Ideas on scary pc/console games?

rhibakuska

so, after a couple of technic "SSSSS.. a creeper suddenly appeared" moments, i decided to take a little break by playing horror games, i started with Dead Space 1&2, then Dead Island, Peneumbra, Siren, and the oh-so-F*** Amnesia: Dark Descent. and finished all of those.. and thus, i want to scream... erm.. play more.. so any idea on what horror games are the best? Old School games are also welcome. thanks!

There are only two games that have ever actually scared me, and in both of them it was just small sections of a larger not-scary game. These are the Ocean House level of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and the orphanage level of Thief: Deadly Shadows.

There are only two games that have ever actually scared me, and in both of them it was just small sections of a larger not-scary game. These are the Ocean House level of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and the orphanage level of Thief: Deadly Shadows.

what platform are those? :D

Half-life 2 actually made me jump several times, until you get used to certain enemies.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "scary" game, even though the stalkers really ARE awfully creepy.

On my side, I'd say Resident Evil 1 has some good moments. On the other hand, I was pretty disappointed with the fifth, for the atmosphere. It's pretty saddening that Capcom chose the "Mainstream TPS Action" path, when the series had amazing potential.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "scary" game, even though the stalkers really ARE awfully creepy.

On my side, I'd say Resident Evil 1 has some good moments. On the other hand, I was pretty disappointed with the fifth, for the atmosphere. It's pretty saddening that Capcom chose the "Mainstream TPS Action" path, when the series had amazing potential.

well, what i'm looking for are the games that will, make your heart race for most of the time, like "oh, crap. i'm so screwed"

Older games? Try Clive Barker's Undying.

i've researched it, thanks bro!

well, what i'm looking for are the games that will, make your heart race for most of the time, like "oh, crap. i'm so screwed"

i've researched it, thanks bro!

If it's the "oh crap I'm screwed" feeling you're looking for, just wait until you're in the catacombs, fighting skeletons, and you run out of bullets. Play in the dark with the sound up.

Amnesia was incredibly well done, but I could just grit my teeth and get through it, same with Slender.

It all comes down to atmosphere, and the 'oh, this is it, I'm done for' feeling is pretty hard to achieve, but impossibly effective.

Containment Breach was excellent with that. 087-B is based on the stories in SCP as well, and is very effective. http://scpcb.wordpress.com/scp-087-b/

Silent Hill two is the best in it's series by far.

Condemned : Criminal Origins was very nicely done indeed, but I'm tempting fate here (you so pussy dat game wasnt scary)

Finally, System Shock II. You have to play this game. They even made an optional patch to remove some of the enemies, because people couldn't man up and face them.

Slender. Amnesia doesn't do it for me but slender is small and simple.

yeah, and i think it's still on Alpha? now i'm really curious what will the game be when it's finished XD

SCP ._. that feeling that something is following you and cramming up to get away. hell. ~_~

i also enjoyed Condemned: Criminal Origins. i like the "searching for clues" thing and how FREAKING rare the guns are.

thanks for the tip about system shock II, can i turn off all the mobs? XD

So uh, i may be a wimp in this area, but F.E.A.R. Scared the crap out of me on multiple occasions. to the point where i had to revert to an old save once, because i emptied all my ammo into something that wasn't even there, and couldn't complete the mission.