Stained Glass mod

gotyaoi

Yes, you could do this. Because of the way rendering see-through things works in minecraft (whatever color is in front overrides all see through colors behind it) such a pane would tint things black when looked through from one direction and red when looked through from the other. Unfortunately, the colors would always be on the same side relative to north, unless you did some tricky things with the rendering.

For my panes, I was able to discard one of the squares because unlike normal rendering, which is only visible from one side, alpha (see-through) rendering is visible from both. This could be a problem with the two color glass, as if the two planes that make up the textures occupy the same space, you get z-fighting and it looks bad. Thus, you would need to separate the two planes slightly.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you could do this. Because of the way rendering see-through things works in minecraft (whatever color is in front overrides all see through colors behind it) such a pane would tint things black when looked through from one direction and red when looked through from the other. Unfortunately, the colors would always be on the same side relative to north, unless you did some tricky things with the rendering.

For my panes, I was able to discard one of the squares because unlike normal rendering, which is only visible from one side, alpha (see-through) rendering is visible from both. This could be a problem with the two color glass, as if the two planes that make up the textures occupy the same space, you get z-fighting and it looks bad. Thus, you would need to separate the two planes slightly.

Sounds like a pain...

Sweet, finally my dream of having a hot pink ceiling letting in the light for my farm will be a reality!

Kidding aside this is great. I like being able to make more artsy stuff in my worlds. Thanks for the work in making this mod.

Considering his new avatar, I'm almost scared to find out what this machine will be that he's cooking up; It's possible it will be fueled by ground-up baby animals and the tears of people who don't backup their worlds.

Zebrin, glad you like it. Post some pictures if you make anything awesome.

jakj, while I didn't have that idea before... huehuehuehue. Anyway, work is proceding on learning about container blocks and suchlike. Fun fact: in order to make a block with an inventory, you need a block class, a container class, a gui class and a tile entity class. And they're all sort of tangled up at various points. I've got the source to atomicstryker's advanced machines open in one tab and my project in another, which is helping a bunch.

You should look at the source to my Fair Trade thing, too. I had created a new set of classes that abstracted away a lot of the hoops Minecraft itself jumps through, and I even had started work on an easy way to do animation or state-sensitivity in GUIs.

Maybe when 1.3 comes out, I'll go back to it...hmm. Depends on if the community outside of Technic has had its balls drop by then or not.

Considering his new avatar, I'm almost scared to find out what this machine will be that he's cooking up; It's possible it will be fueled by ground-up baby animals and the tears of people who don't backup their worlds.

This is a Pink Glass Ceiling. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of Pink Glass, it is Banded with diamond blocks. On the Pink Glass Ceiling is a figure of Steve and Testificates. The Testificates are burning, The Steve is Laughing. This Pink glass ceiling depicts the Pillaging and burning of the Testificate village on day 3.

i have another problem i think i put it in right but when i go to craft it i put in the glass and a dye and then for a split second i see the coloured glass in the craftable box in the workbench and then it is gone and also when i try to spawn any it it logs me out and says internal server erorr

I am back! from a week in the mountains! It was quite refreshing. Anyway, the next release will at least support vanilla server. I've no idea at the moment how to make it a bukkit mod, but the thought is in my head.

Ok, so I've got my glass furnace pretty much working, which means a release is probably soon. I'm just having trouble finding if there's a way to have my block conditionally emit light without using 2 block ids. All the notch blocks that do this use two (furnace, redstone lamp/repeater/torch) except, apparently, redstone wire. Odd...

As near as I can tell, all blocks in the world are sort of a reference to the one declared in Block.java, with things like metadata and such being stored separately, so changing the light level for one block sort of does it to all of them.

I got it. It's slightly stupid and hackish, but it works and it only uses the one block id. I had to override Block.getLightValue() for my block (made it conditional rather than array lookup) and then manually call worldObj.updateAllLightTypes(x,y,z) from my tileEntity when I needed it (since updating metadata doesn't normally call that while updating the block does) and it worked. I'm going to test a bit more, but I'll probably post something soon.