iPods are too mainstream!

Xylord

But I'm a modern human being, and I would thus like some way to carry around my music. My needs are few, but specific.

- I want a device that lets me copy the music in my computer's folders into it, ready for listening.

- With more than 16 GB of space.

Nothing else! Anyone has ideas?

Get a nook, Root it, and use as an MP3 player, eReader, AND mobile web browser.

Nooks are cool and all, the thing is that I browse on my laptop, read books and have an extremely limited budget, so I'd rather not spend extra for stuff I don't truly need. I'm starting to think I should just take an SSD drive and hook up a screen and some buttons to it.

I've considered Sony walkmans, but isn't there something even more hipster that I could take advantage of? Some dark brand I've never heard of?

A Turntable is obviously the more logical choice.

Carrying a turntable around would sure make my jogging more efficient. ;D

Nooks are cool and all, the thing is that I browse on my laptop, read books and have an extremely limited budget, so I'd rather not spend extra for stuff I don't truly need. I'm starting to think I should just take an SSD drive and hook up a screen and some buttons to it.

I've considered Sony walkmans, but isn't there something even more hipster that I could take advantage of? Some dark brand I've never heard of?

Carrying a turntable around would sure make my jogging more efficient. ;D

You could make hook it up to a Skateboard and cruise down streets playing some Bach and Beethoven; or maybe you can connect it to a helmet wear it and jog down the road, I don't know how you'd be able to keep the needle from jumping though.

You could make hook it up to a Skateboard and cruise down streets playing some Bach and Beethoven; or maybe you can connect it to a helmet wear it and jog down the road, I don't know how you'd be able to keep the needle from jumping though.

It would certainly help me learn to conserve my balance. Don't like skateboards though, they're too noisy.

It would certainly help me learn to conserve my balance. Don't like skateboards though, they're too noisy.

And once you're down you can go down to the local grocer and buy a basket of Potatoes and Onions and other vegetables and balance the basket on your head!

FYI, iPods do let you drag and drop if you get a classic or older nano. It's just the iPhone and iTouch that force you to use iTunes. The classic is $250 new for 160GB, and probably cheaper on ebay or craigslist. If you can put up with iTunes, refurbished 64GB iTouches are selling for $230. EDIT: I was thinking of 3rd party program compatibility. You still need to sync it with something, though it doesn't have to be iTunes.

The Sandisk players are nice too, and they have microSD slots so you can load different playlists on different cards if you want. A clip+ and a 32GB microSD card are under $100 on Amazon.

FYI, iPods do let you drag and drop if you get a classic or older nano. It's just the iPhone and iTouch that force you to use iTunes. The classic is $250 new for 160GB, and probably cheaper on ebay or craigslist. If you can put up with iTunes, refurbished 64GB iTouches are selling for $230.

The Sandisk players are nice too, and they have microSD slots so you can load different playlists on different cards if you want. A clip+ and a 32GB microSD card are under $100 on Amazon.

My nano Gen1 had to use iTunes lol, dont know where you're getting this

Op I just have my tracks on my phone (SGS3)

Funny, I happen to have a library of about 500 of my favorite songs recorded in perfect quality, able to be played back at any given time, at any tempo/key/what-have-you. Not to mention I don't even need to replace the batteries for my mobile music player - and that it goes literally everywhere with me. I mean, I just couldn't live without it.

Funny, I happen to have a library of about 500 of my favorite songs recorded in perfect quality, able to be played back at any given time, at any tempo/key/what-have-you. Not to mention I don't even need to replace the batteries for my mobile music player - and that it goes literally everywhere with me. I mean, I just couldn't live without it.

me too, i mean, why would i pay for something much worse than what i've already got?

Try a Sony 2" QVGA 16GB MP3. My friend's one works pretty good. In the future if you do decide getting an iPod, all iPods have great music playing software if you get an iPod touch or an iPhone you get bonuses like youtube, appplications, an internet browser, texting, camera, videos etc. I have had my iPhone 4S for about a year now and the music player still works perfectly.

Try a Sony 2" QVGA 16GB MP3. My friend's one works pretty good. In the future if you do decide getting an iPod, all iPods have great music playing software if you get an iPod touch or an iPhone you get bonuses like youtube, appplications, an internet browser, texting, camera, videos etc. I have had my iPhone 4S for about a year now and the music player still works perfectly.

Most phones have all that, not just apples. And I think I-things are a bit pricey for what use get.

I like my Zen X-Fi 2, it sounds a million times better than my last MP3 player (SanDisk Sansa Clip+). I have a 16 Gig version but a 32 Gig version exists. The player also has a MicroSD slot, it supports up to 16 Gig cards I believe.

You can add music by dragging and dropping. I have a hard time making a playlist with it. I just make the playlists with notepad now, each file name or folder name in the path is limited to six characters unfortunately.

It has an FM tuner that works quite well, it only seems to have trouble when I am in the basement of a building. The part I like the best is it's "Xtreme Fidelity" (X-Fi) settings. I don't know exactly how it works but it gives you a pair of sliders, "Crystalizer" and "Expand".

The X-Fi stuff makes the music sound much better, I don't know how to describe it exactly. The music sounds weak without the X-Fi stuff turned on, like it is coming out of some tiny speakers several feet away. When I hook it up to the stereo in my car, I can't feel the base or anything unless I turn the X-Fi stuff on. It sounds excellent after I do turn it on.

The earphones it comes with are pretty nice too. If you get a good seal (earwax works great for this) with them then it sounds really good. You can feel the bass a bit and they almost entirely block out the external noise.

The 16 Gig version is around $100 I believe, I don't know the price of the 32 Gig version.