1.4 pre is out

Silent

So I'm fond of third-tier programming languages. :P At least I got a decent grasp of C#, the bastard child of Java and C.

At least I learned coding standards and practices from someone who worked in the industry.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 1.4 comes out in 2 days, do you think I stop working on development of my mod and wait until Forge updates, or keep working on development and then try porting it over to 1.4 when Forge does update?

MCP and Forge are already updated for 1.4, though it looks like Forge's jenkins system may be down right now

Whatever mojang says about it being for server owners to get ready, the pre-release a week early is so that MCP and forge can update as fast as possible.

I'm betting that the major mods that are released for 1.3 will be updated within the week.

And I'm hoping that redpower is not far behind.

Whatever mojang says about it being for server owners to get ready, the pre-release a week early is so that MCP and forge can update as fast as possible.

Except that the flat out say that it is "intended to prepare server admins and mod makers. Searge of the Minecraft Coder Pack has already been informed, as usual." I would directly link the blog post, but now Mojang's site appears to have broken the permalinks. It is the first post on the main blog, here --> http://www.mojang.com/

Nope. I assumed it would take them awhile to update. I guess I can start work on 1.4 version before 1.4 comes out. Also, I didn't even know they had a github.

Github is here https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge

Jenkins (build system) is here, whenever their system comes back up http://jenkins.minecraftforge.net/job/forge/

EDIT - Fixed address

I just love how there's a small whisper of an update and people start threads going "ARE WE THERE YET? ARE WE THERE YET? ARE WE THERE YET?".

It's still the same game. It's still on the PC. It's still blocky and beautiful. There will be tweaks and there will be minor improvements, but what's wrong with the one we've got now?

And like that, 1.4.1 has been pre-released with some last minute bug fixes. http://www.mojang.com/2012/10/minecraft-1-4-1-pre-release/

They've also gone ahead and bumped the release date to Thursday.

No worries for the modders out there, Searge is already on the case!

And like that, 1.4.1 has been pre-released with some last minute bug fixes. http://www.mojang.com/2012/10/minecraft-1-4-1-pre-release/

They've also gone ahead and bumped the release date to Thursday.

No worries for the modders out there, Searge is already on the case!

Perfect. My plan to have a massive GreenWolf Report on the 1.4 update instead of two reports will still work.

So have they done any of these optimizations they promised, or am I going to be playing 1.2.5 forever?

Well there are a lot of bug fixes, and Jeb has optimized the code somewhat to reduce lag. I'd say that in terms of buggyness and lag, 1.4 is slightly better (it has less bugs/lag) than 13.2, and much better than 1.2.5

Minecraft.exe has an option? Huh. I seemed to recall it just updating without input last time

Grab a new version of the exe from minecraft.net.

Also, if you're running your own mod installs, you should probably be using a custom (better?) launcher/organizer like MultiMC. A lot easier to manage things, and it will by default, not update minecraft unless you tell it to.

Grab a new version of the exe from minecraft.net.

Also, if you're running your own mod installs, you should probably be using a custom (better?) launcher/organizer like MultiMC. A lot easier to manage things, and it will by default, not update minecraft unless you tell it to.

I tried porting over to multiMC but for some reason it gave me much worse fps than I get with the default minecraft directory...

Considering MultiMC doesn't even alter Minecraft at all, you've obviously done something wrong.

Also, the "don't always force update" vanilla launcher has existed since Beta 1.3, have people REALLY still been using the old one?

I think it still forces if it thinks something is corrupt, which could have been my problem with the auto-update. I was using an older launcher, but not THAT old.

As for MultiMC, I dunno what the problem was, but it works fine with the normal launcher so I haven't picked at it.

edit: decided to give it another go and its working better now. No idea what its problem was before o.O