New computer for tekkit!

Stop mocking me0

Its worth noting that no matter what you can't future proof in any worthwhile way. Say you spend $2000+ (probably more given high end video cards costing as much as they do) on a top of the line overkill gaming rig in order to have it last longer. In a few years years your top of the line will be average and cost $800 and all your parts will have been outclassed by newer better built more efficient models.

Compare it to someone who paid $800-1000. Their computer will handle games at max no problem if they did it right. In two years it will be showing age and they spend another $800-1000 or less if they're just swapping parts. They'll have spent less then you over time, and their new computer will probably have better parts then your original overkill machine. The buyers remorse will run thick.

It's so tempting to go all out and say "I'm going to empty my wallet and my computer will live forever and be immortal!" but after a certain point the graph of returns vs money spent really drops dramatically.

Damned opportunity costs. That is a very good point though, I never thought of it that way...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too true. I'm content with my 6GB laptop and probably by now below average graphics card(Although even if I wasn't I probably wouldn't have much choice) running most things on high, with the occasional Medium graphics level. Going overkill seems a little bit pointless when you can run everything easily and not have any trouble instead of buying and assembling a huge expensive gaming computer which won't be so valuable in such a short amount of time

... How do they fuck that up? Did they forget or did they not have the other stuff?

No idea. I cant contact their support for some reason even though according to their site, these are the hours of operation. And it's not like it's some shady tiny fake company. NCIX is a major supplier.

No idea. I cant contact their support for some reason even though according to their site, these are the hours of operation. And it's not like it's some shady tiny fake company. NCIX is a major supplier.

Didn't you know? Major companies automatically block the phone numbers of people who need to use customer support from their customer support.

Hey, my uncle just got a new PC, and I was wondering if it was any good. Here are the specs :

Processor : Intel 3.1 GHz Xeon E5-2867W

SSD : 2x 512GB OCZ Vertex 4

HDD : 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K4000

Motherboard : ASUS P9X79 WS

RAM : 64GB DDR3/2133 Corsair Dominator Platinum

Power : Corsair AX12001

Video Card : 2x EVGA Hydro Copper GeForce GTX 690

Cooling : Liquid cooling set, including water-cooling loop, radiators, tubes, fans and etc.

Case : Silverstone TJ11

He said he built it himself, and it seems okay to me, but I'd like the opinion of people who know what they're talking about. How do you find it?

well, i think it would be able to run any game in the freaking universe O_O along with about 50 million mc server's or about half of that amount of tekkit server's, lol

I can tell you as i am in I.T Specializing in hardware Dell or HP are shit, mostly put to gether with low end boards and cheap oem gpu's and sticking a heap of ram into a board that does not have the bandwidth is not going to do anything but slow you down.

Secondly there is 3 i7 well now 2 I7 out there one is 1155 another is 2011 socket whats the differents well quad channels for ram on 2011 sockets, second no tech i know would use a dell so ether your in like the accounting department or your just a programmer or something.

well to prove you wrong i am a I.T Specializing and i have had dell for a very long time there after sales is brill it brakes they send me the parts to fix or send a dell engineer and the government and NHS in the UK use dell and so do Google for there search engine acer charge you for postage of your device even if it is in warranty if you want a specific computer you are better building one if you want a good after sale dell are the best people that say dell are crap is because they have gone for the cheapest computer they sell to be honest as they say get what you pay for all my computers have been over £1000 and my latest computer is the xps and i paid £3000 but was worth it can play crysis 3 at max and bf3 but that is my option

well to prove you wrong i am a I.T Specializing and i have had dell for a very long time there after sales is brill it brakes they send me the parts to fix or send a dell engineer and the government and NHS in the UK use dell and so do Google for there search engine acer charge you for postage of your device even if it is in warranty if you want a specific computer you are better building one if you want a good after sale dell are the best people that say dell are crap is because they have gone for the cheapest computer they sell to be honest as they say get what you pay for all my computers have been over £1000 and my latest computer is the xps and i paid £3000 but was worth it can play crysis 3 at max and bf3 but that is my option

This hurt to read...

Have you ever heard of the full stop or comma? I read like I'm listening to someone say it, and I almost felt out of breath after reading that huge nonstop paragraph.

I'm an engineer specializing in nothing, and I can tell you that Dell is overpriced with inferior parts. You can get the same or better warranty ordering the parts and building a PC yourself. Now, if you can't/won't provide your own support (which I can do, so I'd think you'd want to do, being in IT), maybe they'd be a good option, but there you have it. I'd never go with HP, and Dell is a marginally acceptable third choice, depending on your needs.

I'm an engineer specializing in nothing, and I can tell you that Dell is overpriced with inferior parts. You can get the same or better warranty ordering the parts and building a PC yourself. Now, if you can't/won't provide your own support (which I can do, so I'd think you'd want to do, being in IT), maybe they'd be a good option, but there you have it. I'd never go with HP, and Dell is a marginally acceptable third choice, depending on your needs.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you prefer dell you don't belong in IT. By the way Mr. IT, what is your major? Since it obviously isn't English.

This hurt to read...

Have you ever heard of the full stop or comma? I read like I'm listening to someone say it, and I almost felt out of breath after reading that huge nonstop paragraph.

lol, sorry was in a hurry. By the way ever herd of people being dyslexic, witch I am

Yes you are right I have got my own home build computer like i said " if you want a specific computer you are better building one" but no techi can build there own laptop can they, only repair that is why i bought the xps nice and powerful just like a desktop.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you prefer dell you don't belong in IT. By the way Mr. IT, what is your major? Since it obviously isn't English.

as i said : lol, sorry was in a hurry. By the way ever herd of people being dyslexic, witch I am

Lol, sorry, I'm positively sure you don't have any kind of job in IT with the 'dell is good' crap you're saying. Also, having dyslexia doesn't prevent you from typing like a normal human being.

lmao if your not good with punctuation then you cant help it and yes i am a IT technician for year retook my CompTIA A+ last year and just past my mcsa windows server 2012

lmao if your not good with punctuation then you cant help it and yes i am a IT technician for year retook my CompTIA A+ last year and just past my mcsa windows server 2012

I'm A+ with Network+, CCNA, and Security+. I'm currently in school for electrical and computer engineering. People like you, who have no idea what they're talking about, are the reason I can't find a goddamn job.

and yes. People can build their own laptops. I've done it. A few times. You really should not be helping people with their computers. OR you shouldn't be lying about your certifications on the internet.

I'm A+ with Network+, CCNA, and Security+. I'm currently in school for electrical and computer engineering. People like you, who have no idea what they're talking about, are the reason I can't find a goddamn job.

and yes. People can build their own laptops. I've done it. A few times. You really should not be helping people with their computers. OR you shouldn't be lying about your certifications on the internet.

lol no lie and if you have mcsa windows server 2012 there is no need for Network+, CCNA, and Security+ not in my job anyway. It is not really possible to build your own laptop unless you have all the parts made to order as all laptop shells are build specifically to the components they us and to make it harder they use there own connections plus now days everything is on-board

Sigh. Please don't insult people over the internet without just cause. It makes you sound ignorant. What was implied by my earlier statement was that I found your post difficult to read. I appologize for any confusion on my part.

Sigh. Please don't insult people over the internet without just cause. It makes you sound ignorant. What was implied by my earlier statement was that I found your post difficult to read. I appologize for any confusion on my part.

I think you misquoted there.