1.4 pre is out

Silent

I've been playing another modpack lately because as far as I can tell, Technic only updates once all mods are ready.

I understand that EE3 is still going to take time and I don't know where RP2 is at, so I'm assuming we'll only be ready by 1.4?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing another modpack lately because as far as I can tell, Technic only updates once all mods are ready.

I understand that EE3 is still going to take time and I don't know where RP2 is at, so I'm assuming we'll only be ready by 1.4?

If this is a roundabout way of asking for an ETA, get bent. Otherwise, it really depends on what the modders do.

The way it works is this. First, Minecraft updates. Then, MCP updates 1-2 weeks later. Then Forge updates 1-2 weeks after that. Then, the mods update 1-3 months after that. Then the modpacks update. And I don't know how long it takes to update the modpack, but I'm going to assume it takes between a week and a month.

The way it works is this. First, Minecraft updates. Then, MCP updates 1-2 weeks later. Then Forge updates 1-2 weeks after that. Then, the mods update 1-3 months after that. Then the modpacks update. And I don't know how long it takes to update the modpack, but I'm going to assume it takes between a week and a month.

And somewhere in there, Minecraft updates just enough to fuck up the mods...

There's another complication in that the MCPC guys are completely reworking how mods and Bukkit work, making Bukkit a Forge mod under the vanilla server instead. The advantage is that (I think) mods will no longer have to go through another port-to-Bukkit stage, but who knows how long it'll take them to get it all working.

There's another complication in that the MCPC guys are completely reworking how mods and Bukkit work, making Bukkit a Forge mod under the vanilla server instead. The advantage is that (I think) mods will no longer have to go through another port-to-Bukkit stage, but who knows how long it'll take them to get it all working.

Well, that's good.

First, Minecraft updates. Then, MCP updates 1-2 weeks later.

The fuck is this? SInce mid-1.2, MCP is updated hours after Minecraft releases, and a good bit of the time, there's a working version even before the actual release, with only obfuscation alterations upon final recompilation.

The fuck is this? SInce mid-1.2, MCP is updated hours after Minecraft releases, and a good bit of the time, there's a working version even before the actual release, with only obfuscation alterations upon final recompilation.

You just Moddered son! haha

Derp. I'm silly. I forgot that MCP doesn't rely on Minecraft code. It's a decompiler, not an API. I forgot.

I said that already, didn't I? I thought that by saying "First, Minecraft updates." it was implied that the update fucked things up?

I think he means Minecraft updates again in between the other steps. Like a "1.4.2" or something. Which slows things down even further.

Anyway, OP, what modpack are you currently using?

Nothing wrong with 1.2.5. It's a good solid build and I don't know why anyone is in such a crotch grabbing paniced hurry to update every time a new minecraft version drops. I have found that for a long time now, most of the new updates have barely been worth a new version number. I don't blame some modders for ignoring half of them. There are some nice little new things added sure and over time there have been some solid changes like the height increase and jungle biomes, but nothing that outweighs all the content added by the mods in the pack.

Nothing wrong with 1.2.5. It's a good solid build and I don't know why anyone is in such a crotch grabbing paniced hurry to update every time a new minecraft version drops. I have found that for a long time now, most of the new updates have barely been worth a new version number. I don't blame some modders for ignoring half of them. There are some nice little new things added sure and over time there have been some solid changes like the height increase and jungle biomes, but nothing that outweighs all the content added by the mods in the pack.

Main thing I love about Vanilla 1.3: Being able to recover from drowning. Oh god, it's so small, but so big... Also the CPU usage on a dual core seems a lot better in 1.3 than in 1.2.5, so there's that. 1.4 though, that one I don't care about much. It's mostly improvements for adventure maps from what I've seen, and some minor aesthetic stuff.

Anyway, mods are keeping up with the times and all new versions are on 1.3, and there's some really good additions such as being able to use Buildcraft 3 in SMP... That mod is so much better when you have the version 3 additions (and logistics pipes!)

Main thing I love about Vanilla 1.3: Being able to recover from drowning. Oh god, it's so small, but so big... Also the CPU usage on a dual core seems a lot better in 1.3 than in 1.2.5, so there's that. 1.4 though, that one I don't care about much. It's mostly improvements for adventure maps from what I've seen, and some minor aesthetic stuff.

Anyway, mods are keeping up with the times and all new versions are on 1.3, and there's some really good additions such as being able to use Buildcraft 3 in SMP... That mod is so much better when you have the version 3 additions (and logistics pipes!)

Emphasis mine.

Where the hell have you been? There are a ton of mods not updated for 1.3 yet. Too name just a few, there's Thaumcraft, Equivalent Exchange, and Red Power. Not a single one of those mods, as well as dozens of others, has updated to 1.3 yet.

Emphasis mine.

Where the hell have you been? There are a ton of mods not updated for 1.3 yet. Too name just a few, there's Thaumcraft, Equivalent Exchange, and Red Power. Not a single one of those mods, as well as dozens of others, has updated to 1.3 yet.

Indeed, that's what we're waiting for :D From what I've gathered redpower should be out very soon. And at that point, I feel the pros of 1.3 outweigh the cons.

Nothing wrong with 1.2.5. It's a good solid build and I don't know why anyone is in such a crotch grabbing paniced hurry to update every time a new minecraft version drops.

Well, the forced merge is a good thing in my opinion, even if handled poorly, because loading more than one dimension at once has been something I've desperately wanted for a long time. It actually got to the point that playing 1.2.5 was physically unpleasant to me, because I could feel that cross-dimensional loading just around the corner.

Other than that, it's not really the Minecraft version that makes a lot want to update, but the Forge version. Minecraft Forge (and FML) have ripped apart the Vanilla code and sewn it back together with cyborg parts like a cross between Wolverine and the $6mil man. I'm very close to wanting to have LexManos's babies. They even hooked it so you can easily draw a custom selection outline around your block, so you're not limited to Minecraft's simple AABB model anymore.

Redpower is close to release. It has a chance of beating 1.4 (a significant but very low chance) to release, as it seems fairly stable (from the livestreams I have watched). It is taking so long to update probably because it is a very complex mod which does complex things, so the large changes in 1.3 caused lots of problems.

Both Thaumcraft and EE are being redesigned and rebuilt so that they are significantly different from their previous versions. The chance of them coming before 1.4 are 0.

I don't see how a release can be based on 1.3.2. The update to 1.4 will be much quicker than the jump to 1.3.2, making 1.4 a possible base for a release.

I have moved on to a custom modded 1.3.2 and am enjoying the hoppers, giant tanks and multiplayer mystcraft portals (with the "Open to LAN" feature). However, I do miss redpower.

Yes, the chance of a 1.3 base is near zero, unless all the major modders were to say "screw this" and stick to 1.3 out of frustration until 1.4 is mature. Considering Forge just finalized their line and is already switched to 1.4, it's more likely they'll all jump on 1.4 immediately and 1.3 will be just like 1.2.3 was, skipped over because it came too fast.