FTL: Faster Than Light

Pulse95

Can't-stop-playing, I have been up for 15 hours playing it straight. When I close my eyes all I can see is the game. I'm convinced they added visual shrooms to the game. oh-no, that voice in my head... What does it say? It is telling me to play more FTL; I must obey! This game may end with me in an insane asylum.

If your having hull problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a breach ain't one!

So I bought the game, played through the tutorial, and got started. Everything was going great until I went into a system with solar flares.

Everything did not CATCH fire. No, no, everything WAS fire. I ended up ragequitting about 5 seconds before my last guy died in a fire while suffocating because I panicked and turned the oxygen off and it STILL didn't get rid of the inexplicable fires.

Yeah, the solar flares are annoying but the easiest solution is to drain the whole ship of oxygen by opening certain doors except the rooms you have people in. The Rock people are especially handy for putting out fires.

I did. The oxygen was only in the rooms with people, and the fires were only in the rooms with oxygen.

You have to vent out the fires via airlock, even if that means leading a path for air to exit the ship. Never turn off oxygen to the ship. It the case of the rock cruiser, which has no airlocks, you have to use the rock people to put it all out. You can also trap fires in a room if you have a good door control sub-system and they will eventually go out on their own even with oxygen on.

I had an idea for a strategy once, but was never able to put it into play. You'd have to acquire 3 ion blast IIs, which shouldn't be hard if you use the engi cruiser. Then, you just auto fire them on weapons, shields and oxygen, one for each. Bam, dead crew, intact ship!

You have to vent out the fires via airlock, even if that means leading a path for air to exit the ship. Never turn off oxygen to the ship. It the case of the rock cruiser, which has no airlocks, you have to use the rock people to put it all out. You can also trap fires in a room if you have a good door control sub-system and they will eventually go out on their own even with oxygen on.

But the only air was in the rooms with people, and even if I let the air out, the fires would just come back as soon as I let the air come back on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eh, the permadeath has put me off getting the game, but I might eventually some day. Especially since there are modding tools, there might be a way to mod it out later. I just remember my time with Angband back in the day, where practically the first thing I did was edited permadeath out of the source. It just isn't fun to me in any way.