Has the Nether screwed you royal before?

Lothos

So yeah, I've played alot of MC and alot of new maps and not once has the default gate spawn in the Nether ever screwed me royal like it just did. I am about 40 blocks above the lava lake bottom ( which is typical) but this time i'm alone on a 9x7 1 block thick scrap of netherrack with 3 ghasts floating overhead.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few random ideas:

You could switch the difficulty to peaceful, start scrambling to build a cobblestone ceiling, punch their fireballs back at them, or jump and hope you're fireproof. Arranged in order of likelihood to survive.

I never hit the nether without a set of quantum armor, a mining turtle, and 10 stacks of cobble.

Quick shell of cobble to break ghast LOS then let the turtle build large walkways to interesting stuff.

How do you get the quantum armor without going into the Nether, since you need glowstone dust for at least the mass fabs and the advanced circuits, if not most of the other advanced equipment, like MFSUs? **Edit: I guess there are other ways of getting glowstone dust, but the nether seems the easiest, cheapest, and quickest.

The nether has raped me up the ass like Jupiter before. Many times.

Then I figured out to put my entrance portals deep underground so I'll spawn right above the lava table where ghasts aren't likely to be shooting at me right out of the gate, and bring a few stacks of cobblestone for quickly throwing up a defense. It's pretty kind to me now. So everyone knows, if you build a portal at or below level 32, you'll be right at the lava table in the nether. Every block that would otherwise be air is lava below level 32, like in the main world at level 10(?), so even if there are caves they're filled with lava, so you don't have to worry about trying to dig up and out into the nether proper from under a lava sea or some such.

I am thinking about doing my portal down at my main layer 12 exploration chamber this time to hope for a much lower initial nether spawn. usually i've been lazy and place it outside wherever I was at layer 64.

Im having an issue right now where my nether portal (placed at level 50-something in the over world) has spawned on level 8-ish in the nether. I can't get above ground to get glowstone (my reason for going to the nether) without running into a lake of lava. I know the lakes are huge, but I cant find anywhere to get above level 22. Ive tried other portals in my main land ( hundreds of blocks apart) but they all link to the same portal in the nether

Thank you I will definitely try this. I got about 600 away from my home and realized that my stupid self only had 5 obsidian. So now I'm almost 1300 blocks away from home, on a quest to find 3 source blocks of lava (2 i got from a vanilla village i stumbled upon and I used water on the blacksmiths forge).

what i have done in the past sometimes is to make a second portal 20 or so from the first nether portal in the nether and spawned a new portal in the overworld. Then depending on the outcome I destroy that nether portal in the nether and use the newly generated one in the overworld.

I cant find a happy layer to make the first portal on myself. Layer 12 sucked in the nether appearing on 22 way below the lakes. Layer 80 sucked being thrown up on FU isles. 64 is almost as bad as 80. I'm thinking maybe layer 40?

um, i dont know what happened this time. I made a gate on layer 45 ended up in the nether on 32 on the shore of the lava lake. went back thru the gate and it made a new gate in the overworld 180 blocks away. wtf???

If you want to make good one to one portal links the best thing to do is take your over world x and y cords. Than divide them by 8 and place your nether side portal at those cords. This will guarantee a proper link between the two portals that should never connect to another portal other then one above or below your one. The reason this works so well is that every block you travel horizontally in the nether is equal to 8 in the over world and both the nether and over world share the same 0 cords.

As for the z cord it rarely matters and can even screw you over if your not careful. Since the game will look for the nearest valid location with in 16 blocks of your nether cords (over word cords divided by 8) along the full 128 block z axis (33 by 33 by 128 area). If it cannot find a valid area than it will create one at the nearest air space to your nether cords and you will often end up with a floating nether portal over a lava lake. As for a valid location it looks for a area big enough to house the portal and has at least one layer of ground around the portal.

The game will also hunt for the nearest portal with in a 257 × 257 × 128 tall box volume centered horizontally on destination coordinate when looking for a portal. So if it fails to find one it will create a new one, which happens most often if the portal it created was at or beyond the max distance it can create one.

All this info is from - http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nether_portal

um, i dont know what happened this time. I made a gate on layer 45 ended up in the nether on 32 on the shore of the lava lake. went back thru the gate and it made a new gate in the overworld 180 blocks away. wtf???

Simple their were no valid locations with in the 16 block radius it checks so it created a portal at the nearest location it could. Which was more than 16 blocks away from where it should of bin in the nether and than when it looked for a return portal it failed to find one with in 128 blocks as you were a few blocks off in the nether. Once it failed to find a portal it created a new one in the over world at the closest location it could based on your nether cords times 8 and with in 16 blocks of that location.

Just be glad you did it so far underground in the over world other wise you would of ended up stranded on a floating platform above the lava lake.

can i just destroy the new stupid portal it made in the overlworld and force the other 2 to link?

Destroy the new over land portal that was made than go into the nether and build a platform out over the lava lake. Than destroy the portal in the nether and relocate it onto the platform and it should link up.

You only need to make the platform a few blocks over the lake, since each block in the nether is equal to 8 in the over world.