So. you got yourself a tekkit server?

NOTE: this is NOT a guide to set up a server. Make sure you already have a server or are about to set one up. This guide will help you to get your server cool and popular.

Introduction:

Hello. So you have a tekkit server! Awesome! But it will be crappy and griefed if you don’t get the right plugins, and the right mod configuration! That’s why I made this guide:

I hate crappy servers. I hope this will help you to make your server look cool.

Server spawn:

The server spawn. One of the hardest things to build at a server. It has to be epic; it needs to look awesome and needs to make players stay at your server. A crappy spawn will scare away players, and you shouldn’t want that to happen. There are a few spawn types which you can use:

The "look how epic my server is!!" spawn:

This is probably the best kind of spawn there is. It shows off the server for a bit, and makes people belief the server owner is a nice and creative person. If you want a spawn as epic as the one from terra novo or hello creeper, you need to be a good builder or get help from planetminecraft build teams. But watch out for grievers!! Make sure they don’t use world edit to turn your server into total crap. This happens quite often, and you should not trust everyone which says he’s a good builder. They may turn your world into sponge. When you get a building team, make sure you give them some credits. Even a small sign would do.

The "real spawn is under construction" spawn:

Don’t you dare to use this as an excuse to hide your bad building skills!! An emergency spawn is a good option for a beginning server if you want players on it while the spawn isn’t ready yet. Make sure you do not miss any neccecairy info at this spawn!! A good emergency spawn would be: a marble brick platform, with signs around it. Those signs tell you the entire server's info. Make sure players want to read the signs. If you don’t make the signs interesting, they will just skip it and play on your server while they don’t know the rules and stalk you with questions. Also make sure it is near your yet-to-become spawn! Players will be interested in your brand new spawn and take a look!! Don’t forget to protect the area!! This will probably wipe out your building project.

The "this is a schematic I copied from planetminecraft" spawn:

Go away, you stink. Don’t mindlessly copy over someone else's building. And if you are lazy and want a good spawn, make sure you:

1. edit the building
  2. add some signs with the builders name on it
  3. Don’t lie about the spawn. You didn’t build it. It also isn’t *based* on a schematic, it’s just the schematic. If it is based on a schematic, you rebuilded it yourself with the same design!

Disabled mods:

You may want to disable some mods. Even though tekkit is a good modpack with balanced mods, not all servers will be able to hold every single mod. Mods like wireless Redstone will probably tear your server apart. This is a list of dangerous mods and why you may want to disable them:

1. EE. This is one of the most popular mods and you may want to only disable certain items. This mod will shut down your server in a few days. When you’re a fast player and have some luck you can get stuff like a destruction catalyst in just a few days. This may cause some holes in your world. If you like those, go ahead and let people play with those items!!
  2. Redpower. One of the most underrated mods in tekkit. Redpower is a great mod and you may not want to fully disable it. But it does bypass a hell of a lot protections!! If you lock a chest with lwc, place a block breaker and a Redstone torch and your protection is gone (and so will be your stuff). Also, I’ve heard protection plugins are bypassed by the new building frames. Then again, you shouldn’t fully disable the entire mod. It’s great but no-one uses it.
  3. IC2. The most basic mod in tekkit. You can’t disable this mod without losing players. But it does have some stuff in it which aint good for a server. You can nuke the spawn, or destroy the envoirment with a terraformer. You can screw a pvp server by using full quantum, and even lagg down the server with some nice industrialTNT. I advise to block off some items of this mod
  4. Buildcraft. Not too harmful. But you don’t want players to place a quarry around your house or lagg down the server with teleport pipes!! Also this is a buggy plugin and has quite some bugs. It may even corrupt a chunk.
  5. Railcraft. Not too popular. But watch out for the chunk loading items!!! You may only want some chunk loading blocks at your spawn. Block this off for admins as well.

I will explain how to block off items later in this post

Server types:

Hardcore pvp:

This is not a server which will ban you as soon as you die. This is one of the most common and popular server types. You can grief, raid and kill whoever you want. These servers DO have rules so don’t think it’s just a no-rules-just-kill server. You probably can’t spawn kill and you won’t be able to grief the spawn. If you like pvp and raiding, this is the perfect server for you. You can see some useful plugins later in this post.

Pvp:

Just a pvp server. No grieving or raiding. You can kill each other without reason and you won’t get banned for it. Make sure you don’t grief though, if you want to grief you need to look for a hardcore pvp server.

Creative:

A creative tekkit server will be hard to manage. The machines and mechanics will tear the server apart. I recommend keeping a low amount of players on your server. Get some good antigrief as well!!

Economy:

Tekkit is good for economy servers. There is loads of stuff you can use for it. Tekkit even has its own currency: the ic2 credit. This server will probably not allow grieving. You can’t get a war with others. You will have to conquer the world by earning money. I will mention some good plugins later on.

Blocking off items:

Servers will die if they don’t block off any items. This is how to do it:

First of all, I would recommend getting permissionsEX. As it is a highly advanced permissions plugin. It comes with modify world with is a great plugin to block items. This is how to set it up:

1. ·Download the plugin
  2. ·Install all .jar files except chat manager
  3. ·Open the modify world configuration file
  4. ·Set item restrictions to "true"
  5. ·Open the permissions file in the permissionsEX folder
  6. ·Then you just add the following permission nodes:

- -modifyworld.items.have.[item id]

- -modifyworld.items.use.[item id]

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.[item id]

to block a player from placing a block, add

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.[item is]

Plugins:

The best way to find a plugin is to use http://www.dev.bukkit.org. Make sure the plugin you install has bukkit version 1.2.5R0/1.2.5R3. If a plugin is outdated you can ask someone to update it at the bukkit forums. A few good plugins are:

PermissionsEX 

One of the best and most common permissions plugins; it has full inheritance support, can fully be controlled with in-game commands, is relatively easy to setup, it has an advanced promotion system and it is supported by mostly all plugins. This plugin is highly recommended for every small, medium or large server. You won't need this plugin if you have a 5 slot friend-only server.

permissionsEX: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/permissionsex/

World edit/voxel sniper

These are two great world editing plugins. But which one would you prefer? If you want to create natural looking terrains or epic castles voxel sniper would be the best option for you. But if you prefer lightweight and fast building you should get world edit. World edit also is a required plugin if you wish to use world guard. 

world edit: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/worldedit/

voxel sniper: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/voxelsniper/

Factions 

This is one of the best pvp plugins you will find out there. It supports wars, alliances, economy, clans and quite a lot more. It also offers great spawn protection and you can easily create special warzones. I recommend this plugin for all pvp and hardcore pvp servers. Also you can add factions+ to get private chat and advanced faction management. 

factions: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/factions/

factions+: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/factionsplus/

Spam guard 

Spam guard is just like most other spam guard plugins. There isn’t anything special about it. But this one is the most lightweight and the easiest to handle. You simply install it and you are done. You can spam as much as you want and it will stop most types of spam. You can send messages too fast and you can send the same message too much after each other. You will get kicked 3 times and if you keep on spamming you get banned. Everything is fully configurable of course.

spamguard: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/spamguard/

Towny advanced

This is one of the best town plugins ever made. It supports tax, war, nations, towns, kings, ranks, grief protection, creeper heal and way more. This is somewhat like factions, but it is economy base instead of pvp based. Even though you will have a hard time to set everything up, it’s a great plugin and it allows you to get the economy server you’ve always wanted.

towny: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/towny-advanced/

Essentials

This plugin is used on almost every server. It adds over 100 commands and if you don’t have it you will miss a hell of a lot of features on your server. For example: you can’t do /home, or /tpa, or /tempban or even /mute. However, if you wish to use an alternate plugin like command book or sidekick, you can’t have this plugin along with them. I’d recommend this plugin to all servers. You will miss so much if you don’t have it. And it fully customizes your server. It has a huge config and you can give your server a nice look with it. Even the small things like the chat format can get people to stay at your server.

essentials: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/essentials/

Core protect

This plugin allows you to simply rollback a griefed area. If you get the right fixes, you will even be able to rollback nukes and red matter tools. It doesn’t require sql and doesn’t require too much memory. This plugin also makes you see who broke what, and rollback that person from the server completely. This is a lightweight rollback plugin and it still works better then swatchdog or big brother. I advise all servers to install this plugin.

CoreProtect: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/coreprotect/

Why you can’t get anti cheat plugins:

work in progress!!

a planetminecraft server post:

planetminecraft is the biggest minecraft related website you will find. Nearly all servers are posted on it. You will have to make your post look good enough to make people come to your server. You can do that by adding pictures, and adding a few subjects to your post. If you simply make sure you have these things in your post, you should get some players:

• the right server ip
  • a link to the tekkit website
  • you need to explain what tekkit is, so people may start playing it for your server
  • you need epic pictures of your spawn and other buildings
  • make sure you have a promotion form, so people think they can get admin
  • put on a list of banned items
  • a list of plugins
  • and a list of staff members
Staff selection: A server’s staff is one of the most important things on a server. But how do you get good staff and who shouldn’t become staff at all? One of the worst things you can do is posting a new topic at the minecraft forums or planetminecraft to recruit new staff. Most of the time there will be grievers replying to those posts and they will do some nice stuff to your server. SO, this is bad. But how can you pick your staff relatively safe? How can I make sure people don’t grief my server or abuse their new powers? Well, the best way would be to do this:
  • You start your server. You are the only staff member. Your server only has a few slots
  • After a week your server will probably be filled up. Pick a player which respects the rules
  • Keep an eye on this player and make him “trial-mod” with /mute, /kick and /jail
  • If he does his job well, you promote him to mod and give him /tempban
  • Get some more slots on your server. After a week you promote the mod again, to mod+
  • As mod+ he would have access to /invsee and /tp. Now get a new trial-mod
  • Wait a few weeks till the trial-mod has proven itself a good mod and make the mod+ “trial-admin”
Now, admins usually have all permissions. That’s why you will have to keep an eye on the yet-to-become admin. When he proves itself a good admin, make him a full admin and get some more moderators. Now you will have a good staff which you can trust. NEVER reward someone with a higher rank. Also you may not want your friends to be admin on your server since you will get problems in real-live when they abuse. If you wish to get a team of admins faster, go ahead. But I warned you!! White, gray and blacklists: These are an effective way to keep grievers, hackers and other bad pussycats away from your server. But it will also make some other players leave because they don’t want to wait to be accepted. I will explain what a whitelist, a graylist and a blacklist is. Whitelist First of all, the whitelist. This is a vanilla feature in the minecraft server software and it doesn’t require any plugins. All you need to do is /whitelist on and create an acceptation form on your website or forum page. If someone wants to join your server, an admin may see the application and if the new player is accepted you can simply run /whitelist add [playername] to allow this person to join the server. Graylist This is the same as a whitelist, however players can join the game and take a look around your spawn. They won’t be able to build or mine until they have been accepted to the server and you move them to the member group. When they get declined, they will be moved to the declined group and they can’t even chat anymore. This is how a graylist permissions file would look with permissionsEX:

Blacklist

Blacklist is a good way to auto-ban grievers. You will need the plugin MCbans or Minebans. MCbans has the largest database. It works simple: every time a new player joins MCbans checks if that player has been reported. An admin will get a warning and if the player got banned too often, it gets auto-banned and you won’t need to worry about that griever/hacker anymore!!

thanks for reading my post. But I need some help. You may have noticed some grammatical mistakes. That’s because I’m not good at English. If you see any spelling or grammar mistakes, please send me a personal message so I can edit my post. Please don’t post it in a comment, so other people can see it and laugh at me.

And to all moderators, I know this is a long post. But I’d like to improve it and add pictures. May I add pictures so this becomes a great post at which I can be proud? I wouldn’t like to get banned again…

changelog:

12-6-12: created the post

12-6-12: added links to the plugins.

12-6-12: added staff selection

13-6-12: added white, gray and blacklist

groups:

declined:

default: false

options:

permissions:

- modifyworld.login

guest:

perfix: "&7[&fGuest&7] &f"

default: true

options:

inheritance:

- declined

permissions:

- modifyworld.chat

- modifyworld.sprint

member:

perfix: "&7[&fMember&7] &f"

default: false

options:

permissions:

- modifyworld.*

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's good.

But now we will have billions of average servers that wouldn't have existed without following this to the letter,

that should never have existed in the first place due to asshat admins.

But yes, very nice. I would expect a retraction from the pink name brigade :D

Now if you put just as much effort in your other posts... >D

(Yup, I shat in your thread, will clean up given the word)

Lovely post. Thumbs up!

I would suggest adding Modifyworld in combination with PEX btw. In regards of loggingtool, for us, LogBlock also works like a charm.

The sticky i have about "nooby" setup is to be updated to work with Tekkit 3.0.4 (or MC 1.2.5 is the correct to say). Hope its ok that i uses some of this that you have written here, as Im not the best writer, at all :)

Lovely post. Thumbs up!

I would suggest adding Modifyworld in combination with PEX btw. In regards of loggingtool, for us, LogBlock also works like a charm.

The sticky i have about "nooby" setup is to be updated to work with Tekkit 3.0.4 (or MC 1.2.5 is the correct to say). Hope its ok that i uses some of this that you have written here, as Im not the best writer, at all :)

thanks for your support. but if you look in the "blocking off items" section, you would find out i use modifyworld. i really love pex and if someone needs help with it i may be able to help you. i happen to know a few things about servers. send me a message if you need help

and i love the fact that you compare this with a sticky :D

also, logblock is a great plugin but not everyone has SQL availible. coreprotect does the same as logblock but doesnt require an sql base and it has a full inspect mode intead of a inspect wand. thats why i prefer this one above logblock.

Whenever i get to get some work about updating that sticky, ill also add

taht contains the entire pluginsetup. That way people dont have to use hours and hours themselfe (and in most cases fail, no phun intended there). Instead make it a copypaste with some of the basic setups.

But if its OK, i want to use alot of your OP in the sticky i got. You do cover some stuff way better than i did (even if that you have covered more than i had intended). Quote will ofc be added to let ppl know who the writer of said input is :)

And yeah, i might read stuff abit to fast, and miss some sections, ofc i see MW now :)

Whenever i get to get some work about updating that sticky, ill also add

But if its OK, i want to use alot of your OP in the sticky i got. You do cover some stuff way better than i did (even if that you have covered more than i had intended). Quote will ofc be added to let ppl know who the writer of said input is :)

And yeah, i might read stuff abit to fast, and miss some sections, ofc i see MW now :)

taht contains the entire pluginsetup. That way people dont have to use hours and hours themselfe (and in most cases fail, no phun intended there). Instead make it a copypaste with some of the basic setups.

ofc you can as long as you quote it :/. i will keep on updating this page and i will cover more and more subjects. i dont know why, dont ask for it. also i was a bit confused by the empty code thing :?

Nice set of tips! I enjoyed reading your guide. :)

I've had a normal Bukkit server for over a year now, and a Tekkit server for almost a month, so I've already learned pretty much everything you said the hard way. I tried to put in Orebfuscator and NoCheat on my first try, haha. As far as the admin deal goes, I just get mods with /kick, /ban and /mute. It is REALLY hard to find someone you can trust with semi-full perms who won't abuse their power. Even I as owner often get huge urges to ban someone for raiding or mocking me and I don't want to put any person or my server as a whole in that situation. :P

Nice set of tips! I enjoyed reading your guide. :)

I've had a normal Bukkit server for over a year now, and a Tekkit server for almost a month, so I've already learned pretty much everything you said the hard way. I tried to put in Orebfuscator and NoCheat on my first try, haha. As far as the admin deal goes, I just get mods with /kick, /ban and /mute. It is REALLY hard to find someone you can trust with semi-full perms who won't abuse their power. Even I as owner often get huge urges to ban someone for raiding or mocking me and I don't want to put any person or my server as a whole in that situation. :P

ea i know exactly what you mean. i love to raid, and i also like raiding with nukes. but when i do that on the server im co-owner at, they all say i abuse and spawn in stuff. thats just somthing you have to accept if you become staff member i guess.

and thanks for reading!

Thank you for this guide! It really helped me a lot in upgrading from Bukkit to Tekkit and choosing what mods to keep and what to install! Thanks!

Residence is way better than Towny, tons more options I think, I too use it on my Tekkit server.

I use Residence, people claim areas then subdivide them into smaller areas for people to live in. :D

I cant get any of theese commands to work!

- -modifyworld.items.have.[item id]

- -modifyworld.items.use.[item id]

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.[item id]

- -modifyworld.item.have[item id]

Code:

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.[item is]

And i think that i have done it correctly. (I know that modifyworld and item restrictions are enabled.)

This is my setup with pex:

groups:

default:

default: true

options:

permissions:

- lwc.protect

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.194:2

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.250:46

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.250:15

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.126:1

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.126:11

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.126:10

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.239

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.237

- -modifyworld.blocks.place.246:5

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27584

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.30208:1

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.30208:27

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.30208

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27583

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27582

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27581

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27580

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27579

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27578

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27577

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27576

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27575

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27573

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27572

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27570

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27569

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27568

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27567

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27566

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27565

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27564

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.27563

- -modifyworld.items.use.194:2

- -modifyworld.items.have.4303

- -modifyworld.items.have.4304

- -modifyworld.items.have.4305

- -modifyworld.items.use.4305

- -modifyworld.items.use.4304

- -modifyworld.items.use.4303

- -modifyworld.items.use.27538

- -modifyworld.items.use.178

- -modifyworld.items.use.27527

- -modifyworld.items.use.30215

- -modifyworld.items.use.30214

- -modifyworld.items.use.27583

- -modifyworld.items.use.27556

- -modifyworld.items.use.30208

- -modifyworld.items.have.6361

- -modifyworld.items.have.30215

- -modifyworld.items.have.30214

- -modifyworld.items.have.126:2

- -modifyworld.items.have.46

- -modifyworld.items.have.178

- -modifyworld.items.have.214

- -modifyworld.items.have.239

- -modifyworld.items.have.237

- -modifyworld.items.have.27527

- -modifyworld.items.have.27593

- -modifyworld.items.have.30208:27

- -modifyworld.items.have.30208:1

- -modifyworld.items.have.30208

- -modifyworld.items.have.27531

- -modifyworld.items.have.27532

- -modifyworld.items.have.27533

- -modifyworld.items.have.27584

- -modifyworld.items.have.27583

- -modifyworld.items.have.27573

- -modifyworld.items.have.27572

- -modifyworld.items.have.27563

- -modifyworld.items.have.27556

- -modifyworld.items.have.126:4

- -modifyworld.items.have.126:7

- -modifyworld.items.have.126:9

- -modifyworld.items.have.126:11

- -modifyworld.items.have.126:10

- modifyworld.*

Member:

options:

prefix: '&0(&8M&7ember&0)&7'

permissions:

- modifyworld.*

VIP:

options:

prefix: '&0(&eVIP&0)&7'

permissions:

- -modifyworld.mobtarget.monster.creeper

- modifyworld.*

Moderator:

options:

prefix: '&0(&1Moderator&0)&7'

permissions:

- modifyworld.*

Admins:

options:

prefix: '&0(&4Admin&0)&7'

permissions:

- modifyworld.*

- '*'

- permissions.*

users:

Rnen10:

group:

Put an 'x' in front of each itemid that isn't from vanilla so that

- -modifyworld.items.have.27556

becomes

- -modifyworld.items.have.x27556

You can also do something like this:

- -modifyworld.items.pickup.(x27575|x27576|x27577|x27578|...|x27579)

to have each statement in one line.

I get this when i run the server launcher.

an error occured during initialization of VM

Could not reserv ebough space for object heap

Error: Could not create the java virtual machine

Error: A fatal exeption has occurred. Program will exit.

Please help!

Backup you'r world and re-install the server files.

Don't do this. Also, your problem is not related to the topic, so please post your own thread. Before you do that, though, read the stickies. They indicate how to solve this problem. It involves dedicating less RAM to your server. If the computer you're running the server on doesn't have enough to start the server from the default batch file, though, it likely won't run the server very well.

- -modifyworld.items.have.(x30173:1|x30172:1|x30171:1|x27551|x27552|x27577|x27578|x126:4|x237|x126:11|x149|x30208:1|x30208:27|x27527|x179|x27532|x27532:1|x27538|x27538:1|x27556|x214|x7303|x27531|x27530|x27584|x27584:1|x27584:2|x27584:3|x27584:4|x27584:5|x27584:6|x27584:7|x27574|x27574:1|x27574:1|x27533|x27533:1|x27593|x27593:1|x27583|x134:2|x208|x207|x208:1|x7310|x30131|x30173:27|x30172:27|x30171:27)

Can someone tell me where i'm going wrong.. I have modifyworld is enabled and i do have item restriction set to true! This is placed before modifyworld.*

Thanks