Buildcraft or Redpower - Which do you prefer?

sancarn

Sadly, no, she would have to include a complete rewrite of the pipes to make them compatible with covers and the such. This is all good and fancy if you're just using RP2 with BC3, but you try using any addons for buildcraft, it goes to fucktown before you can say "oh sheeeeet!"

EDIT: Also, IC2 would need a complete rewrite, so that machines accept new rewritten cables. same as above,lots of effort to make, incompatibillity with any addon that isn't rewritten to accomodate the rewrite of the core mod.

Indeed. Shame that... But maybe they'll find some other way for pipes. Maybe they could make jacketed pipes? But then again pipes are pretty okay seen as stone and cobblestone pipes still don't mix =D

From what I've understood the rewriting is required mainly for rendering and collision detection. Everything else should work just fine.

Problem is MC way of rendering blocks and performing collision detection is, well, sucky.

pipes still need a pipe that say only has 1 input and 1 output adjustable via a wrench. I hate that say I have 2 machines next to the same piece of wooden pipe, both machines outputs get taken. Or trying to stick a teleport or gold pipe off the output side of a row of machines even though you've alternated stone/cobble to keep them apart the addons will still intermix.

What sucks is trying to provide a hidden means of providing redstone power, EU power, input pipe, and output pipe to a machine without any of that being seen.

pipes still need a pipe that say only has 1 input and 1 output adjustable via a wrench. I hate that say I have 2 machines next to the same piece of wooden pipe, both machines outputs get taken. Or trying to stick a teleport or gold pipe off the output side of a row of machines even though you've alternated stone/cobble to keep them apart the addons will still intermix.

What sucks is trying to provide a hidden means of providing redstone power, EU power, input pipe, and output pipe to a machine without any of that being seen.

That's another reason I consider RP tubes to be superior. Using covers to separate tubes and paint to isolate items makes it so much easier.

When items are involved, it's almost always tubes. Faster, more compact, colourable, pannels work, more defined system for sorting (nearest inventory makes life a lot easyer). Between tubes, RP gates, wire, micro blocks and the various RP blocks I always make my main systems tubes.

Pipes I still use for liquid transport, and BC quarrys are simple set and forget. I'm sure frames are superior, but I've not used them yet. I ahve seen some rediculious inchworm underground digging machines on Direwolf server play which at 32 blocks/s make bc quarrys cry.

I've only used BC pipes until recently and damn RP tubes are so much easier to work with not to mention faster. They cost more, but are worth it most of the time for me. Getting stuff ready to start up my first frame. Idea I have is to use a really long frame to grab and pull blocks to block destroyers rather than inch along the whole construction. Goal is to make something easy to pack up and deploy somewhere else.

Computercraft's turtles are stupid powerful due to price and control (considering you're a decent LUA scripter). Just a few lines of code and I have something that digs out levels 10-15, then returns to dump everything in a filter/woodpipe and goes again. Looking forward to the next computer craft release. Turtles will directly access chests and use more tools than just the pickaxe. One of the new tools is a diamond sword. I'm going to use turtles to dig out a big underground area and then deploy my turtle soldiers to kill mobs making it a completely computercraft driven mob grinder.

I've only used BC pipes until recently and damn RP tubes are so much easier to work with not to mention faster. They cost more, but are worth it most of the time for me. Getting stuff ready to start up my first frame. Idea I have is to use a really long frame to grab and pull blocks to block destroyers rather than inch along the whole construction. Goal is to make something easy to pack up and deploy somewhere else.

Computercraft's turtles are stupid powerful due to price and control (considering you're a decent LUA scripter). Just a few lines of code and I have something that digs out levels 10-15, then returns to dump everything in a filter/woodpipe and goes again. Looking forward to the next computer craft release. Turtles will directly access chests and use more tools than just the pickaxe. One of the new tools is a diamond sword. I'm going to use turtles to dig out a big underground area and then deploy my turtle soldiers to kill mobs making it a completely computercraft driven mob grinder.

Some nice ideas with the mob grinder. I may have to try that though I personally never saw the point in the sword turtle. Mainly because turtles still won't be able to track mobs and even if they could the mob can walk diagonally faster than the turtle can go 'forward, left, forward, right' So for a decent mob grinder you'll need a whole line of sword turtle so the mobs can't escape. In my opinion it's just not worth it. There are much better ways to kill mobs off than using 2*n diamonds, where n is the width of the dark room. However, I have to agree. Turtles are very very overpowered for there cost xD Like for the quarry it can go 100x faster than a bc quarry and it doesn't even run off a redstone engine AND it's cheaper!

Some nice ideas with the mob grinder. I may have to try that though I personally never saw the point in the sword turtle. Mainly because turtles still won't be able to track mobs and even if they could the mob can walk diagonally faster than the turtle can go 'forward, left, forward, right' So for a decent mob grinder you'll need a whole line of sword turtle so the mobs can't escape. In my opinion it's just not worth it. There are much better ways to kill mobs off than using 2*n diamonds, where n is the width of the dark room. However, I have to agree. Turtles are very very overpowered for there cost xD Like for the quarry it can go 100x faster than a bc quarry and it doesn't even run off a redstone engine AND it's cheaper!

I was planning on having turtles in a grid and each one could patrol a 16x16 area in a spiral pattern or criss cross pattern.

It won't be efficient, but it should be fun. :)

Was thinking of doing a redpower frame trap for fun too now that I understand it a bit better. Think trash compactors from Star Wars.

Will that be efficient? Probably not, but it will be fun to watch.

Will hostiles spawn on pressure plates?

Just wondering, because you could cover a 16x16 chunk with pressure plates and use the colored redpower wires to divide it into 16 rows fed into a wireless enabled computer. Have the computer watch for a signal on each of the colors and dispatch a wireless fighting turtle to go run through the row showing a signal.

Will hostiles spawn on pressure plates?

Just wondering, because you could cover a 16x16 chunk with pressure plates and use the colored redpower wires to divide it into 16 rows fed into a wireless enabled computer. Have the computer watch for a signal on each of the colors and dispatch a wireless fighting turtle to go run through the row showing a signal.

Thats a good idea! I think there are some mob/creature/player detectors coming in Technic 7 that might do this as well, those I might be able to install in the ceiling.

I generally now avoid BC in favor of RP equipment. Especially on tekkit, Buildcraft stuff can too easily lag out a server if a machine starts dropping tons of items due to pipes not checking for available inventory space. Now that there is an ATC replacement, you can pretty do any factory stuff purely with RP.

The only thing I still use BC for is the filler as it's very effective for clearing land and throwing up basic structures. I want to mess with the builder and blueprints this time around, too.