is this the end for big dig?

srjacob

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Canvox, im really serious here, you should read this.

Why are things like farmville successful? They tap into basic human needs, and satisfy them. People like ccollecting and hoarding, and they like feeling that a month later, that they accomplished something. A key thing about that article and others like it, is that people *are more satisfied with accomplishing something if they had to do mundane, boring things to get to that point*.

The game designers tried making games where the 'grinding' to get to a goal was fun and exciting... but it make the accomplished goal LESS fun, not more. It was the boredom that made things exciting, when you finally got there.

This is why people hold right click and mine stone over and over. When they find a diamond, it makes it that much more satisfying, BECAUSE they spent all that boring time, mining stone.

If people just wanted huge resources to build stuff, they could use creative, much of the appeal of survival is that you cant just make a building out of diamond blocks like you could in creative, so when someone sees your house with some rare item in it, you feel good about it.

In our big dig world, the thing to brag about is hv solars, because its one of the few things that takes a decent amount of time to build. An hv solar is like...250 mj/t. without a mass fab, there is no real reason to go much over that amount of power. 100 for a quarry, 150 for production is plenty.

in big dig, i was making an hv solar in a coupel days WITHOUT any sort of automation at all, just project tables.

So within a few days, without something to give people a reason to keep wanting more power and to keep ccrafting, people will just be in... creative mode, basically. And theres a reason people dont only play creative mode, right?

Anyway, i just think big dig needs some sort of open ended end game goal, something that keeps people wanting to building and mining 6 months into their world.

I know Forestry was in Tekkit. In fact, it should be again.

Question, have you lived under a rock or something, or are you seriously stupid enough say this?

Zorn, isn't the damn goal to build something? Make a giant statue, make a castle, do what the damn game is about? Hell building that Solar Array as you just said is pointless since the only reason to make it is to create more crap, which making the "I have too much shit and can't just build anything with it herpaderp" problem worse.

Question, have you lived under a rock or something, or are you seriously stupid enough say this?

Zorn, isn't the damn goal to build something? Make a giant statue, make a castle, do what the damn game is about? Hell building that Solar Array as you just said is pointless since the only reason to make it is to create more crap, which making the "I have too much shit and can't just build anything with it herpaderp" problem worse.

Actually the point of this whole game is that... it isn't 'about' anything at all, really, you can do whatever you want. If you want to live in a tiny cave and just fill up chests with ores and never even smelt them or build even one building... you can.

Ive seen plenty of people with plain stone, square houses on youtube, playing with all the industry style mods, power suits, etc. They dont really seem to 'build' anything special, just a big square building to hold their machines.

Here is a secret... come closer, listen... the secret is... other people might actually not play the game the way you do. GET OUT RIGHT? Can you believe this??? Whew. Crazy, sit down, have a lemonade. It's been a long day, you need to relax.

for people who just want to mine some ores in big dig and not really go nuts with the machines well... youre ignorign most of the mods. Which is fine, do whatever you want. It appears lots of people love the machines, which is why i am saying that without an open ended goal to pursue, the style of big dig will make people get bored.

Here is another secret... i know is two in one day but prepare yourself. The secret is... people who only like building things play Creative mode, people who get enjoyment from 'working for it' and then building something, play survival. For many people, it's more satisfying to build a castle knowing you worked for all the resources. If you have so many resourcs that you dont need to WORK FOR anything, then you are basically in creative, and there is a reason we dont all play creative mode.

Thats all for today folks, ill be here til wednesday! Make sure to tip your bartender!

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Canvox, im really serious here, you should read this.

Why are things like farmville successful? They tap into basic human needs, and satisfy them. People like ccollecting and hoarding, and they like feeling that a month later, that they accomplished something. A key thing about that article and others like it, is that people *are more satisfied with accomplishing something if they had to do mundane, boring things to get to that point*.

The game designers tried making games where the 'grinding' to get to a goal was fun and exciting... but it make the accomplished goal LESS fun, not more. It was the boredom that made things exciting, when you finally got there.

This is why people hold right click and mine stone over and over. When they find a diamond, it makes it that much more satisfying, BECAUSE they spent all that boring time, mining stone.

If people just wanted huge resources to build stuff, they could use creative, much of the appeal of survival is that you cant just make a building out of diamond blocks like you could in creative, so when someone sees your house with some rare item in it, you feel good about it.

In our big dig world, the thing to brag about is hv solars, because its one of the few things that takes a decent amount of time to build. An hv solar is like...250 mj/t. without a mass fab, there is no real reason to go much over that amount of power. 100 for a quarry, 150 for production is plenty.

in big dig, i was making an hv solar in a coupel days WITHOUT any sort of automation at all, just project tables.

So within a few days, without something to give people a reason to keep wanting more power and to keep ccrafting, people will just be in... creative mode, basically. And theres a reason people dont only play creative mode, right?

Anyway, i just think big dig needs some sort of open ended end game goal, something that keeps people wanting to building and mining 6 months into their world.

But it seems a bit odd to complain that the Big Dig pack has too many resources when that was the whole point of the pack and why we (well me anyway) play it. It's a thin line between proper survival and creative.

If I didn't want some many resources, I'd pay one of the other packs that limit them.

Opinion time!

1. People love(d) IC2 because it was straightforward, had a clear sense of progression, didn't require a large variety of materials to build stuff, and was a core piece of the modpacks it came with.

2. Myself included, I think there's a lot of hesitation to adopt these new mods because the information on how to use them is so much sketchier than older mods like Forestry or IC2 that have proper, useful wikis for them, rather than the patchy mess of stubs that things like Galacticraft have, not to mention many of the mods having a much higher barrier of entry than the old, simple mods did.

2B. Expanding on that point, you'll notice a lot of people are quite eager to adopt stuff like Dimensional Doors and the new pressure plates, because they're simple, straightforwards, and the documentation on how to do stuff with them is easy to find and complete.

Additional bit: There'd also be a lot less pushback against getting rid of IC2 if there was more "Its okay, look at all the cool new stuff you can do with the replacement mods!" and less "OMG STFU YOU FUCKING IDIOT GET THE FUCK OUT WAUG WAUG"

Opinion time!

1. People love(d) IC2 because it was straightforward, had a clear sense of progression, didn't require a large variety of materials to build stuff, and was a core piece of the modpacks it came with.

2. Myself included, I think there's a lot of hesitation to adopt these new mods because the information on how to use them is so much sketchier than older mods like Forestry or IC2 that have proper, useful wikis for them, rather than the patchy mess of stubs that things like Galacticraft have, not to mention many of the mods having a much higher barrier of entry than the old, simple mods did.

2B. Expanding on that point, you'll notice a lot of people are quite eager to adopt stuff like Dimensional Doors and the new pressure plates, because they're simple, straightforwards, and the documentation on how to do stuff with them is easy to find and complete.

Additional bit: There'd also be a lot less pushback against getting rid of IC2 if there was more "Its okay, look at all the cool new stuff you can do with the replacement mods!" and less "OMG STFU YOU FUCKING IDIOT GET THE FUCK OUT WAUG WAUG"

Agree with the last Additional Bit totally. Eventually people did post earlier on in this thread, replacements for the items I was using. So I eventually broke away from IC2 and moved to the new update. I wanted to have all the other mod updates as well but couldn't move due to IC2, so I understand why they broke away & glad they did now. However, some certain arse being an arse in the thread isn't really helping Big Dig or its promotion. It just gives an elitist impression which just puts new people off and they go elsewhere to other mod packs.

I agree with that, but unfortunately it's not just the people telling others about replacement mods and how to do stuff etc. (or not, as the case may be). I remember one guy who made a thread asking how to replace his sorting system. He got plenty of good, informative and helpful replies but basically complained about the solutions for the sole reason that they weren't carbon copies of Redpower. He probably made the thread just to complain about the removal of RP2 in the most idiotic method he could possibly think of, then got angry when he got a real answer. I remember him doing a similar thing for IC2.

What my point, really, is that while people started out nice about it, the repetitive threads and complaints despite clear and useful explanations turned it negative.

Actually the point of this whole game is that... it isn't 'about' anything at all, really, you can do whatever you want. If you want to live in a tiny cave and just fill up chests with ores and never even smelt them or build even one building... you can.

Ive seen plenty of people with plain stone, square houses on youtube, playing with all the industry style mods, power suits, etc. They dont really seem to 'build' anything special, just a big square building to hold their machines.

Here is a secret... come closer, listen... the secret is... other people might actually not play the game the way you do. GET OUT RIGHT? Can you believe this??? Whew. Crazy, sit down, have a lemonade. It's been a long day, you need to relax.

for people who just want to mine some ores in big dig and not really go nuts with the machines well... youre ignorign most of the mods. Which is fine, do whatever you want. It appears lots of people love the machines, which is why i am saying that without an open ended goal to pursue, the style of big dig will make people get bored.

Here is another secret... i know is two in one day but prepare yourself. The secret is... people who only like building things play Creative mode, people who get enjoyment from 'working for it' and then building something, play survival. For many people, it's more satisfying to build a castle knowing you worked for all the resources. If you have so many resourcs that you dont need to WORK FOR anything, then you are basically in creative, and there is a reason we dont all play creative mode.

Thats all for today folks, ill be here til wednesday! Make sure to tip your bartender!

Lol.

Agree with the last Additional Bit totally. Eventually people did post earlier on in this thread, replacements for the items I was using. So I eventually broke away from IC2 and moved to the new update. I wanted to have all the other mod updates as well but couldn't move due to IC2, so I understand why they broke away & glad they did now. However, some certain arse being an arse in the thread isn't really helping Big Dig or its promotion. It just gives an elitist impression which just puts new people off and they go elsewhere to other mod packs.

The thing to keep in mind is that this has been going on for over a month now. People don't read existing threads, and don't read the entire thread when they respond to stuff like this one. I'm really tired of giving the same list of 10 RP2 and IC2 replacements over and over again, and I'm tired of people coming back and saying "Well those were nice but since Tekkit/Big Dig doesn't have a replacement for (X thing that there is a really easy and prominent replacement, which they didn't ask about) I'm leaving forever, goodbye." Some people just aren't that interested in moving on and I can see why some would be tired of wasting their time with them. Losing your patience just pushes more people away, though, so I hope everyone will chill out and just don't respond if you're tired of dealing with it.

The thing to keep in mind is that this has been going on for over a month now. People don't read existing threads, and don't read the entire thread when they respond to stuff like this one. I'm really tired of giving the same list of 10 RP2 and IC2 replacements over and over again, and I'm tired of people coming back and saying "Well those were nice but since Tekkit/Big Dig doesn't have a replacement for (X thing that there is a really easy and prominent replacement, which they didn't ask about) I'm leaving forever, goodbye." Some people just aren't that interested in moving on and I can see why some would be tired of wasting their time with them. Losing your patience just pushes more people away, though, so I hope everyone will chill out and just don't respond if you're tired of dealing with it.

Totally NOT responding. ;)

Once I got a list from CanVox and others on replacements I tried and now love Mechanism and now AE. It's replaced my whole IC2 sorting system I had up and its better and more compact that it ever was. I also like the fact that, now we're able to get most of the updates to all the mods included, meaning we're not left in the past with the old buggy releases of mods.

I was sad at first, as I didn't know anything other than IC2 as I'd just discovered it, understood it and had a setup that worked well. But now glad of the update.

It's been suggested before, and I'll suggest it again, that we put a sticky thread mentioning IC2 & RP2 in the title, both here and in the Tekkit forum, explaining what the replacments are. It would probably cut down on the number of people posting topics like this.

I can't remember why I clicked on this page. I think I'd looked up something for Infamy.

Struggling to see what exactly this has to do with anything I said, much less in that post.

What exactly are you trying to tell me here?

For myself, I really like IC2 ITEMS and ARMOR. And yeah, it's true that there are a bunch of people raging about things taking IC2's place. I, for one, LOVE that Forestry is back. Especially the electric engines.

1. Modular Powersuits is the best fucking thing ever. Its a perfect example of capturing the spirit of IC2 but doing it better. Especially the newer versions with stuff like the ability to build in apiarist armor, the launchable decorative lights (though I do wish they would adjust those so they were more... opaque? So that they don't obscure the entire block they take up) and the omniwrench. Only thing that would make it better is if the multitool included a Forestry scoop.

2. Try to post with actual contributive content instead of just randomly typing out whatever idle thought crosses your mind. [/backseat mod]

• 2 months later...

Ahhh! Why is IC2 on Direwolf20 but not Big Dig?!? I can add it myself in a few clicks, I'm not concerned at all, I just want to know why it hasn't been added? Will it continue to slow the pack down? If IC2 goes back into motion, will the gods of Big Dig add it again?