What server hosters support Tekkit?

Okay, figured this from MossyCobble:

Q - Can I use Buildcraft or mods that edit the jar file on shared packages?

A - No.

So I'd have to spend the money for 20 player slots that will not be occupied.

Also, from Beastnode I'm trying to decide from Chicken or Sheep.

But, it does support Bukkit but I cannot find any info on mod support?

Does it have a policy like Mossy where you have to pay more to

support Tekkit?

Why not host it yourself? I'm hosting a 20-slot Tekkit server on a relatively crappy computer (dual-core Athlon 64 at 2.0GHz with 4GB RAM, $200 plus some spare parts) and a 10megabit connection shared with another server, and it only lags to around ~17tps when it gets full.

I would definitely reccomend BeastNode, charging extra for using a modified Bukkit client is just ridiculous. BeastNode was my first host, and I'll definitely reccomend them if you're starting up or just want a small server. They have great support, great prices, no lag or downtime whatsoever. I could go on, now if only they offered services in dedicated servers, I would still be with them. So yeah, heh. All you have to do is rename your Tekkit.jar to whatever the default one is called because that's what their startup script uses.

Why not host it yourself? I'm hosting a 20-slot Tekkit server on a relatively crappy computer (dual-core Athlon 64 at 2.0GHz with 4GB RAM, $200 plus some spare parts) and a 10megabit connection shared with another server, and it only lags to around ~17tps when it gets full.

I would, but I want to have a 24/7, as it goes off in the nights and I don't want to restart it everyday. Unless I get a few hundred to buy a server, I'm going to go with hosting.

check you servercraft. i use them and they are great, i just asked them about installing tekkit and dynmap and they did everything for me. they also use myMCadmin which comes in handy since i can get the app for it on my ipad and android phone. they also take snap shots of your world and upload them in to a maps folder every day.

I would, but I want to have a 24/7, as it goes off in the nights and I don't want to restart it everyday. Unless I get a few hundred to buy a server, I'm going to go with hosting.

He doesn't turn off the computer. He meant that he has a dedicated machine for running the server. Currently at home I run a Dual core 1.6ghz Intel + 3gb ram. <- This computer is really weak but its enough for what i do.

Look on Craigslist and buy a cheap old computer off someone (2ghz dualcore + 3-4 gb ram) Install Linux, and SSH into the box and BAM your done. If you do it that way, the computer will cost about 100 - 200$ and as for power and internet that depends on where you live.

I can suggest minecraftserver.net their staff is awesome dealing with problems, never seen a team more dedicated to their customers ever, just ask for the custom jar support (they will enable it for you quickly) and follow their own guide in their knowledge base to install tekkit and bam, tekkit runs like a charm there.

I'm using HostAltitude.

Most any hosting will work if you have the ability to FTP your own files to it. Just don't choose a managed package. All you have to do is rename tekkit.jar to craftbukkit.jar ;)

Just don't harrass the hosting company if you shit your own server. Be smart enough to know your issues and theirs.

Look on Craigslist and buy a cheap old computer off someone (2ghz dualcore + 3-4 gb ram) Install Linux, and SSH into the box and BAM your done. If you do it that way, the computer will cost about 100 - 200$ and as for power and internet that depends on where you live.

I just thought, if I want to give more than 1Gig of Ram to the server, wouldn't I have to have a 64-bit? I made sure the Linux is compatible with the XP, but I though 32-bit Java can't have a Gigabyte or above of RAM.

Also a Craigslist search of 'computer' brought up this:

http://hanford.craigslist.org/sys/3105967143.html

And I must say, for $90? No way. Only a fifteen minute drive. But, can anyone find any information on HP Pavilion a1410y? I don't know how much RAM it has.

Try http://server.nitrado.net/eng/gameserver-mieten#&panel1-1 it's a German host but you can change language of the homepage to english, it is very easy to install Tekkit, you only have to click on "Install tekkit"

Hmm, time to pull out Google's currency converter!

I just thought, if I want to give more than 1Gig of Ram to the server, wouldn't I have to have a 64-bit? I made sure the Linux is compatible with the XP, but I though 32-bit Java can't have a Gigabyte or above of RAM.

Also a Craigslist search of 'computer' brought up this:

http://hanford.craigslist.org/sys/3105967143.html

And I must say, for $90? No way. Only a fifteen minute drive. But, can anyone find any information on HP Pavilion a1410y? I don't know how much RAM it has.

Hmm, time to pull out Google's currency converter!

I don't see how java is restricted to 1 gb ram on 32bit, I'm pretty sure you're fine upto 4gb on 32bit. Also Linux is godly stable on 32 but 64 can be a power house if you can take advantage of it. ;)

EDIT: oh yes also another thing to keep your eye on is to ask how much ram it has and if its DDR2 or DDR3. If you can get DDR3 w/ 3 Gb ram Your good to go :) 4gb ram is even better!

• 1 month later...