How does the warning system work?

wastipk

I'm sure there is a thread explaining it somewhere, but I can't find it -.-

Basically when I got this lovely avatar, it said "user was warned for this post", yet I never recieved any messages saying I've been warned, where do I find that?

Its not such a big deal for me, but I saw this guys thread, hes obviously new and he quadruple (or more) posted, on his first double post it said user was warned.

Anyway my point is, instead of just sticking a thing on the top of their post, why not send them a message fully explaining what the warning was for and how not to do it again, because with this guy its obvious he doesn't know what double posting is (some people don't use forums often and don't know these things) so just marking his post with "user was warned" didn't stop him.

Also, unrelated but what happens when you ignore someone? Can they reply to threads you made still?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That message was the warning. And we don't have the time to manually message every user we warn, I could hand out a hundred warnings in a day, I can't compose a reason for each and every one of those people, especially when the information is all available in the rules section.

And when someone is on your ignore list, they can't private message you and their posts are hidden from you I think.

That message was the warning. And we don't have the time to manually message every user we warn, I could hand out a hundred warnings in a day, I can't compose a reason for each and every one of those people, especially when the information is all available in the rules section.

And when someone is on your ignore list, they can't private message you and their posts are hidden from you I think.

Do users get an alert when they are warned?

• Moderators

So THAT is why Kaker doesn't notice me trolling him!

Jorcer, could you hack his ignore list?

From what I've heard, they don't. I think it's for the best anyways. If you find yourself with a Keller status, maybe it's time to do some reflection and see which mistakes you've made - follow the trail of warnings until you come to the revelation that you're an idiot and you need to improve yourself for the future.

Besides, it would put everything in context for the user, like, hey, I was a total dickbag here. I didn't mean to... I just so fired up - I need to learn for the future, as opposed to, oh, I was a dickbag huh? Where? Show me you jackass mod! U don evn kno how 2 mod!!@! Y do u h8 mi?!????!?!!?

From what I've heard, they don't. I think it's for the best anyways. If you find yourself with a Keller status, maybe it's time to do some reflection and see which mistakes you've made - follow the trail of warnings until you come to the revelation that you're an idiot and you need to improve yourself for the future.

Besides, it would put everything in context for the user, like, hey, I was a total dickbag here. I didn't mean to... I just so fired up - I need to learn for the future, as opposed to, oh, I was a dickbag huh? Where? Show me you jackass mod! U don evn kno how 2 mod!!@! Y do u h8 mi?!????!?!!?

...Well that degraded quickly. Is there anything you want to tell us about your childhood? Repressed memories. It might explain why you only wear trenchcoats, regardless of the weather.

It either depends, or changed recently. I've had a few people who were warned for "inappropriate behavior" reply to auto-generated PMs from me recently, trying to play rules lawyer. Either the inappropriate behavior warning comes with a PM, or an autoPM was implemented recently.

...Well that degraded quickly. Is there anything you want to tell us about your childhood? Repressed memories. It might explain why you only wear trenchcoats, regardless of the weather.

I wear a trenchcoat with matching fedora, gloves, slacks, bulletproof vest (Under the trenchcoat) and dress shoes regardless of the weather, time, date, current company, or activity. It's all or nothing - unless someone somehow steals or ruins one of the pieces. Then I'm angry.

...And you thought the green Hulk was bad when he was angry...

It either depends, or changed recently. I've had a few people who were warned for "inappropriate behavior" reply to auto-generated PMs from me recently, trying to play rules lawyer. Either the inappropriate behavior warning comes with a PM, or an autoPM was implemented recently.

Some warnings generate a PM, there's a tab for them on the warning screen. I disable them.

• Moderators

Sounds like your not sure how the system currently works...

Doesnt Kaker throw a know-how meeting with you and your fellow moderators and explain these things?

the auto-PM was implemented a little bit ago for a select few types of warnings.

in general though, the "user was warned for this post: <stuff>" thing at the top of a post IS your reason. if there isn't one, sometimes a mod has replied and given one. sometimes we are busy and/or lazy and don't feel like spelling it out to a person as well. the rules are not very complex and it's pretty easy to figure out why someone was warned or kellered.

• Moderators

This is quite interesting...

So, is it true that there is a section hidden from public view, a Admin/moderator section?

I heard that you lay all your evil Illuminati plans there, then force them on the community!!!

No, seriously, is there?

Edit. I know it exists! That is why it says "performing moderation duties" on your latest activity! What are you hiding???

super secret mod stuff

It seems like we've been learning a lot more about "super secret mod stuff" recently.

The screen we use to distribute warning points. It contains a list of stock warnings, and we can create custom ones, it also allows us to delete a post, post the warning and send a PM to the member.

Ooh, that sounds interesting.

This is quite interesting...

So, is it true that there is a section hidden from public view, a Admin/moderator section?

I heard that you lay all your evil Illuminati plans there, then force them on the community!!!

No, seriously, is there?

Edit. I know it exists! That is why it says "performing moderation duties" on your latest activity! What are you hiding???

I've stated before, we have a staff only board where we discuss such enthralling matters as new server guidelines and general forum rules, and "Performing Moderation Duties" means I was distributing warning points. You'll see that on my page a hell of a lot if you bother to check.

I've stated before, we have a staff only board where we discuss such enthralling matters as new server guidelines and general forum rules, and "Performing Moderation Duties" means I was distributing warning points. You'll see that on my page a hell of a lot if you bother to check.

I always check what you guys are up to... Don't take that the wrong way.

• Moderators

I've stated before, we have a staff only board where we discuss such enthralling matters as new server guidelines and general forum rules,

Oh, must have missed that post...

"Performing Moderation Duties" means I was distributing warning points. You'll see that on my page a hell of a lot if you bother to check.

I dont need to check it, I can sense it. It tingles off my troll senses

It's funny that Sct is watching this thread so intensely... perhaps he didn't know how the warning system worked? :)

He is learning now :) I always wonder what the mods and admins are doing when they are looking at threads for long periods of time without posting (especially if it is a shorter thread)