1.1.0 Mekanism World-gen question

street_carp

So after managing to get Tekkit 1.1.0 working I've been playing around with it in singleplayer and noticed a new mineral has been introduced in the form of Mekanism's Osmium. As a server admin the first thing that occurred to me was how this was going to be managed in the update for servers updating from 1.0.6 to 1.1.0. Will osmium ore only be spawned in new chunks? This would be a pretty big problem for me since my server has been explored rather extensively in both the overworld and the nether (upwards of 15Km in all directions from spawn). I was just wondering if anybody with experience in Mekanism could confirm how this is likely to work.

I'm far from an expert in these things (and have no experience with Mekanism yet), but I think it'll have to be only in new chunks. I'm already planning on using some seriously-long-range Dimensional Doors to get out to new-chunk territory.

There's some new mechanic with an ink mixer block. I think you've to add ink and paper to it to get unlinked pages and use one of those with leather to make a linking book. They seem to have changed a fair bit of Mystcraft in this update.

For now it will only spawn in new chunks, but I'm adding a flag to CoFHWorld that will force regen all of the ores it handles (this includes Osmium in the Tekkit pack).

Will see about getting that pushed soon.

really curious how that would work -- would it regen only ore pockets? Or all world blocks? Or all stone/ore blocks?

For now it will only spawn in new chunks, but I'm adding a flag to CoFHWorld that will force regen all of the ores it handles (this includes Osmium in the Tekkit pack).

Will see about getting that pushed soon.

I've been wondering why so few mods add the option of retroactive worldgen. I'm assuming that's due to the danger of overwriting existing player structures with the new ore/beehive/tree blocks?