Mystcraft And Ender Storage arent very nice to eachother

NicoA.D.

I've not heard him say much on the subject. If I recall during the Q-Tubers charity stream Notch asked him if he had used it, and he didn't say much.

I suspect he's staying out of it, because he likes certain mod authours, but certain mod authours are also kinda dicks, so it's a messy as anything position to take which could tear his sub base in half.

I don't remember what video it was on, but I know I saw him comment about how he doesn't support Technic and mod packs (this was at least a year ago; I don't know his stance on mod packs now, but I'd be willing to bet he still doesn't support Technic).

Dire is one of those guys who always tries to make everybody happy and always wants everybody to like him. He avoids stepping on toes, is frequently self-deprecating, and is overall what some people (not I) would call "a pussy" (but in reality is just being really careful to not upset anyone).

That's my impression of him: A stable guy who stays out of trouble by any means. And Technic certainly stands in its fair puddle of trouble, though we have thigh-high waders so we really don't worry about it too much.

• Forum Administrators

That's my impression of him: A stable guy who stays out of trouble by any means. And Technic certainly stands in its fair puddle of trouble, though we have thigh-high waders so we really don't worry about it too much.

I always got the impression that he either he truly 'hates' Technic or he is just pandering to that sub-set of the community. Either way, he's being dishonest somewhere because he'll simultaneously deride "illegal modpacks" (without saying names of course) but tag his videos with "tekkit" and "technic". I suppose he is all about the money above all else, but it really rustles my jimmies when people are lazily dishonest about things.

Maybe Direwolf isn't popular enough and is afraid of alienating his group that watches him. His loss, the Tekkit videos the Yogscast are doing right now are the most popular ones they are doing, even beating out their Shadows of Israphel series.

The problem that guy has is he can't say anything either way, just /tagging/ it is enough to cause the usual comment wars, he relies /hevely/ on his connection with the mod authours to get his content (his SMP playthorugh for example). It would be like Total Busicut pissing off every inde dev, or the yogscast stopping doing minecraft entirely. It's not going to happon because they would lose their fans and revenue.

I do have to disagree it's to his loss to not do tekkit, he's doing all the mods in tekkit and then some, the very basis of his main series is tekkit and more. And I'm pritty sure it was the same before all the tekkit hate went nuts.

I'd love to know what he really thinks. But he's been /very/ good at not saying /much/ either way. I have to give him some credit for managing not to make a bad situation worse without pissing off the mod authours or his fanbase. (You should of seen them during the charity livestream, there were just a billion people spamming 'stop asking already it's not tekkit'... when no one ever asked. So meny sheep and people without their own opinions *shudders*)

Either way, the guy's videos result in a /lot/ of extra tekkit players, and help a lot intoducing some of the mods. Which is always nice <3.

Heck, the biggest argument I give for tekkit is 'Direwolf20 has put the instructions for isntalling his pack, with no problems it's a couple hours+ easly of downloads, adfly links, checking for issues, as you try to download and install 60+ downloads individualy. Or you can spend 5 mins downloading tekkit for 90% of the content.

It summeries nicely the reality of 'how hard' it is to download install and get the correct compatability of that meny mods. It's time consuming at the very least.

More comments = better search ranking for videos. For him, getting people to argue with each other in the comments is a good thing. It's the same reason many reviewers and "vloggers" engage in nerdbaiting. ForceStrategy is known for this, though he seems to usually do it in ways that are funny instead of insulting.

Adding tekkit/technic tags to the video not only causes discussion (which is good for him) but also pulls in people who weren't actually searching for his videos at all (which is good for him). It's possible to get a video taken down due to intentional mistagging, but it takes a fuckton of reports for that to happen, and is really done only in the most egregious of cases. (Just look how long it took them to remove the "reply girls", and they're back already.)

Either way, the guy's videos result in a /lot/ of extra tekkit players, and help a lot intoducing some of the mods. Which is always nice <3.

While I can see someone giving people actual knowledge of the mods and how to use them as being nice, a lot of a new Technic/Tekkit players is not always a good thing, in my (Not quite so) humble opinion. Sure, you get a lot of good nice people brought in from this, but you also get the not-so-good and people who'd gladly flood the Forums and/or Questions.

Wow, this went from mystcraft and enderstorage to questioning direwolf20's positon in the modding community... O.o

The power of forums!

it's like the law of Murphy. If there is a defined subject, all the Universe will use it's gravity to bend the discussion into an off-topic.

I suspect it's the alert system that aids it. I had to go check what the thread title was because frankly I'm just tab opening and replaying to threads I'm following ^^'

And Direwolfs poisiton is an enigma thats kinda intresting when you consider it. More so then whatever this thread was about ^^'

Since Direwolf20 uses many of the same mods that are part of the Technic / Tekkit package it would seem to make sense to me to tag his videos with those terms. His process of having the user do the work of downloading (thereby avoiding issues with rights to use the mods) and then helping them with the configs necessary to make them play together nicely seems to work for many people. Apparently some people need to just download an installer and hit one button to be able to play a game.

• Forum Administrators

Since Direwolf20 uses many of the same mods that are part of the Technic / Tekkit package it would seem to make sense to me to tag his videos with those terms. His process of having the user do the work of downloading (thereby avoiding issues with rights to use the mods) and then helping them with the configs necessary to make them play together nicely seems to work for many people. Apparently some people need to just download an installer and hit one button to be able to play a game.

It's clear you are quite the fan of Direwolf20 since that's the only thing you are talking about. Also you don't seem too keen on Technic considering your ~slight~ negative, uh, tone, I guess. It's pretty not-subtle passive aggressive.

Direwolf has a good thing going, and is unique in the respect that he sort of takes explaining mods seriously and he kind of is like a dad figure. I am simply pointing out the fact that he seems very open about 'those illegal modpacks' but is willing to tag his videos with those tags anyway in hopes of drawing more views. Claim something is bad, yet profit off of the traffic it brings. To me it seems like he keeps that attitude to keep on everyone's good graces, and that's fine. I'm just pointing out the less-than-honest approach.

Also, we don't need Direwolf bring us more traffic, we appreciate it sure, but the Yogscast and every kid in the world seemingly doing some sort of youtube lets play whatever.

. I suppose he is all about the money above all else, but it really rustles my jimmies when people are lazily dishonest about things.

Eh, as far as I know, he dosn't run advertisements on his videos, and neither does he even have a donation link in his let's play thread.

I honestly think Direwolf is a simple man who just wants to stay out of trouble and enjoy minecraft.

If I recall during the Q-Tubers charity stream Notch asked him if he had used it, and he didn't say much.

Does anyone have a link to this?

Dire gets patted on the back and gets invited to the parties, but at the end of the day, the Yogscast renders him irrelevant. I like his consistency and attention to detail, but he is not enough of a force to worry this much about.

Well, dw doesn't have the sub numbers of the yogscast by any stretch, but he has lots of influence with the modders.

He's a convenient representative of "the people who use the mods" because he's experienced enough to be able to file useful bug reports, but not experienced enough to talk to them on a technical level. It probably helps to keep them sane, to deal with Direwolf instead of the masses of little boys and girls.