How do you make a custom pack?

SkyTechKid

I'm having the same problem - the video is great if you want to add something to a pack - but useless if you want to use one of the "Custom" slots to completely create your own. (In my case, I want to create a pack that's a merge of the Dev. Technic with a few mods from Yogbox). Is there some kind of "Custom Packs for Dummies" tutorial out there?

What you don't understand is the modpack.jar get's updated as Forge Mod Loader finds the custom .zip you put into the Mods folder.

So just do what the video says, 'kay? It's aaaaaall gonna be okay.

Okay Okay...Lets start over.

Your saying that if i make a mods folder and put optifine there it will go to the modpack jar?

Er, I'm not quite sure that's right Moogle. Optifine isn't a forge mod, it's a jar mod. Forge wouldn't load it from the mods folder. My impression from SCT's tutorial was that if you wanted to have a custom modpack.jar, that entails building a complete modpack.jar with all the jar mods you want and putting that in your custom zip. The custom zip feature doesn't do any merging, it simply takes the files in the custom zip and puts them in the folder at runtime, replacing as necessary. Thus, if you supply a modpack.jar, it will completely overwrite the default modpack.jar. If you want to add things, you should make a copy of the base modpack.jar, add things to the copy, and then put the entire file in your custom zip.

Pretty much. I was assuming things here. Also, it's been ages since I installed Optifine, and I'm certain it was a drop it in the Mods folder and be done with it then.

optifine is and always has been a jar mod.

as for the OP, let me restate something the video you apparently watched with your eyes closed and sound muted explains pretty clearly is that anything that you want modified you have to replace. so, if you are adding jar mods, you need to include a modpack.jar with all the mods you want in it. that will go in the bin folder, because that's where modpack.jar normally is. the same goes for anything and everything you want to "update". it's pretty straightforward.

optifine is and always has been a jar mod.

as for the OP, let me restate something the video you apparently watched with your eyes closed and sound muted explains pretty clearly is that anything that you want modified you have to replace. so, if you are adding jar mods, you need to include a modpack.jar with all the mods you want in it. that will go in the bin folder, because that's where modpack.jar normally is. the same goes for anything and everything you want to "update". it's pretty straightforward.

Wow, that was pretty harsh. I watched the same video about 5 times and didn't come to that conclusion either. All the video seemed to state was to make folders for the various mods you needed, it didn't say you could replace specific files.

Not everybody here is a professional modder, some of us DO need the step-by-step instructions, not just the vague ones the video shows.

You don't need to be a modder (or a professional modder, whatever that is). You need to know how to install mods, an action which the launcher usually goes to great pains to protect you from. Once you can install mods without the custom zip, ie. you know where mod files are supposed to go, how to make you own modpack.jar, then you have the knowledge required to make a custom zip.

As a note, the custom zip functionality is mostly for server admins to make things easier on their players. If you want to mod your single player, custom zips are an extra (unnecessary) layer of complexity.

All the video seemed to state was to make folders for the various mods you needed, it didn't say you could replace specific files.

I remember it being said that you can do exactly that in the video. Make a modpack.jar with the jar mods you want and pt it in the bin folder. And to update a mod, just rename it to what the mod installed is, and put it in the mods folder. Seemed to me like it was explained pretty well. And I only watched it once.