Let's talk about how great Planetside 2 is going to be

sct

The model is based around a game concept tried and validated through the likes of DOTA; its numbers keep it strong enough to entice people to continue playing, and the constant skin releases give people something to buy. Not to mention the entire game is largely disabled for free players (by that I mean the heroes), allowing only a few to be played for free at a time.

As I believe Planetside2 isn't going to augment their sales by restricting content (because it is only cosmetic/shortcut sales) I still hold my skepticism. Not to mention it is a concept being based on a largely untested (relatively speaking) FPS-MMO.

You're partially correct. I may not like the game much, but without spending a single cent, i managed to play enough games to unlock a couple fun champions with just my winnings. As long as Planetside2 keeps things in rotation, and lets you earn a reasonable amount of income to buy those things permanently, it's not an issue.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're partially correct. I may not like the game much, but without spending a single cent, i managed to play enough games to unlock a couple fun champions with just my winnings. As long as Planetside2 keeps things in rotation, and lets you earn a reasonable amount of income to buy those things permanently, it's not an issue.

I suppose you are right, but this acts as a mechanism to keep people playing, thus keeping the game more accessible to people of all skill levels. I wonder if Planetside 2 will be able to keep its population at a sufficient level to be self-maintained.

Popular games seem to attract more people due to being popular, thus prolonging their lifespan; the reverse is true as well. A good game without players has a harder time getting them, so it takes longer to launch.

God I hope this game can maintain enough players; hype has to equal its deliverance, as any disparity between the two leads to less players in the end.

I have faith in Sony's ability to replicate business strategies that make them a crapton of money. My only real concern is that the cosmetic is going to cross the border into ridiculousness, and a year or so after release I'll find myself shooting down heart-camo Galaxies equipped with bubble rockets and pink bubblegum cockpits.

I have faith in Sony's ability to replicate business strategies that make them a crapton of money. My only real concern is that the cosmetic is going to cross the border into ridiculousness, and a year or so after release I'll find myself shooting down heart-camo Galaxies equipped with bubble rockets and pink bubblegum cockpits.

I would be the one flying that fucker, and screaming profanities.

• Forum Administrators

I dunno that sounds pretty great

Don't forget dong rockets.

New Conglomorate looks pretty sexy guys...

It's tolerable, but Terran Republic is where it's at. My hats off to the NC guys for the big guns, but when I played Planetside, I kept going back to TR. There was something about it that I liked. Maybe it was the non-gay color scheme, or the fact that your handgun was partially effective (the others were either under balanced or over balanced), or that the people who played the faction weren't a bunch of pole smoking cock knockers. TR just seemed to be the win faction.

But I got me a beta key as of last night, so I'm totally amp'd. I just hope this ol' computer can push the specs, which for an online game, it should.

I prefer a balance between speed and power. Not only do slower firing guns tend to be more powerful, but they also let you conserve ammo easier.

If you're gonna play NC, I'll be embarrassed for you.

I seem to remember me predicting there would be a PS2 thread over in the Diablo 3 subforum, did I not?

There will be XP boosts available for cash money, but they will never be "pay to win" things. They will slightly speed up your progression through the stats upgrades.

Nothing will be made exclusive, except cosmetics.

I will also return to kicking ass in a New Conglomerate Reaver. Watch the skies.

Also, I'm in the beta.

Moogle! How can you betray your technic brethren!? It is our job to suppress the masses, to keep order from chaos! Also, I'm more support, so you'll find me moving galaxies and sunderers to the front lines.

Oh, also a reason not to play NC:

XgPHc.jpg

Meet your teammates.

Heh, the only reason I played NC, is because I was using my cousin's account without him knowing.

Guess I developed a bit of loyalty :D

But TR seems to be a bit... you know...

Like in strategy games, where goddamn every noob instinctively plays the humanz. (SoaSE, everyone plays TEC)

So, I think TR seems a cop out option for some who care not about stats and playstyles, and kick at everyone else without a clue WHY those rivalries exist.

Heh, the only reason I played NC, is because I was using my cousin's account without him knowing.

Guess I developed a bit of loyalty :D

But TR seems to be a bit... you know...

Like in strategy games, where goddamn every noob instinctively plays the humanz. (SoaSE, everyone plays TEC)

So, I think TR seems a cop out option for some who care not about stats and playstyles, and kick at everyone else without a clue WHY those rivalries exist.

I agree. Every time I try introducing my friends CoD playing friends to Starcraft, they go all for Terran. Because they like a defensive playstyle? Because they are interested by the center in opposition to the expensive Protoss and the cheap Zergs? Nope. Because GUNZ NI SHITS. Since I'm a Protoss player, I like high tech things with curves (I can't stand the Conglomerate because of that), that's why Vanu is the only choice for me.

I agree. Every time I try introducing my friends CoD playing friends to Starcraft, they go all for Terran. Because they like a defensive playstyle? Because they are interested by the center in opposition to the expensive Protoss and the cheap Zergs? Nope. Because GUNZ NI SHITS. Since I'm a Protoss player, I like high tech things with curves (I can't stand the Conglomerate because of that), that's why Vanu is the only choice for me.

To be fair, the playstyle of both Zerg and Protoss are unique and therefor difficult for the gun-toting halfwits of today to wrap their brains around.

Also, how many flight-capable vehicles are there in a map? I'm seeing a large amount of people (relatively) wanting to be pilots, and this usually ends in a full-rush to the vehicles at respawn.

Another thing people like Aegis don't realise, is that's EXACTLY what will happen :D

This is why we are here to squeal over how awesome this game will be.

All the popular fiction ideas of thousands of people waging virtual war? This is it, for real.

Back in PS1, there was no greater awe in seeing a few hundred Lightnings, and two dozen Galaxies massing for a zerg attack.

War IS cool, folks.

Another thing people like Aegis don't realise, is that's EXACTLY what will happen :D

This is why we are here to squeal over how awesome this game will be.

All the popular fiction ideas of thousands of people waging virtual war? This is it, for real.

Back in PS1, there was no greater awe in seeing a few hundred Lightnings, and two dozen Galaxies massing for a zerg attack.

War IS cool, folks.

And you know what was cool about that? Watching that zerg get repelled.