Conductive Pipe vs. Conduit/Tesseract

Digdug83

Right now I'm sort of on the fence regarding this subject and want to know general thoughts on the different setups. I know you could configure tesseract transfer rates and loss in Lite but I don't see those options in the TE config file for Tekkit. 20% is a ripoff IMHO so I wanted to do something like 5-10% since 5% is what conduits are anyway. I would prefer conduits and tesseracts as they can accept larger inputs than BC pipes (32 MJ/t is just gross) but if I can't reconfigure the tesseracts I'm not sure it's worth it. Thoughts?

interesting -- tesseract maxtransfer used to be under the 'tweaks' section. From what I understand, the conduits no longer have any loss, but I don't know about configuring the tesseract loss.

I don't worry too much about it because once I get a good power setup going I make so much power I don't even notice the 20% loss.

ill be honest, 20% is nothing. the only thing that would use that much power is a AE system (ive had up to 200 Mj/t consumption) and even then my energy production system far surpasses any loss made on tesseracts. Everything, and i mean everything in my base is powered by tesseracts. if you think 20% is a ripoff, well until not too long ago it was 25% + any loss in conduits. right now is just a flat 20%

btw, conduits have no loss, same for new BC conductive pipes. so if you still care for that small loss just use golden conductive pipes and up, or a simple conduit line.

both of those have NO energy loss

• Discord Moderator

@CharlieChop: Might be slightly off topic, but just a question. Was your AE system at 200 Units/t or 200 MJ/t? The "units" displayed in the ME Controller need to be divided by 5 if powered by MJ so it would claim 1000 units/t of consumption to be at 200 MJ/t. No criticism at all and all joking aside I would LOVE to see a massive AE setup that was using that much juice. Sweet delicious ME networks! :)

@CharlieChop: Might be slightly off topic, but just a question. Was your AE system at 200 Units/t or 200 MJ/t? The "units" displayed in the ME Controller need to be divided by 5 if powered by MJ so it would claim 1000 units/t of consumption to be at 200 MJ/t. No criticism at all and all joking aside I would LOVE to see a massive AE setup that was using that much juice. Sweet delicious ME networks! :)

it was MJ/t, thats after i divided by 5.

it was basically everything i ever needed plugged into a single massive network. from manufacturing to ore processing to auto crafting (manufacturing is how i call the branch of my network whose sole responsibility is having hardened glass, glass bronze, steel etc when i need it, while auto crafting is the MAC and some cyclic assemblers) to farming and energy production.

that and a couple thousand ME cables and a crap ton of buses, level emiters, and a TON of deep storage units with 4 or 5 64k storage disks. OH! don't forget about bio fuel generation, Steve carts refueling, industrial fertilizer collection and delivery as well as harvesters and planters and what not. i think i even plugged my Atomic Science department for production of deuterium and the extraction of antimatter from my Hadron collider.

it was then that i realized i was killing Dew's server xD so i basically tore it down and im in the process of making it all compact and able to be kept online on a single 3*3 chunk area. quite the job if i say so... specially when all that i mentioned earlier was housed in a massive underground bunker covering at least 5*10 chunks and 60+ levels (blocks)

i think the only thing i never plugged into my AE system was the combustion engines and the bio generators.

am i forgetting something Dew?

Edit :

Quantum bridges easily skyrocket your power consumption in AE too :(

quantum bridges do not extract energy from the AE networks. so my 500 ish MJ/t was from AE network itself. by the time i added my first quantum bridge i had 40% of the network torn down.

I never said they did. I said they skyrocket energy consumption (as opposed to not having them). 40 MJ/t is a lot compared to an average ME network, and that's just one bridge :( Those two guys alone probably make up 50% of my power drain right now.

Out of curiosity how many CPU's and pattern providers do you have? My Tekkit Lite setup had 24 CPU's and 6 pattern providers (4hx3wx17l), half of which were full (mostly IC2/AE crap).

Should see mine then...when I have it all OnLine it eats almost 1000 per tick...

For some reason my Edit window comes up White and I can't edit...?

I have 75 CPUs and 25 Pattern Providers, and countless BUS's, one and a half disk drive's full of 64k Drives and a quantum bridge linking to another network that I usually keep offline unless needed.

Here's another related question. Do tesseracts (specifcally energy) have a per face limitation like REC's? I had 182 biofuel generators linked via conduit to 30 REC's, all set to maximum input and output. 3 sides are in, 3 sides are out. The two networks don't touch each other so the REC's are constantly trying to refill each other. Originally I had no problem powering my whole base with one conduit going into a single tesseract. However recently I started playing with laser drills (fantastic contraptions, quarries are so ugly IMHO) and discovered that, despite my having set energy tesseracts transfer limit to 10000 in the config file, the drills weren't getting enough juice (I have 5 drills with 4 prechargers each). Since my generators are producing 2912 MJ/t and the REC network can potentially output 9000 MJ/t I should have been able to feed all 5 from one tesseract. This however is not the case. I ended up setting a tesseract for each drill and then putting 4 total tesseracts in the generator room, each with 5 connections.

So after all that what I want to know is this; maximum transfer rate for both conduits and what if any transfer rate for energy tesseracts. I've read that conduits do either 1K or 2K MJ/t but does anyone have any hard math on these things?

I think the limit for conduits is 1K MJ/t per connection, but the conduits themselves have no limit. I've also heard that the max for tesseracts is 100MJ/t.

Conduits transport MORE than 2,000 MJ/t (thats when i stopped caring about the limit and stopped experimenting)

tesseracts have a 100 MJ/t limit PER face. for a total of 600 MJ/t

Conduits transport MORE than 2,000 MJ/t (thats when i stopped caring about the limit and stopped experimenting)

tesseracts have a 100 MJ/t limit PER face. for a total of 600 MJ/t

Charlie, if that's the case, then can you maybe help me figure out what is going on with my testing (see link above)? It was not a flat 100 MJ/t per face like I expected (or else there was something wrong with my setup).

Weir I think that's an interesting problem that only occurs when two sides of a tesseract are outputing to the same conduit pieces of conduit, As I can slap a tesseract between two laser drill prechargers and get the same 100 mj/t to both of them, and when I set my power systems I put a tess in the corner and each branch seems to get 100mj/t in each direction, now when i hook up multiple sides with the same conduit i get the weird outcome you described.

Alright I did some more testing on conduits (hooray boredom) and found that they seem to have a 3000 MJ/t transfer limit/buffer. Basically I hooked up a ton of REC's via conduit to a tesseract (I should mention I disabled tesseract energy loss for this test and set the tesseract max output to 10000) and set all REC's to 0/0 so the conduit would flood and build up network saturation to 100%. I then started setting individual REC's to 1 input at a time and measuring saturation rates. After a few odd readings I found that saturation was dropping 0.1% for every 3 MJ/t demand I put on the conduit network. After scaling up a bit I found no difference in the math so it appears the upper limit is indeed 3000 MJ/t.

Which means that my math on laser drills was way off as each precharger was taking 5% network saturation to keep powered (they have their own face of a single tesseract), or 150 MJ/t according to this math. I had originally thought they took only 100 MJ/t as that was what the input end of the conduit was saying. This would corroborate why I can't seem to operate as many of my drills as I had previously thought I could.

I don't suppose anyone feels like verifying my math? It'd be nice to get some numbers up on the wiki.

Which ever one has some sort of something to detect weather power is flowing is the better one. I wish I could detect power flow.

If you're talking visual detection then that would conductive pipes since they give you a visual representation of how much power they have in each pipe length. You can detect power use in conduits and most machines with the multimeter (that's what I was using above). Conduits have no energy loss, either at short or long range, have a gigantic transfer rate (diamond conductive can 'only' transmit 2048 MJ/t) and to top it all off they can be made directional.

I'm talk'n red-stone detection. A conductive pipe that emits a red-stone signal when energy is passing through. Much like the red-stone item or fluid pipes. It shocks me that something like that isn't already installed.

Perhaps I'm not understanding but it sounds like you want a build-craft gate. A simple build-craft gate can be set to emit a redstone signal when power is traveling through a conductive pipe.