Is Thaumcraft 2 in Tekkit?

The creator of Thaumcraft 2 mentioned he was adding SMP support once Mojang releases their standard modding API, if he does make a SMP version, is there any chance we'll be seeing it?

I would say "Yes."

The creator of Thaumcraft probably won't even need to make SMP support since 1.3 merges singleplayer and multiplayer together.

Pretty sure unless they also (finally) release a mod API, that 1.3 basically forces people to make SMP mods instead of SSP and SMP mods.

I'm wondering what the modders and coders have to say on the subject.

The API has been sidelined to 1.4 (see tweets from Dinnerbone around May 2nd).

The merging of ssp/smp will somewhat force modders to redevelop large parts of their mod. It isn't a guarantee that all mod owners will make their mods SMP compatible, but I think that most will.

Of course updating mods to 1.3 will not be easy. I'll bet a few very popular mods will suddenly die, as the owners just won't want to spend the time updating them.

Once 1.3 hits, all mods will have to be SMP enabled. They're gutting all the redundant logic a server can take care of and cutting all double implementations (code that runs one way if you're SSP, and another if you're SMP).

Mods will have to shift their logic to server side, as current implementations will run into problems with missing class files in the client.

Now take note, some systems mods use will have to be rewritten or they will act funny with 2+ players, even after the basic conversion to SMP aware. Thaumcraft and millenaire are good examples.

Unless I'm mistaken, thaumcraft 2's discovery system works by initializing the recipes for discovered items into the crafting system when the discovery items are used. But the crafting system is global, so in SMP one person discovering something would unlock it for everyone.

Millenaire is another one that I'm pretty sure stores all data in global variables, so without a rewrite of some of the code everyone would have the exact same reputation with all of the villages.

Unless I'm mistaken, thaumcraft 2's discovery system works by initializing the recipes for discovered items into the crafting system when the discovery items are used. But the crafting system is global, so in SMP one person discovering something would unlock it for everyone.

As an observation, if you run multiple accounts from the same computer TC2 research doesn't carry over, even in the same world. I.E. if my son loads up one of my worlds then he'd have to do all the research again. Might be relevant to the new modding, then again might have fuck all to do with it.

• 1 month later...

As an observation, if you run multiple accounts from the same computer TC2 research doesn't carry over, even in the same world. I.E. if my son loads up one of my worlds then he'd have to do all the research again. Might be relevant to the new modding, then again might have fuck all to do with it.

maybe the info is saved according to player in a world? so if you research with "x" account, "y" account won't have said privileges?

If that's the case then it's fine if it's server-sided , since "x" account thaumcraft privileges are stored in the world file in the server :)

I haven't looked, but it could be stored similar to how Alchemy bags are done. Note to self: check for Thaumcraft .dat files next time I go to play Technic+...

Thaumcraft.au2

Thaumcraft.re

Thaumcraft.st

Checked that for you, couldn't find a thaumcraft.dat, and it doesn't seem to be anything related to thaumcraft in the data folder.