WTF! IC2 IS GONE!

ace132010

Im not sure why or whos choice it is to remove IC2 but that was really really stupid. Why would you remove a mod that is probably one of the best out there? It had all the machines and equipement necessary to make MineCraft awesome... but now we have to half ass shit till some one gets the head out of their.... and puts it back in. As far as I can see there are ways to do what IC2 did but you make it ass backwards and so f.cuking complex. Look im not trying to be an ass or anything but I want a logical answer as to why. Other than that one fact.. this new version of Tekkit is amazing. But with out IC2 its a complete waste of time.

The only other problem is that there is a random 50x500 endless pit that seems to glitch... i have no idea what caused it but i have never had that problem before.

I like what the new Tekkit brings and i love the updates but taking out IC2 was the wrong thing. I just spent about an hour looking for ways to make this new version work without it but... with bending over and letting a creeper f.ck you.. i dont honestly see how you will be able to do half as much. Dash... obviously you couldn't deal with IC2 while the last packs had them. So tell me, what you going to do when your little world runs out of oil? I explored mine pretty far and i found enough to work a decent automated factory about 3 days.. IC2 had the ability to store mass amounts of power and used solar power. That is something that is now missing.

Look im not trying to be an ass or anything but I want a logical answer as to why.

The short answer is that IC2 hasn't been updated since...1.4.7? The original modder has apparently lost interest in it and there doesn't seem to be an official replacement modder/team, so there isn't an official version compatible with the latest version of Minecraft. Rather than let Tekkit stall until (if?) it eventually got updated it was dropped and replaced with other machines which perform more or less the same jobs. As far as I've been able to gather, anyway.

Yeah, the IC2 gap hasn't been completely filled, but there is still time for that to happen.

But with out IC2 its a complete waste of time

It's a bit harder and more of a grind yeah, but I wouldn't say it's a waste of time. At any rate at least it is still being updated with new content, whereas if we stuck with IC2 we'd still be on old-Minecraft and probably the 1.4.7 version of a lot of the other mods too.

IC2 was taken out because:

1. It's not been updated for over half a year.

2. It's a poorly coded, glitchy mess of a mod.

3. It's outdated both feature-wise and mechanics-wise.

4. It adds yet another separate energy network, which is just unnecessary. Currently Tekkit only needs MJ to run every machine out there.

5. It's been made COMPLETELY obsolete by other mods. Tools, armor, machines - everything is replaced. The only things there are no equivalents for in Tekkit are nuclear reactors and mining lasers (although there are plasma cannons and railguns). And in the next version of Tekkit, we will get the Big Reactors mod, which will add multiblock generators, including a nuclear one.

As for power production, there is the MineFactory Reloaded biofuel generator, which with a little set up can produce immense amounts of power completely autonomously. Not that you need that much power, Tekkit has far fewer big power consumers. Who needs oil when you can burn saplings that drop continuously from from a 25x25 auto tree farm?

Also, you are kind of an ass in your posts.

So tell me, what you going to do when your little world runs out of oil? I explored mine pretty far and i found enough to work a decent automated factory about 3 days.. IC2 had the ability to store mass amounts of power and used solar power. That is something that is now missing.

I don't know, create oil with an Oil Fabricator?

Honestly, your arguments amount to the same thing that everyone else who posts inflammatory topics like this one. IC2 was really good at solving problems IC2 created. Your claim that removing IC2 was a mistake only serves to highlight your ignorance and lack of investigation into why it was removed in the first place.

The only things there are no equivalents for in Tekkit are nuclear reactors and mining lasers

I would add Tier II machines to that list, I really miss upgrading my factories to mass-process materials much faster even if it did take a hell of a lot of energy.

Still, the point is that for all the flaws it has new Tekkit is still being updated and can have this stuff added in future, whereas IC2 Tekkit won't because everyone has moved on from developing for 1.4.7.

Shoe you are right about the 1.4.7 bit. I take it there wasnt a way to just force it through to make it work? Im not sure is harder is the word... the recipes for items that replace IC2 stuff is expensive(Time wise). To electronically smelt anything you now need to us a shit ton of sand... and get a by product of slag?. Not to mention the project table is gone. I have not found a replacement.. which is upsetting to me, i loved being able to mass produce with the project table. I would really like to see someone get IC2 working with this latest pack.

Cyclic Assembler - automate building with schematics.

Automatic Crafting Table - items can be placed and they don't pop off, similar to a project table

Powered Furnace - smelts without sand

Go learn Thermal Expansion, I'm sure you'll find there is much in it that replaces IC2.

Shoe you are right about the 1.4.7 bit. I take it there wasnt a way to just force it through to make it work?

From what I've heard a few people have made unofficial 1.5.1-compatible IC2 releases, but there's no guarantee they'll stick with it for the long term or that they'll balance it, make it play nice with other mods,etc. On top of that some of the general criticisms of IC2 were pretty valid to be honest.

I'll miss IC2 but I'm hoping most of the features will be replaced in newer versions of other mods.

TE devs are working on machine upgrades, King Lemming confirmed it on these very forums. There will also be solar arrays (PROPER arrays, not 1 block that has to face the sun), so we will get both high energy consumers and producers.

Now these are things I'll look forwards to, and this is why it's better to stick with updating mods than with a well-liked but stagnant one.

I take it there wasnt a way to just force it through to make it work?

Because why come up with a realistic and viable alternative that will be supported in the future when you can just try and bodge together a patch for a mod that is just going to create more and more problems as time goes on?

There are a ton of way to do the things you want. You're just not prepared to learn how. And the thing is you don't have to. Tekkit Lite and Tekkit Classic still exist.

Cyclic Assembler - automate building with schematics.

Automatic Crafting Table - items can be placed and they don't pop off, similar to a project table

Powered Furnace - smelts without sand

Go learn Thermal Expansion, I'm sure you'll find there is much in it that replaces IC2.

Don't forget the Molecular Assembler Chamber, which is the extremely powerful autocrafting system from Applied Energistics.

Applied Energistics is by far the most useful mod in Tekkit.

What it does is "converts" your items into bytes of data which can then be stored on disk drives. If all your items are stored on a disk drive you can then carry about that disk drive as a single item rather than having to carry stacks of everything you own. All your items can also be viewed in a single, searchable, sortable interface and the system can be configured to see items in other inventories, eg vanilla chests, ender chests, deep storage units, etc.

Now add in the ability to import and export items from this disk drive to other machines. So if you wanted to have an automatically refuelling furnace you just plug an export bus into it, configure it to export coal and then make sure it is wired up to your disk drives. Now as long as you have coal on this disk the furnace will never run out of fuel.

THEN add the ability to have the system automatically craft items. All you have to do is build the appropriate AE crafting machine, plug it into the network (so it can see all your items) and provide it with a pattern for the thing you want to make. Then from the same interface as you use to view your items you can request that it make stuff for you. And that's just scratching the surface...

The system is highly configurable, expandable, fast and compact.

... Not to mention expensive to build and maintain, but hey, we have to use our vast resource reserves on SOMETHING, right? Why not use them on a highly efficient, fancy and flexible item storage system?

Only thing is, I run out of quartz crystals way too fast.

Annoyingly I ran out of Certus Quartz last night. I hadn't planned on needing to set up another quarry for some time (given that I have vast reserves of every other raw material), but my first port of call this evening will be my remote desert quarry site. :(

As for power production, there is the MineFactory Reloaded biofuel generator, which with a little set up can produce immense amounts of power completely autonomously. Not that you need that much power, Tekkit has far fewer big power consumers. Who needs oil when you can burn saplings that drop continuously from from a 25x25 auto tree farm?

Yes, this is what I did in my server when I found out my beloved solar panels are gone. but then this requires you to use ender chests/tanks and pipes and maybe even chunk loaders which apparently are glitchy.

Also, There's a big power consumer. That infuser machine that powers your suit. God I've drained craptons of power into my suit barely charging it any. At least everything else uses very little power. It's just not very helpful trying to run oxygen farms on the moon when you can't have an infinite source of energy that requires no attention and no CPU / memory hogging tasks such as a tree farm, ender chest, chunk loader, ender tank and multiple bio reactors.

Maybe it's just me but Solar panels seemed massively OP. On our Tekkit Lite we just started with Solar and never had to think about anything else after that. I like the fact that in the new Tekkit I've had to start with steam engines (even though they did explode), graduate to a single and then multiple magmatic engines and am now working on replacing all that with BioFuel. I'm hoping that it won't be long before we'll have another tier which is even more complex.

I also don't think ANY system should be without some potential pitfalls. It just seems to take away alot of the fun if it's too easy. :)

Yes, this is what I did in my server when I found out my beloved solar panels are gone. but then this requires you to use ender chests/tanks and pipes and maybe even chunk loaders which apparently are glitchy.

Also, There's a big power consumer. That infuser machine that powers your suit. God I've drained craptons of power into my suit barely charging it any. At least everything else uses very little power. It's just not very helpful trying to run oxygen farms on the moon when you can't have an infinite source of energy that requires no attention and no CPU / memory hogging tasks such as a tree farm, ender chest, chunk loader, ender tank and multiple bio reactors.

Then make a magmatic engine back in the nether.

I turned the conversion of MJ to Joules up from 1 MJ=1 to something like 1 MJ=5. IMO, this should be a default. It takes a complete Redstone Energy Cell or two to charge a small portion of my suit. Whereas in Voltz, I don't need that much energy.

Maybe it's just me but Solar panels seemed massively OP. On our Tekkit Lite we just started with Solar and never had to think about anything else after that. I like the fact that in the new Tekkit I've had to start with steam engines (even though they did explode), graduate to a single and then multiple magmatic engines and am now working on replacing all that with BioFuel. I'm hoping that it won't be long before we'll have another tier which is even more complex.

I also don't think ANY system should be without some potential pitfalls. It just seems to take away alot of the fun if it's too easy. :)

Exactly, IC2 was more like a race for the best Compact Solars. I like this a lot better.

Certus Quartz is dificult to obtain but seems to be quite enhanced with the fortune enchantment (which I find quite silly if we are aimed to be dressed in power armor tools).

Giving some feedback on the mod, I have a small server with its controller, an ME drive with some drives, an acces terminal and an IO interface.

The maintenance of the server is quite cheap, as you only require energy to interact with it (and with some closed-loop steam engines is pretty easy). I've even manage to feed the whole system with the server thanks an IO interface, a buildcraft pipe circuit and some redstone engines to push the wood around, so the input circuit is never empty but never gets overwhelmed. This way you can also separate the harvester/planter/sawmill circuit, having the overproduction of wood storaged and ready for your acces.

The costs of crafting, of course, is overwhelming. The dependance on cestus quartz is too heavy to have a large system and the cables are too expensive for what's worth (the best way is to do extend the network vertically and rely of buildcraft pipes for the item movement.

Lastly on the mod, the grinder is a life-saver, specially when starting up. It's a nice way to have a Tier0 pulverizer.

Finally, for the OP. I had the same feeling when I started. The bundle of mods is overwhelming and chaotic. Even more with some minor bugs. Despite that, is very playable. I've been studying and mastering each mod one by one.

My recommendation would be:

- Forget about galacticcraft and dimensional doors for the moment : they don't provide anything, specially starting (maybe dimensional, but it's to tedious and time-consuming).

- Study TE: They are swapping IC2 (with it's gaps, but it works). Setting up is a little bit harsh but you will get there eventually.

- Apply Minefactory: Magma engines closed systems aren't required, they are easy to set but the deployment costs are far superior than the steam ones. With the seconds you don't require going to the nether and the materials are easily obtainable.

- Use invar: Armor and equipment works as diamond while being far more easy to obtain and craft. Also you will want to spare the diamonds.

- Close the loop with applied energeticist: Once you have a nice working base, AE would help managing stocks, specially for the bigg ass miner harrasing the landscape. It can also work sideways, giving the crap to the filler in order to refill the hole.

- Become an Ironman: When everything is running, become proggressively a god by implementing upgrades to the suit of power suits.