Server under construction/banned items, mods. Suggestions

Conker5295

Working on a new galactacraft server (not sure if spelled right) And I'm looking for suggestions, input and such.

Had an anti grief idea to make Space stations a players self managed home, by this i mean to make it their responsibility to keep griefers out (don't add strangers) since they control who can access it and who cant. Let me know what you think of that? Plus a grief prevention plugin in the overworld as well.

The banned items and mods I'm thinking about currently:

Quarry Hard on CPU usage and can be used as a griefing tool. Thoughts about making them usable in one world and only one per player but haven't quite decided yet.

Filler To be honest i don't really know what this item does, just after research people complain a lot about griefing from it and CPU consumption like the Quarry

Turtle Probably wont ban this one, I'm thinking of adding [computercraft] to the basic rank of my server and just telling players that they cannot use them on their own land. If that doesn't work a temp removal of them may be necessary till i can make them safe for use.

Chunk loader No need for explanation ^.^

Mystcraft Harder to manage, cannot tp to players in other dimensions (to my knowledge) and I'm sure the server handling all the dimensions could end up in disaster for game play.

Dimensional Doors Havent done extensive research on these so im not sure if it would be needed to remove them. reasons sort of fall under the same as mystcraft.

More posted in the comments with reasons!

Any suggestions for banned items would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for items the bypass Grief prevention and World guard regions. Not really up to date on current items in this mod, been awhile since I've ran a tekkit server.

plugins

I'm looking for compatible plugins with this version of tekkit, I'm currently trying to run permissions EX but i cannot for the life of me get the prefix's to work. no idea why. but the ranks and perms work 100% fine.

I've considering banning BuildCraft Pipes, as I know it's possible to do pretty much everything using other mods. :D God I love AE.

So far, haven't really run into anything yet that is too overpowered or server breaking. Chunk loaders could be abused and cause a lot of server strain, so maybe limiting those in some way or banning them all together is reasonable. Although that does make some setups (piping lava from the nether to the overworld, or running quarries in MystCraft ages) much more difficult if not unreasonable.

I've considering banning BuildCraft Pipes, as I know it's possible to do pretty much everything using other mods. :D God I love AE.

So far, haven't really run into anything yet that is too overpowered or server breaking. Chunk loaders could be abused and cause a lot of server strain, so maybe limiting those in some way or banning them all together is reasonable. Although that does make some setups (piping lava from the nether to the overworld, or running quarries in MystCraft ages) much more difficult if not unreasonable.

I've been looking around at other servers banned items/mods lists and i see that some even take out mystcraft, is that a reasonable thing to do? and chunk loaders would have to go i think, i would think about allowing 1 per player but i dont know yet. still very early planning stages :P

Why would you ban build craft pipes?

Ignore his suggestion to ban pipes, it's a horrid one.

Why would you ban build craft pipes?

Ignore his suggestion to ban pipes, it's a horrid one.

I ended up banning bc pipes in my previous server. The reason you would ban them is cause on popular servers with a more eco or lower end server machine (such as mine) the bc pipes can be very intensive on your CPU, Thus creating mass amounts of tick lag.

Wouldn't ban them altogether myself, but the first time someone's quarry busts open and spills 100k blocks on the ground, I'm going to yell at that person a lot.

WorldEdit remove entities FTW.

Wouldn't ban them altogether myself, but the first time someone's quarry busts open and spills 100k blocks on the ground, I'm going to yell at that person a lot.

WorldEdit remove entities FTW.

I wont ban them on my new server since I've upgraded the cpu on my box since my last server but it did help the preformance a lot back then. I'm sure they are better on the server by now.

Does anyone know the compatibility with pex on this version of tekkit? I can get the ranks working but i cannot for the life of me get the Prefixes to show up.

plugins

I'm looking for compatible plugins with this version of tekkit, I'm currently trying to run permissions EX but i cannot for the life of me get the prefix's to work. no idea why. but the ranks and perms work 100% fine.

Got Prefix's working :D

Got a fresh banned items list, please say what you think:

Quarry: Lag/grief

Filler: Lag/Grief

Turtle: Grief(Temp)

ChunkLoader: Lag

Mystcraft: Management/lag

Dimensional Doors: Lag

Rift Blade: Lag

Dynamite: Lol

Cannon: ^

Trade Boothtop: Experimenting with items showed that you can place them ANYWHERE reguardless of protections.

Unstable rift door: Lag

Working on getting it smaller or more protective!

Also had an idea to somehow implement space stations to allow players to keep their stuff 100% safe as long as they don't allow strangers into their place to build. Let me know what you think?

You dont have to ban mystcraft altogether, just the bookbinder to stop people creating worlds. Link books are very very handy. And removing quarries is going to cause a huge amount of people to not even try your server. If you just remove dimensional doors altogether, you wont need to ban the individual items.

Banned: All the good stuff.

There are lots of other items in the game.

Removing quarries is just mean!

I said in the original post that i may allow 1 per player. haven't decided yet. They are just to destructive and abused.

You dont have to ban mystcraft altogether, just the bookbinder to stop people creating worlds. Link books are very very handy. And removing quarries is going to cause a huge amount of people to not even try your server. If you just remove dimensional doors altogether, you wont need to ban the individual items.

And have pre-generated worlds for them to visit? And i just dont know how to protect the server against Quarrys, still researching. For dimentional doors the ones that randomly generate are still active but you cannot craft them.

Quarries are the biggest difference between vanilla and modded minecraft. All the fancy stuff is cool, but if you have to mine by hand, it feels like vanilla. With mining by hand, you just don't haven't he resource income to support the cool machines unless you spend all your time mining. It just might be me, but quarries of some sort be it frame quarry, turtle or BC quarry, it just isn't technic if you don't have at least one of those options. Mining by hand is no fun anymore, that first diamond hit looses its surprise and joy after the 50th time.

Quarries are the biggest difference between vanilla and modded minecraft. All the fancy stuff is cool, but if you have to mine by hand, it feels like vanilla. With mining by hand, you just don't haven't he resource income to support the cool machines unless you spend all your time mining. It just might be me, but quarries of some sort be it frame quarry, turtle or BC quarry, it just isn't technic if you don't have at least one of those options. Mining by hand is no fun anymore, that first diamond hit looses its surprise and joy after the 50th time.

The solve I'm going for right now is allowing turtles, maybe quarry's if i can figure out how to limit them, in a separate world from the building world. so its just a recourse world that can be reset.

The problem with turtles is that they really need chunk loaders. When they unload they tend to forget what they were doing and reset their running program, which means you can only really run them near you or in a chunk loaded zone.

The problem with turtles is that they really need chunk loaders. When they unload they tend to forget what they were doing and reset their running program, which means you can only really run them near you or in a chunk loaded zone.

that applies in any world. by no means am i allowing chunk loaders. that's just a recipe for disaster. If your not only to lazy to mine but also to impatient to allow a machine do all the work for you then minecraft prolly isn't the game for you XD

Just adding a rule at spawn, and maybe popping up in side chat occasionally, stating that each player is allowed only one active quarry at a time is quite common. Most people would prefer to avoid 24 hours in jail ratherthan take the risk of being caught out. Making them uncraftable and handing out one per player would work also.

Just adding a rule at spawn, and maybe popping up in side chat occasionally, stating that each player is allowed only one active quarry at a time is quite common. Most people would prefer to avoid 24 hours in jail ratherthan take the risk of being caught out. Making them uncraftable and handing out one per player would work also.

Do you know if there are any mod crafting benches and such that bypass nocraft rules?

that applies in any world. by no means am i allowing chunk loaders. that's just a recipe for disaster. If your not only to lazy to mine but also to impatient to allow a machine do all the work for you then minecraft prolly isn't the game for you XD

No, vanilla minecraft is not for me. This is why I play modded minecraft, so I can build an automatic system to mine for me, and then leave it alone while I work on other things. If I wanted to mine by hand I would play vanilla, not technic.

And what I meant by needing to keep the turtle loaded is that it tends to forget what it was doing if it unloads for any reason. A quarry you can walk away from, come back, and it will start back where it was with no problem. Turtles tend to lose all their current instructions and you need to restart them from the very beginning.

Seriously though, chunk loaders are not pure evil. They are no more resources intensive on a server than another player, actually probably less so. Just limit the area any player can have loaded and they are fine. I think that the dimensional anchors have that functionality built in and can be easily configured. Not sure on chunk loaders or teleport tethers.

• Discord Moderator

I have a server with up to 10 people on at once. I allow 3 chunk loaders per person and no real limit on quarries. We have had 7 64x64 quarries running in a MystCraft age. Hell, someone screwed up and spilled over 170K entities into the world. The server never even stumbled. Rule with an iron fist. If someone does something malicious, just ban them and tear it down. If you are running a big server there of course have to be compromises. Only ban some of the bad stuff in the over world. That way if you have to reset the nether or an age from corrupt ions it's no great loss.

I have a server with up to 10 people on at once. I allow 3 chunk loaders per person and no real limit on quarries. We have had 7 64x64 quarries running in a MystCraft age. Hell, someone screwed up and spilled over 170K entities into the world. The server never even stumbled. Rule with an iron fist. If someone does something malicious, just ban them and tear it down. If you are running a big server there of course have to be compromises. Only ban some of the bad stuff in the over world. That way if you have to reset the nether or an age from corrupt ions it's no great loss.

How did you limit them 3 per player? or did you just tell them to only use 3 and hope they listen?

No, vanilla minecraft is not for me. This is why I play modded minecraft, so I can build an automatic system to mine for me, and then leave it alone while I work on other things. If I wanted to mine by hand I would play vanilla, not technic.

And what I meant by needing to keep the turtle loaded is that it tends to forget what it was doing if it unloads for any reason. A quarry you can walk away from, come back, and it will start back where it was with no problem. Turtles tend to lose all their current instructions and you need to restart them from the very beginning.

Seriously though, chunk loaders are not pure evil. They are no more resources intensive on a server than another player, actually probably less so. Just limit the area any player can have loaded and they are fine. I think that the dimensional anchors have that functionality built in and can be easily configured. Not sure on chunk loaders or teleport tethers.

Yeah i understand that, but its also really hard on the server when people abuse things that other players use to assist them. Chunk loaders arn't necessary for quarries though, the quarries keep 4 chunks loaded around them(in tekkit lite at least)