Minecraft 1.3.1

Mhyreade

Our version of the game still says 1.2.5. Is that just because Mods aren't updated yet? If so how will we know when everything is ready. We're new to Tekkit and are not sure if there's something we should be doing or if it's just a matter of waiting.

We're new to Tekkit and are not sure if there's something we should be doing or if it's just a matter of waiting.

I'm not new to Tekkit, and I'm sure it IS a matter of waiting. Don't go around including me in your groups.

Most of the modders don't code for Bukkit, though they generally do allow others to port the mods to it. There are very few who actually make their mods compatible with Bukkit themselves.

what else would they code it for then for smp? since 1.3+ is smp compatible mods only you'd think something would bring bukkit into the mix for compatibility. Does mojang provide a server engine?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a fiasco like last time with too many minor releases before 1.4 pissing off modders. Why do you think it took bloody ages for Technic 7 to come out? Count your lucky stars the modders even felt like working after having to start over that many times in that short a span.

Now, a bunch of modders who have never touched SMP are forced to learn it or quit modding entirely. Rocky roads are ahead of us.

Become a modder is like starting a game company, whenever a new console comes out u gotta start making games for it instead of games for the old console, as in whenever a new update comes out u have to code a version that works. So tough on the modders i can imagine

The vanilla server provided by Mojang...?

I didn't realize they had one honestly. I just simply started with bukkit for my server. Dare I ask then why bukkit exists if there's a provided server from the maker? And since the gang at bukkit joined forces with mojang, won't those two servers become one at some point?

Because the Mojang stock server is about as shit-boring and weak as the Mojang stock client, genius. And they did not "join forces": They're simply working a little bit together here and there, and it doesn't seem like Mojang is really listening to what Bukkit has to say.

Because the Mojang stock server is about as shit-boring and weak as the Mojang stock client, genius. And they did not "join forces": They're simply working a little bit together here and there, and it doesn't seem like Mojang is really listening to what Bukkit has to say.

are we in a pissy mood?

Mojang HIRED people that worked on the bukkit server. It's been a few months now. So yes, some of the people still working on bukkit are now in fact mojang employees. You don't get much more "joining forces" than that.

Anyway, that wasn't really my point. Is the vanilla server provided by mojang not capable of being modded as easily as bukkit is? If not, again its back to my original point of why the majority of modders don't make their mods compatible with bukkit in the first place?

This of course comes back full circle to the MC1.3 and SMP compatible mandate it brings. If the modders continue to mod and the mods would work henceforth on the vanilla server as a result of 1.3, would that single the end of the need for bukkit?

Is the vanilla server provided by mojang not capable of being modded as easily as bukkit is?

No.

why the majority of modders don't make their mods compatible with bukkit in the first place

Getting UN ambassadors to come to a concensus is easier than getting Minecraft modders to do the same.

If the modders continue to mod and the mods would work henceforth on the vanilla server as a result of 1.3, would that single the end of the need for bukkit?

Bukkit still provides a craptonne of value above the vanilla engine, so no.

Right now, mods are SSP, or they are SMP vanilla, or they are SMP Bukkit. In 1.3, mods are SMP vanilla or they are SMP Bukkit. From 3 to 2 options is still an improvement, but not as much as you think. The big benefit will be the elimination of the dual Technic/Tekkit model into one main Technic (or Tekkit, or Sparklefarts, whatever they call it) pack.