Whats with the ganging up?

wastipk

Every time someone says something or something happens that a mod disagrees with, within minutes there are people being defensive and argumentative.

It seems to me that if someone is frustrated or wrong in some way, you guys just tease them, gang up and have your laughs, then you ban them? Is this really your entertainment?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The banning usually only occurs because the OP got agressive and started insulting people. If they realize their mistakes and back down or makes a really good argument for their cause people won't make much fun of them.

If they continue to make an argument for a shitty/stupid cause we'll make fun of them, as is the proper way of handeling morons, and if they start to be too hostile or foulmouthed or just generally fail at following the rules, a mod will take action. As for what is and isn't a shitty cause, common sense will show the way. (mostly, but I won't continue on that matter because of my fear of the big pink baby-face)

EDIT: the ninja makes for a good TL;DR

If their problem can't be solved with a search sweep, we'll usually help them. If they break the rules, ask for common knowledge or pull this "permissions" crap, we'll ridicule them.

Then it's up to them if they'll realize their mistake and do better next time, or rage defensively and get banned. The rules are there for a reason.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what Jay said. Although, anyone with a connection to the internet should understand that. The thought that some people don't could explain a lot though...

Nah, that only really happens when people can't accept they're wrong, or make false accusations. I think sometimes they get blown out of proportion because of previous experiences with idiots post similar, perhaps more extreme views, but it only has any effect when that person persists with their misinformed point as if it were true. There are a lot of people like that, it's not so surprising that people get hostile towards them when they start making unfounded claims all the time.

It is also a lot of fun.

The thread I was referring to btw was one I just read, some guys kids came here to complain about donators on some random server. I wanted to reply explaining (as he obviously didn't understand teh internetz) that he could get his own server for 6 pounds a month, but I couldn't cos the thread was locked and he was banned (for what I can't see).

So what happened in that thread was: old guy starts silly thread, talks in a negative way about tekkit. First reply, angry and defensive (someone even said it was a bit much). Anyway after that first reply it all went down hill with everyone jumping in and having a pop, until eventually he gets angry then ban and thread lock.

When it could have been so much more simple, the guy was obviously frustrated as anyone would be but no one could appreciate this an sympathise, instead just bully him.

I came back to these forums to see if anything has changed and it really hasn't, its still even the same people trolling and antagonising.

Oh, that? That one was mostly his fault. To be honest, I don't think he even knew what he was actually asking, and he never seemed to answer when asked what he actually wanted us to do about his problem. We gave him as much of a solution as possible, then he started claiming that the admins were at fault and neglecting their duty by letting griefing happen on a server they had no control over(don't ask how that works, we couldn't work it out which is why it ended up like it did). He basically started getting angry when people told him that they couldn't do anything, and persisted with his argument for them to "do something"(he never even specified the "something"). It was never really going to end well when he refused to accept that there was nothing that anyone here could do about the... Pretty much nonexistent problem.

He was acting like a tit, and continued to do so after repeatedly being told why he was wrong. Seriously, if someone breaks a porcelain cup with a hammer and leaves the result on the floor you don't go bitching to the manufacturer when you get shards in you feet.

EDIT: time to go to sleep, the ninjas are too powerful for me in my fatigued state.

The thread I was referring to btw was one I just read, some guys kids came here to complain about donators on some random server. I wanted to reply explaining (as he obviously didn't understand teh internetz) that he could get his own server for 6 pounds a month, but I couldn't cos the thread was locked and he was banned (for what I can't see).

So what happened in that thread was: old guy starts silly thread, talks in a negative way about tekkit. First reply, angry and defensive (someone even said it was a bit much). Anyway after that first reply it all went down hill with everyone jumping in and having a pop, until eventually he gets angry then ban and thread lock.

When it could have been so much more simple, the guy was obviously frustrated as anyone would be but no one could appreciate this an sympathise, instead just bully him.

I came back to these forums to see if anything has changed and it really hasn't, its still even the same people trolling and antagonising.

so, you wanted to complain about us ragging on a guy that didn't understand the concept that he was WRONG?

it actually started out fairly polite for around here directing him to find another server and that nobody here had any control over a server run by other individuals. And he proceeded to not get the point repeatedly. And YOU think we were somehow in the wrong?

I think he provoked the moderators by claiming that they had to do something about his problem, even though they both could not and should not do anything about it. It was a server problem, and his whole point was that because the name "Tekkit" was on the server, it was obviously their fault if anything happened there. This was not only completely false, but completely stupid. He held on to this belief, and that's what he got.

The moral of this story is: if you're wrong, face it and man up. It gets good results from everyone, and also makes you look awesome :)

My point is, in that thread, the moderators response provoked him to react angrily.

And from that same topic I quote...MYSELF *background thunder here*

And you do realize that moderators do this for free, and they are human...I think...I'm watching you Neowulf >.>

Neways, humans, therefore they have opinions, emotions, tendencies to overreact (calling it how I see it) etc so how about instead of declaring them defensive bullies, just get back to the topic at hand?

P.S If this is backseat modding then my bad, don't hate me XD

The mods have said as much before (the working for free part) and they seem to take the same approach to free work as I do, be as professional as you feel, and as human as you like

Problem? Then how about you pay them to be more professional about it

In most other places, idiots will get banned right off. Here, we give them a chance to recant their idiocies first, then we ridicule them, then they get keller'd or banned. (I was such an idiot once, as were many of the people here) It's not our fault people don't read the rules.

Exhibit A:

<---------

You be an idiot, you get your warning, you fix the problem, and then you don't be an idiot again, and nobody will mind.

Its not a good situation if people are specifically being childish because they aren't getting payed if thats your implication. Ever since I played Tekkit I've thought it would work a lot better if people working on it got paid and therefor were motivated to maybe treat the users just a little bit nicer.

Its not a good situation if people are specifically being childish because they aren't getting payed if thats your implication. Ever since I played Tekkit I've thought it would work a lot better if people working on it got paid and therefor were motivated to maybe treat the users just a little bit nicer.

you must be new to the internet then. I assure you, the stupid people will continue to post. And frankly, unless you ridicule and mock the stupid out of people they never grow out of it. It has no bearing on whether the moderators are paid or not. They still have to put up with stupid shit.

You can't mock the stupid out of people, and people make stupid threads because they don't understand or are annoyed with the product, not because they are stupid IRL. And when you mock them it all goes down hill and every one looks bad. Whats that quote about arguing with fools?

"Don't argue with a fool because they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

You can't mock the stupid out of people, and people make stupid threads because they don't understand or are annoyed with the product, not because they are stupid IRL. And when you mock them it all goes down hill and every one looks bad. Whats that quote about arguing with fools?

"Don't argue with a fool because they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Really? I think we're doing a stupendous job with you. :P

If they start yelling at us about stuff which isn't even true, then refuse to accept that they are wrong, what would you actually expect us to do, then?

The trolling starts when the explaining fails. Sometimes it works.

Other times it eliminates the problem.

What's not to like?

wastipk, you keep acting like people proving your point are the problem but you keep replying, and then they reply to you further proving your point, stop replying to the topic and let it die already and then there is no point for there is no topic (going matrix on y'all)

Either stop posting here and move on to a more productive topic or keep fueling the fire you started, the choice is yours but from where I stand, your point doesn't mean jack if you keep giving people something to gang up on