HV solar panel factory

The problem I ran into was rate-limiting steps where you're chaining one ACT to another, like the production of RE-batteries and machine blocks as part of creating generators. Since you can't stop the ACT from creating its outputs if the destination is full, it doesn't matter if you have chests or buffers or whatever between them and the generator assembler as they'll eventually fill up and start spilling on the ground. About all I could figure out was to mess with the timers to try and deliver the parts at as close to the same rate as possible, but it's a very fine balancing act, and even a slight difference in timing will cause one route to start backing up.

I haven't really finished my factory, though. It uses condensers to get the raw materials and assembles basic panels, but I still don't have a good EMC source for the condensers (I just drop in some red matter now and then), and it's missing the final ->LV->MV->HV assembly phase.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I ran into was rate-limiting steps where you're chaining one ACT to another, like the production of RE-batteries and machine blocks as part of creating generators. Since you can't stop the ACT from creating its outputs if the destination is full, it doesn't matter if you have chests or buffers or whatever between them and the generator assembler as they'll eventually fill up and start spilling on the ground. About all I could figure out was to mess with the timers to try and deliver the parts at as close to the same rate as possible, but it's a very fine balancing act, and even a slight difference in timing will cause one route to start backing up.

I haven't really finished my factory, though. It uses condensers to get the raw materials and assembles basic panels, but I still don't have a good EMC source for the condensers (I just drop in some red matter now and then), and it's missing the final ->LV->MV->HV assembly phase.

Yeah that's why I had planned to use computercraft, that was the only way I could think of to get the timing exactly right. With cc-controlled rp2-retrievers feeding into chests next to the ACTs it should be possible, as with cc you could time-shift the differnt steps of the production. But it would still be a lot of work to get it right...

I never came around to try it, as my system worked fine for 32 normal panels at a time, which was enough for me...

I used Advanced Insertion Pipes with a loop-back to a chest... This way it kept looping the stuff around until it was needed.

• 6 months later...

I was messing around with the idea when I found this post. I have calculated the EMC values for every component using extractors for resin and cobble stone + Iron to make iron furnace for generators (This is the most EMC efficient way to make them) These values are to make the solar planels themselves. NOT the other components.

Coal: 479 732

Glass: 9 216

Copper: 1 697 280

Resin: 319 488

Iron: 7 864 320

Cobble Stone: 24 576

Redstone: 1 179 648

Tin: 3 145 782

Again, These are the EMC values to make the number of solar panels for one HV. NOT to make the other components. Those should be easy to calculate of even just make your self. I am currently trying to figure out how to distribute the EMC in the right proportions and have had no luck as of now. If you can figure how to do that it will be easy to make the factory. I would think that BC distribution pipes might be the way to go but with numbers this high, I don't know if it could be done. Best of luck!

Filters + pneumatic tube and you're done. No need for special timings or whatever. Pneumatic pipes can't overflow and if one crafting table has an higher output than the following crafting table can handle, the items just aren't send out from the previous filter. It is super easy. All you have to worry about is putting crafting table/collectors that create items you need several times next to each other, so that you have an overview if you want to change something later. (this is not just bla bla, i build an full automated hv solar panel factory myself, 1 hv panel each 9 minutes)

Another possibility is to go with an on-demand factory, one in which production is controlled by need, instead of a factory where crafting is controlled by the input of raw materials.

I have a video tutorial of my on-demand design (which happens to make solar panels) on YouTube:

To craft recipies that require multiples of non-stacking items, like the HV Transformer, you do need to do things differently—which is not covered in this video—but this can get you up to MV Solar Arays easily.

The raw materials can be created any way you like: EE if you've got it, or using UU Matter if you don't. (My preference.) The pervious video in my series covers a redpower sorting and storage facility that goes well with this factory, but is not required for its operation. The next video is just a bonus machine I made.

I already have. That server went down though unfortunately. I was running at around 1 HV per 30-40 minutes. You need 2 separate systems. One for solar panels, and another for Transformers. You can seed EMC via the sorting machine equally across all your seed Condensers. Personally i use diamond blocks. If i could show you i would but like i said, its gone. It took a couple days of work and lots of thinkin but its sure as hell possible. Try it, you might enjoy the challenge.

RP2 Pneumatic Tubes are great for anything complicated like this.

The real question is why bother When you can make a very simple machine that generators Generators with EE. then use EE to generate charcoal and have massive furnace rooms- these rooms look very cool and generate non-stop day and night. Industry with magic is wacky.

This is solvable through the use of triggers. Utilize redstone BC pipes to trigger upstream components. IE to produce module B requires module A. At the outlet of crafting B place a redstone pipe that will trigger a redstone signal upon module B passing through. Use this red stone signal to activate a retriever via a timer set to the duration to pull the exact number of components to build module A enough time to satisfy the production of another module B. This sequence is then indefinitly on hold until the next module B passes through the redstone pipe. This effectively mitigates backlog issues for the RE battery component.

EDIT: Since retrievers can pull configurable stacks of items in a single pulse this method scales very efficiently.

This is solvable through the use of triggers. Utilize redstone BC pipes to trigger upstream components. IE to produce module B requires module A. At the outlet of crafting B place a redstone pipe that will trigger a redstone signal upon module B passing through. Use this red stone signal to activate a retriever via a timer set to the duration to pull the exact number of components to build module A enough time to satisfy the production of another module B. This sequence is then indefinitly on hold until the next module B passes through the redstone pipe. This effectively mitigates backlog issues for the RE battery component.

EDIT: Since retrievers can pull configurable stacks of items in a single pulse this method scales very efficiently.

Do you do it that complicated just because you want to try it the most complicated way or why don'T you just use filters and pneumatic tubes?

Filters + pneumatic tube and you're done. No need for special timings or whatever. Pneumatic pipes can't overflow and if one crafting table has an higher output than the following crafting table can handle, the items just aren't send out from the previous filter. It is super easy. All you have to worry about is putting crafting table/collectors that create items you need several times next to each other, so that you have an overview if you want to change something later. (this is not just bla bla, i build an full automated hv solar panel factory myself, 1 hv panel each 9 minutes)

That not the issue. With that method There are a lot of wasted materials and EMC. The goal is to make a factory 100% efficient i.e. NO waste products.

I have been continuing to design my factory and have figured out how to do this with NO waste materials. My only problem now is waste EMC. It is difficult to distribute the EMC so that the right proportions go to the right condensers. This way you describe it makes for an awful lot of waste products.

The way I do that, is with a sorting machine that distributes whatever your source of EMC is (diamonds, diamond blocks, whatever) to all the condensers. You need to make multiple tiers though otherwise your low cost things (resin, glass, furnaces) get way too much. My middle tier sorting machine only pushes down one block and the rest it sends back to the main sorting machines

That not the issue. With that method There are a lot of wasted materials and EMC. The goal is to make a factory 100% efficient i.e. NO waste products.

I have been continuing to design my factory and have figured out how to do this with NO waste materials. My only problem now is waste EMC. It is difficult to distribute the EMC so that the right proportions go to the right condensers. This way you describe it makes for an awful lot of waste products.

I don't see why this should be a waste. There are always as many as items crafted as the next automated crafting table can accept. They are stored there, not deleted or anything. "Waste product" for me would be, if the automated crafting table would overproduce items and they would be deleted or anything but that doesn't happen.

If by "waste" you mean, that the automated crafting tables are filled up to the maximum, you can easily manage this with timers.

I don't see why this should be a waste. There are always as many as items crafted as the next automated crafting table can accept. They are stored there, not deleted or anything. "Waste product" for me would be, if the automated crafting table would overproduce items and they would be deleted or anything but that doesn't happen.

If by "waste" you mean, that the automated crafting tables are filled up to the maximum, you can easily manage this with timers.

Sorry. By waste I mean that one part of production (i.e. MV transformers)Is producing a crap ton (Lets say 1 every 10 sec) then the rest of production (solar panels and LV transformers) cannot keep up and you end up with a surplus of MV transformers. This surplus is waste as it is not being used up in the creation of the HV solar panel.

And yes, timers would work wonderfully for this task.

Did this clear things up?

Sorry. By waste I mean that one part of production (i.e. MV transformers)Is producing a crap ton (Lets say 1 every 10 sec) then the rest of production (solar panels and LV transformers) cannot keep up and you end up with a surplus of MV transformers. This surplus is waste as it is not being used up in the creation of the HV solar panel.

And yes, timers would work wonderfully for this task.

Did this clear things up?

I still don't understand why TC doesn't simply use pneumatic pipes and filters. There would only be a crap ton of transformer or whatever, if the next source can handle and accept all of them. If the following process can't accept more items, no more items are produced.

And if you don't want to have the automatic crafting table to be filled up with unused transformers, panels whatever..just block slots with items that are not being used in this crafting table.

So you have a crafting table with x slots (rest blocked) and it will only request previous items if it has space to create one and will send out items only if the next automated crafting table has space.

So the only thing that happens within this factory is, that automatic crafting table A has to wait till the following automatic crafting table B has enough ressources to proceed. Nothing is wasted.

I still don't understand why TC doesn't simply use pneumatic pipes and filters. There would only be a crap ton of transformer or whatever, if the next source can handle and accept all of them. If the following process can't accept more items, no more items are produced.

And if you don't want to have the automatic crafting table to be filled up with unused transformers, panels whatever..just block slots with items that are not being used in this crafting table.

So you have a crafting table with x slots (rest blocked) and it will only request previous items if it has space to create one and will send out items only if the next automated crafting table has space.

So the only thing that happens within this factory is, that automatic crafting table A has to wait till the following automatic crafting table B has enough ressources to proceed. Nothing is wasted.

This made me wonder, can you use 1 chest and put the resources for that particular table?

Apparently I did not clear things up...

Those extra transformers are waste. Their not used. To me, the perfect system will have no materials left in the system once a HV solar panel was made. So that means that If you turn off the system right as a HV was made, there should be NO resources in the system.

This made me wonder, can you use 1 chest and put the resources for that particular table?

Yes you can. My current design uses chests to help make the manufacturing 100% material efficient.

(JW, how did that get you wondering about chests and auto crafting tables?)

Apparently I did not clear things up...

Those extra transformers are waste. Their not used. To me, the perfect system will have no materials left in the system once a HV solar panel was made. So that means that If you turn off the system right as a HV was made, there should be NO resources in the system.

Yes you can. My current design uses chests to help make the manufacturing 100% material efficient.

(JW, how did that get you wondering about chests and auto crafting tables?)

Because DaSoul mentioned using more than one material in a chest, although he was referring to putting materials in that do not go into the table. I designed mine based on a youtube tutorial, and he (the youtuber) was using separate chests for each material. I just didn't know you could put more than one type of material in a chest for the automatic crafting tables.

If you don't want to mass produce unused items, you don't need a chest.

EMC Source -> Filter -> (if needed) furnace/macerator -> Filter -> automatic crafting table A -> Filter -> automatic crafting table B

If crafting table B is waiting for an item of another "production chain" it will not accept any further items of production chain from automatic crafting table A. So it will always only proceed on demand = no waste.