New computer for tekkit!

Stop mocking me0

what you think the UK gov would use the best computer hardware for there offices lol no they use the cheapest like any other office, and if you cant tell the difference between a Dell Server wich is not bad but not good, or a Desktop, or cant even tell the difference between a the two I7 or know anything about Cas to RAS latency ErusPrime is right stop pretending to be TECH or I.T Pro, to me your one of those guys in the industry in it for the money.

fair point so if you had to pick a rebuild computer and laptop what would you pick. and you are right with dell servers not to fond of them better off building one as rebuild are way over priced

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minecraft appropriated the Standard Galactic Alphabet from Commander Keen.

If you have not played commander keen you are a soulless beast for which I have no time.

no i have not played it but might try it if it works on windows 7 with dos emu unless it is worth £2.99 from steam

Fizzy, you should try the Edit button next time to prevent multi posting. Also, you can quote multiple times in the same post so you might want to try that too.

Multi posting bugs me too .-.

Not as bad as no commas, full stops or punctuation etc., because that actually hurts...

no i have not played it but might try it if it works on windows 7 with dos emu unless it is worth £2.99 from steam

Steam has the entire series (5 games) for $4.99 (don't know how much in £), and that will probably take...we'll just say quite a few hours to play through.

Steam has the entire series (5 games) for $4.99 (don't know how much in £), and that will probably take...we'll just say quite a few hours to play through.

sorry that £2.99 was for the complete pack thought it was for one, I will try it out this weekend

Oh my god, it's THAT game series! I remember playing it on my granddads old PC some 10 years ago :D

My first game, finally this 17yo can have some nostalgia :D

I was more into the x-com series. and i am 25 if that was to me.

Oh my god, it's THAT game series! I remember playing it on my granddads old PC some 10 years ago :D

My first game, finally this 17yo can have some nostalgia :D

http://theboombot.com/dos/DOS%20Collection%20A%20to%20D%20%28Memories%20Project%29%20Part%201%20of%204/

here you go. just search for "commander keen" there's some shareware and the full series in there.

It wasn't directed at anyone specific. Also, I think 9yo me would have had a hard time with xcom :P

ye I must say x-com was not an easy game when I was younger.

http://theboombot.com/dos/DOS Collection A to D (Memories Project) Part 1 of 4/

here you go. just search for "commander keen" there's some shareware and the full series in there.

I will get from steam saves me messing about with dosbox. :)

Is that legal though?

probably not. You can always get it on steam. I'm a member of the memories project though. You won't find a lot of the old DOS games anywhere but in that collection. A large portion of which were from my old floppies. and by floppy I mean 5.25"

probably not. You can always get it on steam. I'm a member of the memories project though. You won't find a lot of the old DOS games anywhere but in that collection. A large portion of which were from my old floppies. and by floppy I mean 5.25"

the almost unbreakable floppy i have frogger and simant on them :)

...This thread. So much derp and sperg.

"I iz I. T. I haz CompTIA A+++++ certficayshun."

Guess what, a certification means nothing without knowledge behind it. I have no certifications and no engineering background, but I can tell you from practical experience that the majority of prebuilt desktops are either horribly underpowered and shoddily built (but affordable), or decently powered, horribly overpriced, and still shoddily built. Even the better quality, custom built-to-order shop like Falcon Northwest are STILL ludicrously expensive. I have a $2k "dream build" sitting on PCPartPicker. An equivalent build by Falcon NW is something like two to three times as expensive.

All this fighting over qualifications and whether a certain prebuilt manufacturer is good or not is unintelligent and immature.

Half the reason I'm rarely on this forum is the sheer inability of 90% of the users to disagree with people without resorting to personal attacks.

nope lol, do you coz i am sure it is not all in caps

Let me correct that for you: "No, I do not, haha. Do you? Because if you do, I doubt you always shout."

And the fact that you did not catch that extremely well known popular culture reference saddens me greatly.

Let me correct that for you: "No, I do not, haha. Do you? Because if you do, I doubt you always shout."

And the fact that you did not catch that extremely well known popular culture reference saddens me greatly.

Just looked it up I have not watched that in a long time.

Wat. MC is CPU intensive, but trust me, no.

An i3 is fine for minecraft. You want a good graphics card, really.

No, don't.

Dells are shit, don't get them.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

or even better 1 yotabyte 3d full hd and 3d 90000000 fps computers

(yotabytes being higest byte known to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yotta-)

Might not trust Wikipedia that much.

(P.S. I have looked at that link before. I know all of them up to terabyte are correct.)

actually we're reaching the limit of scalability on silicon. There is research into carbon nanotubes and graphene but nothing even close to stable yet. Plus carbon nanotubes might be toxic.

Expect silicon replacements and "system on a chip" between 2020 and 2025.

Did you see that NOVA about the computer chips and using nano tubes with them?

Might not trust Wikipedia that much.

(P.S. I have looked at that link before. I know all of them up to terabyte are correct.)

They're correct: yotta is as high as it goes; there is no SI prefix for an octillion or octillionth (nor any need, really). Peta is indeed the next step up from tera (you'll often read about super computers showing off muscle measured in petaflops).

but wait i thought your a computer expert?

you should know if it works or not. LOL

Expert, yes it does work on windows 7 64 bit or if you silly enough to have 32bit, any dos program should work if you try hard enough via dosbox i have not seen a game that does not work in dosbox, but if you still have a problem running dos programs you can always use vmware workstation and run ubcd, or hirens boot disk.

But then again dell is bundled with the gimped version of windows 7 so it probbley is 32bit home lol

Dont forget to type in your sound settings if you done a clean boot.

SET SOUND16=C:\TEMP;

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H3 P330 T6

to everyone else this is a good site to for ye old dos games http://www.abandonia.com/en/game/all/Abandonware

for the person who asked about legalities, depends some will state that they have been abandonent or there copyright has expired, or they have released them to public domain if that is the case then they are free.

I must say, dragon, that was an impressive level of editing you did.

fizzy, the correct use of grammar, punctuation, and capitalization in your posts will usually get people to stop treating you like an idiot.

*bows* 'Tis an ability I'm rather proud of.

But then again, Dell is bundled with the gimped version of Windows 7, so it probably is 32-bit Home.

First: Your language. You need to at least try to speak it properly.

Second, Dells (while having terrible hardware) ship with the retail version of any OS they make available. So if your (shoddily constructed, overpriced, and underpowered) computer has, say, 32-bit Vista Home Basic, that's your fault. Not Dell's. (Although like all manufacturers of prebuilt computers, they do have an awful tendency to stuff your HDD with useless crapware.)

And, for that matter, the "Home Premium" version of Windows 7 isn't exactly gimped, as it hasn't been edited with the GIMP! :P

All seriousness, though, for 90% of users the "Home" version of Windows 7 (or 8,if you're so inclined) is as much control as they need. Professional has many additional and very useful tools, but the operating system is not less usable for the lack of them.

when i say Gimped i mean the english meaning of Gimp maybe you to young to understand it but basically its a little man with a face mask on and a zipper over his mouth, and been dominated by a women.

biggest thing i not a forum geek i reply when i can and i write when someone needed help, or someone like Fizzy is giving wrong info like he has and claiming to be an I.T expert when he just an administrator at best, i dont care about grammer, and releastically nether should anyone as long as the point is made seriously this a forum not a english class.

Here is how your wrong, Home Edition, users do not have full freedom as proffessional or Ultimate as you claim they do, Networking is a big one , Windows XP / 2003 Server had way better options for Samba = aka windows File sharing, options for added security layers set groups ect, in Home Edition you do not get remote Desktop i think you can add it in but its a pain in the ass, 32bit is useless now days, especially for any app that wants to access more then 4GB even just stablity wise, windows 8 is a complete waste of time just like Vista.

Microsoft has a Trend, Win 3.00 Good , Win 3.11 added some stuff for networking and UDMA hard drive support ect, windows 95 , a Complete waste of time and the most unstable OS ever made( my opinion on that ) Windows 98 good, win98 SE more like a Service pack to me as it addressed problems that win98 had, Windows XP the most Stable OS from Microsoft and people still use it today and i think for many years to come, My Media Streaming server is XP, Vista load of shit, any person that jumped for it had to much money to throw away dispite is new DX10 sexyness, i my self waited till Win764bit was what Vista should have been.

Why this happens, i believe its a Panic with Sudden Changes to Tech that comes out, so they Rush an OS into production and slap a M$ approved sticker on it ( will not work out of box LOL ) and you have a minor update to an OS.

Windows 7 is not perfect like everyone claims it to be as well, it has network issues that it got from Vista ect.

Windows 8 is built for touch devices or touch screens or other wanks but if you ask any person who knows what they are talking about such devices have there limits compaired to a Desktop 1 been power ect so for such devices best install Ubuntu 64bit Desktop it will do all you want and runs Tekkit as wel, plus its a Faster OS and lighter in terms of Resources where Windows tends to rape resources.

Here is the Difference between the Current OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Read Physical memory limits for Windows 7

also Proc limits

That is why the HOME OS is gimped especially for those people who have jumped the gun and stuffed heaps of ram that the hardware will see but there OS will not.

Why i know what i talking about , i not just a Home user, i built my own computer company from the ground up worked for many different companies so i not just have a 1 user point of view like others might have, i deal with large Client Base, also deal with distro's so i get to see first hand what goes out, and what get sent back, what fails, what works.

so Dragonshardz and Fizzy, if you say something make sure you have something to back it up. Dragonshardz its nice to see you stick up for your mate but when he gives bad advice it can waste peoples time and money, so he best off getting his ego stroked in some other way.