Redstone In Motion now in full release as of June 23

jakj

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mod will have frames and wires, other mods have done sickles, volcanoes, logic gates, and the like, basalt and marble are trivial, natura now has flowers that make blue dye...yeah, red power is pretty much divided piecemeal and reimplemented now. I will also include project tables most likely, since buildcraft has decided to fuck up my crafting tables.Wireless Redstone, I will wait and see if chicken bones gives up waiting for Eloraam before touching.

Modders are supposed to serve the players, so my goal is to give people frames, not to rip off Eloraam. The fact that I am ripping off Eloraam is just the most efficient means to my end.

Crashed when I tried to move the platform carriage.

java.lang.RuntimeException: class JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.PlatformCarriage is missing a mapping! This is a bug!

You need to register the tile entity, this adds the mapping.

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(YourTileEntity.class, "Mod.tileEntityName"); //Adds the mappings

That would do it...

I do appreciate detailed bug reports, though, so don't hesitate to continue. :-) I'm doing up a bit more of the code now, putting in skeletal/placeholder entities and renderers and such. I'm going to be able to do this entire mod with exactly one block ID and one item ID, and that's kind of neat. Forge has come such a long way.

First post updated with new version (#5).

New features: Frames work, redpower style! Can close/open sides of frame carriages, both engine and motor work (one stays, one goes), collision detection is in. Go Go Gadget Bugtesters!

Haven't found any bugs so far. Now going to test with some more wonky stuff to see if I can break it ;)

Yes, please do the weirdest and most complicated things you can think of, because the only way I'm going to get this thing really reliable is to get lots of eyes on it. I won't be comfortable saying "Release version! Use with your important stuff!" until a lot of people test it.

Is it SMP test ready? I can do that if you think it's at a point where it might work.

In theory. All the changes to Minecraft and Forge recently have completely obliterated singleplayer, to the point that World.isRemote is actually useful, Forge proxies are less necessary, and EntityPlayer doesn't even have a non-MP version.

So it *should* require no changes of any kind for SMP, other than stuff like bukkit and block-access restrictions, which is wayyyyyyyyy down the road if I ever even bother. (I'm 99% sure I'll just say "Hey, if somebody wants to make this public-server safe, go find a coder to do it.".)

Suggestion regarding chest contents: Pull an Ender Chest on it and put the contents somewhere safe before moving it. All you have to do is carry the shared instance of that chest in order for a player to interact with the contents while in motion.

If its an enderchest theres no need to do that. It's contents store under player data (If its vanilla) or as world data separate from the block i.e. it's contents are stored in a random place that cannon be affected by anything. If it just gets moved as a regular block it should be fine.

I'm not going to allow interaction while in motion. Right now I loop once to record everything, and check the validity of motion and presence of blacklisted blocks (NYI), a second time to clear everything, a third time to notify the world about the change, a fourth time to replace the blocks, and a fifth to again notify the world.

Your suggestion would require replacing everything with placeholder blocks instead of air, adding to the complexity of the looping, and a whole lot of back end code for every single mod block to support, including reimplementing interaction with blocks not being moved.

Transit takes one second (20 ticks). It's too much work for almost no benefit.

I'll check the creative tab code when I get home.

As for mining platforms, my algorithm cannot fail to make them work except for these cases:

The mod uses the xyz of the TE for some reason. I can probably hack into the mod and handle that if needed.

The mod uses regular motive entities to do stuff. No help for that situation.

The block keeps state that doesn't reset it, like bc miners. I'll implement a block breaker/placer to handle that.

So just let me know of issues.

It's more of how it manages item entities that I'm concerned about.

Oh, I get it now: You mean items dropped on the ground as entities by miners. Those will be left behind and fall when the blocks disappear, so you'll need to use obsidian pipes or something with sufficient delay. I......think it might be possible to grab and move entities too, but...well, I'll consider it for a future feature. Would be nice to be able to move farms.

I might have found something peculiar involving redstone blocks, sticky pistons, and frames/carriages.

I'll post some pictures later when I have access to the 'pooter tonight.