you could also go to the serious custom builders that essentially build enthusiast-level gaming laptops. They battle it out on specs constantly so I can't even tell you which one to check out but Origin PC is one I've looked at in the past (Falcon too).

In short, I'm not a big laptop fan because you pay a nice premium to shrink that power down which brings me to my main point; the more tech you squeeze in there, the hotter it's going to get.

Regardless of the laptop you go with, make sure that its cooling system is your number one consideration (what's the point of playing your favorite game at super graphics if your computer locks after 15m of intense heat). Check if people have modified the model you're thinking about purchasing to increase its heat dissipation and check the design to see how the company is battling the heat. If it gets hot, it gets useless for gaming very quickly.

I wonder if I can stick some water cooling in there... Heheh..

I guess it won't be very nice if I drop it, so that's a no-no. I could buy a cooling mat, with a great fucking fan to cool the shit down.

Any suggestions? (Water cooling?)

I wonder if I can stick some water cooling in there... Heheh..

I guess it won't be very nice if I drop it, so that's a no-no. I could buy a cooling mat, with a great fucking fan to cool the shit down.

Any suggestions? (Water cooling?)

I've done many custom cooling solution and all I can say is:

water cooling on a laptop is possible but unless you plan to extend the thickness of your laptop, it'll only be good on docks with quick connectors. Cooling mats with great fans will word only if there are sufficient air intake where the air cooler blows in (the bottom). My girl's laptop (G72, I think) sucked until we took the bottom panel off which increased the airflow about 500% because of her cooling pad. Unless you find a crazy builder or are proficient yourself in modding and water cooling, don't hold your breath for a laptop water cooling solution; however, you can get good cooling solutions on laptops designed to allow certain modifications or by chopping some parts apart and muscling it.

• 1 month later...

I personally love my Asus G74. Got a free upgrade to 16gb ram from the 12gb standard package they had where I ordered it. I recommend it as a good laptop for just about anything with a 560ti-M gpu. Only downside is it's a mobile gpu and it uses proprietary drivers from ASUS. So being able to play beta's and what not might not work so easily specially when they are using beta drivers. I had that issue with BF3. Yet somehow I was still able to get it going. Don't get the 3D model, waste of money that could be spent toward a better gpu in it.

As for the cooling, I know mine doesn't have an issue at all with heat. the 74 and 75 have pretty damn good cooling stock. Sadly there's no compatible docking station yet unless you build your own. I don't see the need in a cooling pad for the 74 cause its cool enough as is. 6 hours of playing some high end graphics games and was still cool to the touch!